Go Bottom Go Bottom

Emergency Shut Down Valves

View my Photos
esdvalve
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2014-06-27          190548

Protect your investment! Make sure you have an emergency shut down valve on all your diesel engines! Our KIL-AIRE shutdown valve will protect your engine from a catastrophic event, if and when your diesel engine becomes a runaway engine! Contact me for more info!!

Link:   ESD VALVE LLC

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
charlieK

2014-06-28          190562

emergency shut down valve--school me ....

View my Photos
esdvalve

2014-06-28          190563

ESD-Valve LLC is the manufacturer of the KIL-AIRE stainless steel spring loaded butterfly valves for emergency shutdown of diesel engines. Our valves are available in 3, 4, 5, and 6 inch sizes. Our custom valves have a metal to metal seal, with no rubber "o" rings, which provide complete elimination of air intake. Our valves come standard with a 6 ft pull cord. The valves can be air actuated or electric activated in 12 or 24 volt.

Please check out our website! esdvalvellc.com

Basically you install the valve between the intake and air filter. When the engine becomes a "runaway" pull the cable and it trips the spring loaded butterfly to eliminate all air flow to the engine. ....

View my Photos
WillieH
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2014-06-29          190564

Man..........
Either I have been out of the loop for TOO long, or I have been darn lucky with all the diesels that I have had, and still have. Never heard of this issue
I have never had any of my diesels go into a "runaway" mode.
Does this pertain to LARGE equipment deisels like D8's D9's etc?
Willie H. ....

View my Photos
esdvalve

2014-06-29          190565

This shutoff pertains to anything run on diesel. Generators pumps and engines. Diesel engines can run on natural gas in the air outside of the engine. Can be a very big issue ... Prevented by an inexpensive part!

Jamie. Esdvalvellc.com

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2014-06-29          190566

A runaway diesel isn't an issue with a compact tractor, or most any other diesel in a mobile application.

Merely turning the key or pulling the 'stop' handle will release the fuel pressure and stop the engine instantly.

Unless that is somebody has removed the air filter and stuck a natural gas or propane line down the intake.

Just a little harmless SPAM is all.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
esdvalve

2014-06-29          190567

I appreciate your input but this is definitely not spam we sell directly to cummins, Detroit diesel, AM general, cat, engines inc, john Deere suppliers... Just to name a few ....

View my Photos
Murf

2014-06-29          190568

Quote:
Originally Posted by esdvalve | view 190567
I appreciate your input but this is definitely not spam we sell directly to cummins, Detroit diesel, AM general, cat, engines inc, john Deere supplier ...

From Wiki, "Electronic spamming is the use of electronic messaging systems to send unsolicited bulk messages (spam), especially advertising, indiscriminately. [sic] While the most widely recognized form of spam is e-mail spam, the term is applied to similar abuses in other media including: [sic] Internet forum spam."

This, as the name might suggest, is a TRACTOR users discussion forum.

You are advertising, not discussing, and something unrelated to compact utility tractors to boot. Ergo, you are posting SPAM.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
dtk1952

2014-06-29          190570

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf | view 190568
From Wiki, "Electronic spamming is the use of electronic messaging systems to send unsolicited bulk messages (spam), especially advertising, indiscriminately. [sic] While the most widely recognized form of spam is e-mail spam, the term is applied to similar abuses in other media including: [sic] Internet forum spam."This, as the name might suggest, is a TRACTOR users discussion forum. You are advertising, not discussing, and something unrelated to compact utility tractors to boot. Ergo, you are posting SPAM.Best of luck.
That's telling him Murf. I've had experience with diesel trucks, cars and tractors going back more than 50 years. In that time I have never had the problem he speaks of. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2014-06-30          190576

I worked for a large manufacturer of construction equipment for several years. Please know I have no idea how Detroit may have changed their 400 series engines since then but that was a concern on at least some of those engines. The best I remember they had two shuts offs, one to cut the fuel (it was electric control) and the other was to cut the air I think. We had one engine to run away when it first cranked and it cleared the building!! It was screaming when a young engineer placed a piece of something flat over the air intake saving the engine. In this case the breather system not being installed made cutting off the air possible.

Per an employee who had work on those engines in the field he said the throttle rack could get stuck open and that engine would rev faster and faster till it blew if air was not cut off to it.

Now telling this, in the about 6 years I worked in the building where we started those engines, that was the only case I ever heard of it there. In those about 6 years we probably started up about 5,000 diesels. Many were Detroit, good bit of Cummings and Cats. A few Deutz air cooled. The quietest and lowest torque of any.

Was there not a post here a little time back about the ability of a diesel to suck oil (if over filled) from the oil pan and run with fuel cut off?

When I first read the post I thought spam also. Not saying not a viable company nor product, just how the post struck me.

