Go Bottom Go Bottom

PTO or pull behind fertilizer spreader

View my Photos
WhitleyStu
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2013-04-20          186777

I am in the market for a new fertilizer spreader to replace the Agri Fab 175 lb. capacity pull behind spreader I have now. I will be using the new spreader behind my BX 2230 for a 3 acre yard. I like the idea of a spreader powered by the PTO, but have never used one. I don’t have any places where I have to back up so I am also considering a pull behind spreader like the Spyker. Any thoughts on the two I have listed?
Thanks,
Stu
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200356624_200356624
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200451680_200451680

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2013-04-20          186778

If if wasn't for the size of your tractor, I'd automatically recommend the three point. I originally bought one of those pull behinds, but took it straight back for a refund. It bounced like crazy, and when the wheels are off the ground - the rotor is not throwing material. Plus, I broke a finger trying to hold it down and drive at the same time. That said, this was on pasture. Your lawn is not likely precipitate all that bouncing

But I can't help but wonder a six bushel three point model is too much for your little Kubota. Even if you can lift a full hopper and still steer, your 16 PTO horsepower might not be able to get the rotor spinning under the weight of six bushels of fertilizer. And if you only partially fill it, what's the sense of paying for capacity you can't use?

I'd still recommend a three point model, just think smaller. Click below to see one that won't tax your PTO, it operates on 12 volts. Plus the poly bin and stainless rotor mean you can use it with salt and sand as well. Otherwise, you may be wise to stick with a ground-driven model.

//greg// ....

Link:   12v 3pt spreader

View my Photos
hardwood

2013-04-21          186788

I've had a little Deere pull behind, it holds about two bags, it is pretty much all plastic so it has held together plus I try to always rinse it as soon as I'm done. The concern I have had about a three point is like was said the weight on the little Kubota plus my bigger concern is that a tractor is something we normally don't replace very often so the fact that fertilizer is so corrosive that even small amounts that would get on the tractor might start some rust problems.

Frank. ....

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2013-04-24          186815

I have used a 3 pth one that will hold about 7 to 800 pounds of fertilizer on a B2700 Kubota. Would think a small 3pth would work fine. As to being to much of load for pto doubt it would unless you have a big auger in the spreader. Some have almost nothing in there to stir the fertilizer, like mine. ....

View my Photos
Briguy

2013-08-26          187934

I know this is an older thread but it popped up and i thought i'd comment. I have a 175 lb tow behind and do wish it were bigger...lol.It works fine but needs refilled more than i like. I looked into a 3pt hitch spreader and then thought....my neighbors like to borrow my stuff quite often. If i got a 3 pt spreader they would be asking to use it and my 650 and there's no way their getting their hands on my jd. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2013-08-26          187936

Had to reread it to fully understand and then I chuckled. I have learned rather loan my tractor with operator than alone. That way it is taken care of and they feel like I did them a favor. Seems many don't think borrowing a tractor is a favor like you doing the work. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login