Box Blade Use On John Deere Compact Tractors: Tractor Implements  -- Tractor Attachments Implements 3ph Discussion Forum and Review Box Blade Use On John Deere Compact Tractors: Tractor Implements -- Tractor Attachments Implements 3ph Discussion Forum

parts   |   manuals   |   discussion   |   photos   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   contact   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index
New As Posted | Active Subjects

www.emerichsales.com - New & Used Equipment
          View Tractors For Sale!

www.partsbynet.com - Lawn and Garden Equipment Parts

Bernardsville Landscape Lighting
Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Tractor Implements Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 10-01-2007, 09:14 Post: 146327
Chief

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 Box Blade Use On John Deere Compact Tractors

I recently purchased a box blade for my 4410 and was wondering if anyone else has been using a box blade with any of the John Deere compact tractors. Any problems of issues with using them? Any broken transmission case rockshaft mounts? etc.?

Reason I am asking is that while doing a search for info. on box blades; I noticed that John Deere no longer lists box blades as an attachment for their compact tractors. This begs the question in my mind..........is this just an administrative oversight or are box blades not authorized or recommended for use with these tractors any longer due to the cast aluminum transmission casings breaking?

I haven't had any problems with breakage but I have not used a box blade yet either. I have read about a number of transmission casings breaking with box blade use.

Any feedback, comment, or suggestions welcome.

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us | Stumble This

10-01-2007, 09:45 Post: 146330
Murf

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

I've 'heard' (unconfirmed rumours) that several of my colleagues (mostly in the landscaping trade) have had problems with broken castings, but not related to the use of a box blade. I have not spoken to the owners themselves directly.

In one instance it was a 3pth tree spade that was blamed, in another a power rake, in the third it was a B/H which was deemed to be the culprit.

Although it is again merely what I heard, in 2 of the 3 cases cited the broken casting was fixed under warranty, no questions asked.

I do know that (from an engineering point of view) the use of 3pth ground engaging implements transfer a LOT of stress to the machine, and the design of a CUT (or any other tractor) being what it is, that means the stress gets passed along to the TX case amongst other components.

It could be an instance of engineering down the safety margin to the point where either the line gets crossed in a few cases, or the load gets so close to the line repeatedly that a failure occurs.

Best of luck.

10-01-2007, 11:30 Post: 146343
kwschumm

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

I've used a Frontier 72" box blade without any trouble so far. Probably not more than 15-20 hours of use on it. My useage has been to regrade some back roads and trails. I've used the rippers to pull through some roots that were probably no more than 2-3" thick max.

10-01-2007, 11:41 Post: 146347
DRankin

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

There are still numerous references to box blades on the web site including the link below and the down-loadable owners manuals. Here is a quote from the 3000 series manual:

"Positioning Center Link

MX5212

For light and medium draft loads: Install center link (A) in bottom hole (B) of mounting bracket. Example of light and medium draft load implements would include a landscape rake.

For medium and heavy draft loads: Install center link in middle hole (C) of mounting bracket. Example of medium and heavy draft load implements would include a tiller or box blade.

For very heavy draft loads: Install center link in top hole (D) of mounting bracket. Example of very heavy draft load implements would include a plow or ripper."

Link:   Click Here 

10-01-2007, 11:50 Post: 146348
DennisCTB

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Randy,

The classic photo for Kubota and Deere always seems to be a tractor with a loader and a box scraper. Its like mom and apple pie, though I understand your concern when you thought they were removing the apple pie from the equation.

10-01-2007, 12:04 Post: 146351
Murf

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Let me clarify by saying that I hear of several CUTs a year with broken cases. It is not brand specific.

The one common denominator though seems to be the experience level of the operator, the less experienced the operator, the higher the likelihood of damage in some form.

One big no-no I see all the time is using a box blade in reverse. The blade is often designed to be used in reverse, but the 3pth is not, the various linkages such as stabilizers and such are often bent and broken as they are designed to take a load in just one direction.

Overall though it seems the FEL is still far and away the biggest offender in the "broken tractor" category.

Best of luck.

10-01-2007, 12:22 Post: 146353
earthwrks

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

I know of 2 Deeres in the 4-45 HP both had rear ring and pinion shattering issues. One had a FEL the other was (ab)using a box blade to pull small stumps.

10-01-2007, 12:26 Post: 146355
DennisCTB

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Ouch!! It is amazing the things that people will try to do with a tractor, more so if they are only renting or borrowing it.

In some cases their cleverness helps to keep them out of the genetic gene pool. Wink yeah right

10-01-2007, 12:59 Post: 146364
kleinchris

Chief,
I have a 27 hp JD and aslo a 50 hp JD that both came with Frointier box blades (I did not pick out this equipment.) I had been using the smaller box blade for grading when I decided to try to trade the larger blde in for a grader blade which I did not have- long story short, I wound up with a Cat 2 grader blade that I needed to run off a 27 hp, cat 1 tractor. This was a bunch of extra wieght on the back of the machine, but other than that, it worked great. No bent parts, nothing broken. I was using it for light grading and spreaing crushed limestone. Granted, I could have been more agresive, but I was getting the feeling that it would stall my engine before I did any damage to the 3 point assembly.

10-01-2007, 23:04 Post: 146402
hardwood

TP Contributor

Filter by User

Anytime there isn't another attachment, backhoe, three pt. mower, etc. on my 4310 the box blade is on if for no other reason than to be ballast for the FEL. I've moved a lot of soil with it but have always been a bit on the work shallow and work slow side. It's not if, but when you catch a rock or root that won't move and you happen to be going a bit too fast that the sudden shock can break things. I personally haven't heard of a Deere or any other color compact being broken for any reason. Deere offers a frame reinforcemnt kit for the 4000 and 4000ten series. I did have one installed on mine as a precaution. I learned about them here on TP. My dealer had never heard of them or knew of any tractor frames that had broken but ordered one for me. I don't remember the cost, but it wasn't bad for a pretty hefty piece of welded steel. I have to agree three point hitches are meant to pull only. My box blade, (Land Pride) has a blade on the rear of the box designed to push with, but I've never used it. With any kind of common sense useage I wouldn't get too concerned about breaking any housings. Frank.

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Tractor Implements Forum

Thread 146327 Filter by Poster:
Chief 3 | DennisCTB 2 | DRankin 1 | earthwrks 2 | hardwood 2 | kleinchris 1 | kthompson 1 | kwschumm 2 | Murf 2 |

Most Viewed

+ Tractor Category 1 2 3 Hitch sizes Defined
+ What is 3 point hitch draft control?
+ Howse impliments are junk.
+ Farmi vs. Fransgard Logging Winch
+ Spike tooth drag/harrow
+ Tractor Implements Category 1 vs Category 0
+ Rock picker
+ Kubota rear hydraulics for a log splitter
+ Road-Boss-Grader
+ Box Scraper size

Most Discussion