But along this line, what would happen is a fuel source were in the air with a diesel? If not mistaken my M6800 Kubota has an air cut off but my B2710 does not. How is such control on fire fighting equipment I think of being around fuel and that being at air ports. kt

View my Photos
MHarryE

2014-06-30          190577

Known issue on all diesels and can be scary when it happens. One recent post on a tractor forum - the runaway happened when the hydraulic pump seal leaked pumping a bit of hydraulic fluid into the crankcase. When it got to where the fluid was sloshed good by the crank, it fed back through the breather and the engine took off uncontrolled. As an OEM manufacturer, had this same thing happen many years ago. So frightening for the operator they reported getting out of the machine and running because of feared explosion, but fortunately the engines seized and we replaced under warranty and relocated the hydraulic pump off the engine. Working at my second and last manufacturer, I needed to come up with an emergency shutdown procedure when all else fails. I wanted to write in the OMM that the operator must take the cap the dealer gave him upon delivery and put it over the air intake. It didn't fly. Believe it or not we have both power to run and power to shut down systems so if you lose all power you can't shut down. Those engines have a mechanical plunger but who wants to hold a mechanical plunger on a running diesel? I like this idea. ....

View my Photos
esdvalve

2014-06-30          190580

We've been selling this particular valve for 25 years...

Wouldn't happen without a need.. thanks for your input!! I am pretty sure most folks aren't aware that a diesel engine can run off of fumes in the environment... ....

View my Photos
esdvalve

2014-06-30          190581

fyi... not a "him".. a her. ....

View my Photos
dtk1952

2014-06-30          190586

kthompson, yes there is always a possibility of this happening. I've heard of it but have never witnessed it. But this guy is advertising on a discussion panel so that makes it spam. as Murf stated. ....

View my Photos
esdvalve

2014-06-30          190587

Ok boys! Relax! I posted this In a repair rebuild forum as that is who typically purchases them. A gentleman reached out asking questions and I replied. That's it. Nothing more. Once again... If you must reference me, I prefer "her" . It seems like some people have nothing more to do than to find something to be negative about. For the two gentleman that commented earlier I appreciate your feedback. No harm intended. ....

View my Photos
dtk1952

2014-06-30          190589

I apologize about calling you a guy. That was a stupid assumption on my part. ....

View my Photos
esdvalve

2014-06-30          190590

Thanks! No harm no foul! Now stop bashing my valves!! Lol. :) ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2014-07-01          190593

dtk, you may want to fully read my post, the next to last paragraph.

I agree such info is better suited as advertising here.

View my Photos
yooperpete

2014-07-01          190595

So, are you saying that if my compact tractor were to go in a "run away" mode for whatever reason, I couldn't merely shift it in "high range" and stall it out!

"High range" is generally used for highway travel and most mowing applications or other real light duty jobs. Normally, I can stall it (27 HP) in mid-range by ramming the loader bucket into a pile of dirt when digging real deep. (i.e. usually use low range for scooping a full bucket full)

In my thinking it should stall in high range! ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2014-07-01          190601

yooperpete, good question. Is there a rpm speed at which you could not shift? ....

View my Photos
dtk1952

2014-07-01          190605

Quote:
Originally Posted by esdvalve | view 190590
Thanks!No harm no foul!Now stop bashing my valves!!Lol. :)
I'm not bashing your valve. I was just agreeing with Murf that your sales pitch is spam. You are not discussing the situation you are trying to sell something. There might be a need for the item, but, in over 50 years of being around diesels, I have never seen or heard a run away engine. ....

View my Photos
dtk1952

2014-07-01          190606

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthompson | view 190593
dtk, you may want to fully read my post, the next to last paragraph.I agree such info is better suited as advertising here.
kthompson, I misinterpreted what you were saying. It looked like you were backing off on calling it spam. Ever since I joined this panel I have enjoyed reading your comments. I wasn't trying to get in an argument with you. ....

View my Photos
yooperpete

2014-07-02          190612

I can usually shift ranges when the tractor is not in a "load hauling" situation. It may grind or clink a little by jamming it in but is possible. ....

View my Photos
treeman

2014-07-02          190615

I looked up runaway diesel videos on youtube and I could see where that would be a scary situation. I then found a thread about a tractor like my NH TC33d going into runaway mode by sucking in hydraulic oil in the air cleaner snorkel. One of those 90deg rubber cooler hoses started spraying and the intake sucked it in until it ran out of oil. See link below.

Link:   Runaway New Holland Tractor

View my Photos
esdvalve

2014-07-02          190616

Definitely doesn't happen every day, but it can happen! The valve kind of works like insurance. ;) ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2014-07-03          190619

dtk, no problem at all, never thought you were being rude or arguing. One thing I like is good conversation. Do like your initials, the d is my wife's first name and the t my last and the k my first.. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2014-07-03          190621

treeman, thanks for the link. So we know a diesel can run away using it's own fuel or another source from within the machine such as this one or another outside source I think we were told of like propane in the air. Think I am going to review ways to kill one.

I know the one I was around was a brand new start up in an OEM plant. Totally cold engine, using it's own fuel but throttle control locked fully open. But with an outside source of fuel is it more an issue with a hot engine? Or will diesels run fine on all those fuel sources at anytime? ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login