Deisel coolant temperature: Tractor Engine Repair Rebuild  -- Tractor Maintenance Discussion Forum and Review Deisel coolant temperature: Tractor Engine Repair Rebuild -- Tractor Maintenance Discussion Forum

parts   |   manuals   |   discussion   |   photos   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   contact   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index
New As Posted | Active Subjects

www.emerichsales.com - New & Used Equipment
          View Tractors For Sale!

www.partsbynet.com - Lawn and Garden Equipment Parts

Bernardsville Landscape Lighting
Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Tractor Engine Repair Rebuild Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 10-16-2000, 21:36 Post: 20632
MikeC

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 Deisel coolant temperature

I think my JD855 might be runnning too cool. This would help explain some of the excessive exhaust smell/smoke. I took out the thermostat and heated it in a pot of water along with a thermometer. It seems to be opening at about 160 F. I own the technical manual for this tractor, but I can't find any reference to the correct water tempeture. Does anyone know if 160 F. is too low? I would have thought a deisel would want to run at 180 or higher. Thanks in advance for your help.

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us | Stumble This

10-16-2000, 22:45 Post: 20633
Bird Senter

TP Contributor

Filter by User

Mike, I can't say for sure on John Deere, but would think it would be about the same as my B2710 and the manual says "opening temperature" should be 176.9 to 182.3 and completely open at 203F. In other words, I think you're right; may need a new thermostat.

10-23-2000, 19:36 Post: 20801
MikeC

Filter by User

OK, here's the rest of the saga... In addition to only reaching 160F, the temperature would fluctuate between 160F and 100F. It would slowly rise to 160, then drop fairly quickly down to 100, then start the cycle over again. I assumed the temperature was dropping when the thermostat opened, but why so low? I installed a new thermostat, and then the temperature cycled between 180F and 100F. Next, I covered 2 thirds of the radiator screen with duct tape. Then it cycled between 120 and 180. Next, I drained the coolant and refilled with antifreeze concentrate, no dilution. Now it cycles between 135 and 180. I'm still confused. Next I think I'll try removing the radiator completely and wrapping the engine in an electic blanket. Any thoughts?

10-23-2000, 22:06 Post: 20816
Bird Senter

TP Contributor

Filter by User

Mike, right now I don't know what would cause the temperature fluctuations you're talking about, but I do know you don't want to run undiluted antifreeze. In fact, it should be no stronger than 50/50 mix. Where and how are you taking the temperature that gets those fluctuations?

10-24-2000, 07:35 Post: 20827
TomG

TP Contributor

Filter by User

I believe that cooling systems have to have the rad cap in place for normal operation. If temperature readings are taken with the cap off and with the engine at idle, the readings may not reflect actual operating conditions.

However, what you describe may be normal at idle speed. The temperature sensor is taken from the engine coolant. Before the thermostat opens, there is little circulation between fluids in the engine and in the rad. Temperature in the rad is cool relative to the engine. When the thermostat opens, cool fluid from the rad flows into the engine, and the temperature decreases. The thermostat closes, or partially so. While the thermostat is closed, temperature in the rad cools, and temperature builds again in the engine. If the engine isn't producing much heat at idle, the temperature swings could be fairly wide.

10-24-2000, 19:25 Post: 20836
MikeC

Filter by User

Bird, I forgot to mention that I installed an electric automotive type water temp guage. I put the sender in a existing threaded hole in what looks like the output side of the water pump housing. The sender for the over-temp idiot light is right next to the thermostat - on the engine side of the thermostat. Would the location of my sender affect the readings? Tom, I checked the temp both at idle, and while mowing. It did seem like the temp swing was a little more at idle. Also, what's the problem using undiluted antifreeze as long as your engine is not overheating? Thanks.

10-24-2000, 19:30 Post: 20838
MikeC

Filter by User

Bird, I forgot to mention that I installed an electric automotive type water temp guage. I put the sender in a existing threaded hole in what looks like the output side of the water pump housing. The sender for the over-temp idiot light is right next to the thermostat - on the engine side of the thermostat. Would the location of my sender affect the readings? Tom, I checked the temp both at idle, and while mowing. It did seem like the temp swing was a little more at idle. Also, what's the problem using undiluted antifreeze as long as your engine is not overheating? Thanks.

10-24-2000, 20:58 Post: 20842
Bird Senter

TP Contributor

Filter by User

Oops, somebody help me out here. I know you don't want to mix ethylene glycol anti-freeze stronger than 50%, but it's been a long day, I'm getting old and forgetful and can't remember why now. Of course, my tractor manual (as with car manuals I'm familiar with) says "When the anti-freeze is mixed with water, the anti-freeze mixing ratio must be less than 50%." and "The procedure for mixing of water and anti-freeze differs according to the make of the anti-freeze and the ambient temperature, basically it should be referred to SAE J1034 standard, more specifically also to SAE J814c."

10-25-2000, 06:55 Post: 20854
TomG

TP Contributor

Filter by User

I don't know the 'mixing question' answer either. I think I used to run undiluted anti-freeze in my cars years ago and nothing bad happened. However, all the sudden, there seem to be these warnings that the stuff has to be mixed. Box stores even sell it already mixed. Don't know, but maybe somebody will say.

10-25-2000, 07:31 Post: 20856
Rob Munach

As I recall from college chemistry class, the antifreeze will "freeze" at a lower temperature when mixed with water. I think there is some optimal ratio, but I can't remember it.

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Tractor Engine Repair Rebuild Forum

Thread 20632 Filter by Poster:
Art White 1 | Bird Senter 3 | mbjacobs 1 | MikeC 12 | Rob Munach 1 | Roger L. 6 | TomG 4 |

Most Viewed

+ Diesel engine spits oil from exhaust
+ HOW MANY TRACTOR HOURS IS TOO MANY HOURS?
+ Ford 1910 hydraulic problems
+ Need help with 4x6 Gator 3 Cyl Diesel Engine probl
+ yanmar 3 cyl desiel wont start
+ How to stop Mice Rodents eating Tractor Wiring
+ JD 870 not pulling its own weight
+ Yanmar 186D fuel problem
+ Honda small engines suck!
+ How to Start Honda small engines

Most Discussion

+ Ford 1910 hydraulic problems
+ Mice
+ Small Engine Start Problems