Go Bottom Go Bottom

Survey Did you buy your Tractor New or Used How is it going

View my Photos
DennisCTB
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2014-03-20          189665

Just wondering how many of us are buying new vs used and what the repair situation is like on both options.

I bought my Kubota B7610 new in 2004 and have only done routine maintenance since then. I got the 60 inch mid mower, front loader, front snow blower and rear grader blade, bucket hooks and ROPS lighting for $18k. So if it was worth zero it cost me $1800 a year or $150 per month. It is probably worth half what I paid for it so $75 per month. Not considerinmg the lost us of the $18k of course

So for that it cuts my lawn, moves landscape materials, hauls logs and debris, and clears snow.

Even though I can do mechanical work well I rather have as many trouble free years as I can. I sorta think it winds up being cheaper.

But I think many can do much better if they are lucky buying used and handy and good at trouble shooting issues.

What is you experience?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
chashm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2014-03-20          189670

I bought my Cub Cadet 7305 used with 600 hours on it in '03 with a backhoe and a loader. I've put 200 hours on it over ten years.
Since purchase, I've had 'usual' things to fix:
- hydro hose blew (replace hose...)
- leaking radiator or radiaor hose - extra hose clamp seems to have fixed it.
- engine mounting bolts loose/missing (replace & tighten)
- front tire leak - hole and rim seal - put in tube after trying other fixes.
- battery replaced (ok, maybe this is routine)
- a couple of control linkages rusted up. Pain to work on - have to take off ROPS, then fenders, wheel, etc. to get decent access to the offending joints.
- troubles starting/running - 'twas bad fuel
- battery connectors failed - will replace when it's warm
- zerk fitting/bearing on backhoe plugged - finally got it cleared with one of the bang-on-it-with-hammer grease injector tool.
- other zerks sheared off/missing - replace

Was it a good buy at $15k? Well, I wouldn't have spent $27k on a new one; I'd have purchased a smaller unit and then probably been dissatisfied that it wasn't big enough. My repair/maintenance bills haven't been very high and I haven't had to get the tractor to someone to repair or hire someone to come to the tractor, but I'm pretty handy given time and the repair manuals. ....

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2014-03-20          189671

First tractor leased for about 4 years and other than maintenance no repairs. That lease worked very well. FYI it was a Case.

Next bought new M6800 Kubota in 99. Had to replace a transmission gear. Second gear lost a tooth. Not sure what the cost was but not cheap. Other wise basically maintance other than issue with lights still not fixed and replaced seat.

Next bought B2710 Kubota used about 2003 with I think like 300 hours on it. Only routine maintenance and replaced seat on it. For me Kubota seats rot out quickly.

2008 bought used Volvo excavator and have replaced several hoses on it. Some more than once. Have issue with the electrical system not solved but have learned to work with it.

I have bought used implements with good success but rather buy new if has working parts.

Buying used has been decent for me and think depending on what you are buying a good option, even better than buying new. Now that is with doing careful inspections and doing the math. Was told when leased the first tractor be careful with equipment auctions and have found that great advice. Have only purchased one implement at auction having been to many but learned early on to determine the value to me and do not let the emotion of the bidding get into the price. I do expect to buy used for used price and not the price they paid for it new when they bought it. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login