Review: FlexPoint 3PH Receiver Hitch: Tractor Implements  -- Tractor Attachments Implements 3ph Discussion Forum and Review Review: FlexPoint 3PH Receiver Hitch: Tractor Implements -- Tractor Attachments Implements 3ph Discussion Forum

parts   |   manuals   |   discussion   |   photos   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   contact   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index
New As Posted | Active Subjects

www.emerichsales.com - New & Used Equipment
          View Tractors For Sale!

www.partsbynet.com - Lawn and Garden Equipment Parts

Bernardsville Landscape Lighting
Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Tractor Implements Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 07-07-2006, 10:46 Post: 131817
DennisCTB

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 Review: FlexPoint 3PH Receiver Hitch

This is a message thread to post your own review of the FlexPoint Receiver Hitch. Please use the format below. You cna read the TP review at the link below.

Overall Rating ( 1-5 5=Excellent)

Pros (1-4 brief comments)

Cons (1-4 brief comments)

Review Commentary

Summary

Link:   FlexPoint Hitch Review 

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us | Stumble This

07-07-2006, 15:08 Post: 131838
kthompson

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Any idea how much weight this unit will pull safely? Is a ball mount for gooseneck trailer an option?

09-03-2006, 16:59 Post: 133929
earthwrks

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Fastalker: I'm going to be critically constructive:

Here's a cautionary tale:
Last year a friend of mine sold trailers in Michigan that were made by someone else was sued. He welded a drop down lawnmower gate on the rear of a trailer sold by another dealer to a landscaper. Landscaper picked it up, connected it to a truck with the wrong-sized ball. Trailer came off on the road and killed a passing family riding in a car. The victims' family sued the original dealer, the landscaper, and my friend. My friend who admittedly should have cooperated with the law system didn't feel he was at fault. So he let his insurance co. handle it. Turns out he wasn't insured for manufacturing but was for selling trailers. He showed up for court the day it was to be settled, and lost. His portion of the judgment was $980,000 for doing nothing more than making a gate for $300. Now he is selling his acreage and business, and divorcing his wife on paper to move his assets. He doesn't know if can appeal since he was lax to begin with.

I have a background in automotive product liability, design, and failure mode analysis. And I have had my own products marketed over the years.

NOTE: Fasttalker, after reading my post decided to delete his original post which I quoted. Then I replied to Oneace's recent concern that someone didn't want the link to www.summitfab.com revealed, so I posted that---and that post was deleted by someone without my consent. Looks like censorship to me or rather protectionism.

"The Flexpoint Standard Model FPHS-1 is rated for 10,000 lbs."

>>>>How did you arrive at this rating? By actual destructive testing, or as I suspect by guesstimation (comparing other products). And what is the safety margin: 3:1, 4:1? I notice there is no reinforcing or doubling or swaging around the end of the reciever tube which means under the right conditions the tube could split in any direction (and that's assuming using your published albeit grossly exaggerated ratings). Even under the best circumsatnces the non-reinforced open end will become enlarged as the hitch wobbles around in the opening--just like my Dodge's trailer hitch which is a Class 4 and reinforced.

"The lift arm pins are the limiting factor."

>>>>>Whaaaat? Show me a CUT that lift can something heavy enough to break the lift arm pins. I can lift the front of my CUT with front weights just lifting my full box blade!

"With respect to your question as to the amount of weight that can be towed safely, it will depend entirely on your tractor specifications."

>>>>>Buddy, you are going to get sued BIG time time by the estate of the guy who "towed" his trailer using this product. You need to specify that it is NOT intended for towing, may result in a loss of steering, NOT intended for any applications that would require brakes or other safety equipment in the event the tractor and or the trailer got away from you---like going up/down a hill---OR on ice, mud, rain, loose gravel, etc. What's going to happen when the tractor jackknifes under a gooseneck due to losing steering control, no braking, etc.---someone's going to get killed. Or it's entirely possible with a regular bumper tow hitch to have the trailer jackknife and have a rear tire being rolled over onto by the trailer tongue--providing the hitch doesn't ride up first or the ball breaks off. (anecdote: I was working in New Orleans last Fall cleaning up debris. Their highway on-ramps are little wider than a vehicle. I saw jammed on the I-10 on-ramp a 15-yard bumper-tow dump trailer going up the ramp with the tow vehicle, a new Ford Super Duty wrapped around the left side facing the opposite direction jammed in between the barrier wall and the trailer. That my friends, will put the Fear of God in you)

"The Model FPHS-EG is recommended for towing gooseneck trailers and is rated at 18,000 lbs; recommended tongue weight is 10,000 lbs."

>>>>> You gotta be joking---10,000 lb. tongue weight on the rear of a CUT or any Cat-1 tractor hitch? What are you thinking? You'll be buying a heck of a lot of tractors with broken axles/tires buddy, not to mention those that overturn as they are lifted off the ground since there's no upper-travel limiter----read: absence of safety equipment. The operator could find the hitch planted in his back when the trailer hitch ball snaps off as his buddy was loading his dozer off the gooseneck. Or the guy that has a his big dump trailer that he's dumping and the load gets stuck in the back coming out. Or overturns dumping on uneven ground.

>>>>>It's painfully obvious you don't carry expensive product liability insurance. If you do, you are not disclosing this product line to your underwriter. Nor have you showed your web site info and other documents to a product liability attorney worth his salt. There is NO way they would let you sell these based on the ratings and info you have provided. Let a lawyer look
at it, then your insurance underwriter----hyped-up 10,000 lb. ratings will fast become "Use at your own peril. Not responsible for damage to personal property, injury or injury that may result from using this product"----that advice would cost ya about $5000 from a lawyer... and I won't even charge ya for that Smile

09-04-2006, 12:20 Post: 133936
oneace

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

EW are you talking to the wall again?

09-04-2006, 15:59 Post: 133940
earthwrks

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Whatchou talkin' 'bout, Willis?

09-04-2006, 17:11 Post: 133941
oneace

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

I am assuming that some one deleted a post before yours? Because I have no Idea what you are referring to in most of your post.

09-04-2006, 17:16 Post: 133942
kwschumm

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

It looks like fastwalker19 read what EW said, reconsidered his post and deleted it.

09-04-2006, 17:17 Post: 133943
oneace

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Not the first time that has happened.

09-04-2006, 20:25 Post: 133952
oneace

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

EW you will have to e-mail it to me some one does not want it seen.

09-04-2006, 21:12 Post: 133954
earthwrks

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Oneace you're right somebody doesn't want it seen---I posted the link and my post was deleted by someone. I'll send to you and anyone else who wants it. Try www.summitfab.com

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Tractor Implements Forum

Thread 131817 Filter by Poster:
DennisCTB 2 | DRankin 2 | earthwrks 3 | JasonR 1 | kthompson 2 | kwschumm 1 | kyvette 1 | Murf 1 | oneace 4 | Peters 1 | yooperpete 1 |

Most Viewed

+ Tractor Category 1 2 3 Hitch sizes Defined
+ What is 3 point hitch draft control?
+ Howse impliments are junk.
+ Farmi vs. Fransgard Logging Winch
+ Spike tooth drag/harrow
+ Tractor Implements Category 1 vs Category 0
+ Rock picker
+ Kubota rear hydraulics for a log splitter
+ Road-Boss-Grader
+ Box Scraper size

Most Discussion