Go Bottom Go Bottom

Kubota rear hydraulics for a log splitter

View my Photos
jonathanengr
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-02-12          160234

I'm thinking of purchasing a log splitter for my tractor, but I don't have the optional rear hydraulic connections for the tractor. My tractor is a 3430 HSTC (cab) tractor, and I called the dealer to get a rough cost of adding the rear hydraulics to it. I was told it would be $800 or $900... is this correct??? Is there a kit I can buy and add it myself? My Dad had this done to his some time ago (he has a 3130 gear tractor), and it cost just shy of $500.

I don't split very much wood--I mainly use it for my firepit out back--but the trees I saw and split are usually very large (I just saw up fallen trees on the property). Thus, a splitter would be very useful. I planned on buying the splitter they sell at Tractor Supply for $669. Anyone know anything about these? I assume it's pretty simple--just a hydrailic cylinder with a wedge attached to it.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-02-12          160240

I have asked on the same for my B and extra valve for my M and the price is a little more than I was given for those. Might add, decided I really did not need them as much as I wanted them.

Can not answer this but you have a FEL, correct? Can you not run it off of those hoses? ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2009-02-12          160242

Even though my tractor has rear hydraulics I opted for a tow behind splitter. It's easier to mount and this way it can be towed to woods, parked, and free the tractor up to haul split wood from the splitter for dumping in a truck bed or at the woodpile for stacking. I bought a used Honda powered Speeco 25 ton tow behind splitter for less than you are being quoted for rear hydraulics. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2009-02-12          160243

Jon, wish I had tought to add this to my first post. You will find many who suggest as Ken sort did you are better off to have a seperate engine power splitter. Due to pump design think you get a quicker cycle time also. Also many do not like running the tractor engine and pumps when a must less expensive engine and pump will do the job as well or possibly better. Again, I am repeating this as I have never used a spliter from tractor hyd and it has been years since I have used a hyd splitter. Now the old heavy one you swing, used it a few months ago. For oak had rather split it with that then lift it. Well the one or two trees I will split over a two year period for smoking use. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2009-02-12          160247

I agree with KW. A self-contained splitter is the way to go. I traded a splitter with a huge 8" cylinder on it and used my skid steer to power it. I have 18 GPM and it takes way too long, and I can't use the skid steer at the same time either.

And every hour you rack up using the tractor is one less you'll get out of it when you need it--or trade/sell it. Some guys I know rent out their towable splitters to neighbors.

I doubt you'll have enough GPM to adequately power a wood splitter even of you have rear remotes; you might have spend another $500 for a PTO-powered pump. My New Holland rear remote kit cost about $280 (discounted) 7 years ago. They wanted another $400 to install it. I did it in 4 hours. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2009-02-12          160248

Jon, long time no see!

I run a log splitter on the remotes of my 4310 quite a bit, no problem, in fact I normally have it hooked to a pair of 25' long lines that go up the right side to the FEL where I have the splitter mounted in place of the bucket.

I'm pretty sure by the time the hydraulic fluid goes through the remote valve, remote QD fittings, 25' of lines, another set of QD fittings, the splitters lines and the splitters valves there's not much flow left, but it still splits every bit as fast as I care to split wood.

I've done the calc's before, and it's always the same, people talk about big flow, and then open a 24" cylinder fully, then close it again fully, compared to my smaller flow, and only opening and closing it as far as necessary, I'm still running faster.

The average firewood I burn is 14", some 12" and some 16", but if I only need say 16" to fit a 14" piece with some room to spare, then opening and closing the extra 8" means 50% of the time the cylinder is doing nothing usefull.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
jonathanengr

2009-02-12          160254

Murf--

Yes--it has been a while! You know how it is... life gets busy with kids, etc., and playing with my tractor takes a back seat.

So... you answered one of my biggest questions... the splitter *can* be run off of the front hydraulic lines? My FEL has four connectors, and the loader is operated by a stick in my cab. I was afraid that the log spliiter needed a "raw" line fron the hydraulic pump so you could operate the splitter with the hydraulic control on the splitter. Is this not the case? Do you know which of the four connections I would run the lines to? My dad actually sells hydraulic hose, so getting a longer length would be no problem.

Most fo the wood I cut is 16" in length, and splitting time (as long as a cycle isn't 5 mins) isn't that big of a deal. The way I see it is right now I split it by hand. It takes me 30 secs to get the wedge started, and if it's a clean split it takes another 20-30 seconds. Lather, rinse, repeat. I'm not sawing and splitting firewood for a living--to me, it's theraputic. And paying just shy of $700 for a splitter is a good price.

Anyway, I have absolutely no other use for the rear hydraulics, so if I can run it off of the front hydraulics, that would be absolutely perfect. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2009-02-13          160255

The better one to use would be the boom up/down.

Besides being the easiest to hold the valve open with a bungee cord (technically a no-no) it has the better flow rate and usually the bucket dump is restriced to keep the dump limited to a safe speed.

Best of luck. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login