Go Bottom Go Bottom

Yanmar 186D fuel problem

View my Photos
moscowengnr
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2010-07-07          172130

I recently got an old Yanmar 186D that has sat for a few years. I finally got it running a little. I then took apart the fuel suction and filter to fix leaks, etc. After that I have not been able to get the fuel pumped primed.
Loosening the injector tubes at the injector and cranking has not yet worked.
How are you supposed to prime these fuel pumps??
Thanks,
Dennis

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Yanmar 186D fuel problem

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-07-07          172132

Start with a full fuel filter. Then use the hand primer to top it up. If there's not a bleed screw on the filter housing, just loosen the filter slightly so it leaks. Pump until the bubbles quit and raw fuel runs out. Then tighten the filter. That's the end of the hand primer, cuz it's not strong enough to pump all the way to the injectors.

Then remove the hard lines at the pump, so that you can see if fuel comes out when you crank the engine. Assuming that works, reinstall the hard lines at the bottom. Crack them at the top. Crank the engine. Nothing will come out initially, then bubbles, then fuel. Soon as the bubbles stop and the fuel starts, tighten the fitting down. This should be done while the engine is still cranking - so a 2nd person helps with this task. Often you can get the engine to catch and run on just one cylinder. When that happens, release the keyswitch. Tighten the remaining fitting(s) as you see the bubbles turn to fuel. The engine should be running normally within 10-15 seconds after that

If not, you've got other problems.

//greg// ....

Yanmar 186D fuel problem

View my Photos
moscowengnr

2010-07-07          172136

Greg,

One problem is that I have ot found the hand primer pump on this. Where is it located?? I took off the entire filter assembly and did not see a primer pump - just some on off valve that rotated.

Thanks,
Dennis

Yanmar 186D fuel problem

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-07-07          172137

Not sure in the case of a 186D. But the hand primer it typically integrated into the pump assembly. The fuel path is
1. fuel tank
2. sediment bowl
3. flexible fuel line
4a. hand primer
4b. low pressure fuel pump (sometimes called lift pump)
5. flexible fuel line
6. filter
7. flexible fuel line
8. high pressure injection pump
9. individual hard lines
10 individual injectors

//greg// ....

Yanmar 186D fuel problem

View my Photos
kthompson

2010-07-07          172141

Greg, is it possible on this machine to pressurize the tank and bleed the fuel system? If so you don't want a lot of pressure.

I worked for large manufacturer and that is how they bleed the lines on all their machines. ....

Yanmar 186D fuel problem

View my Photos
moscowengnr

2010-07-07          172146

I had thought about slight fuel tank pressure. I might try it. I need to build some special 17 mm wrench to loosen the center fitting on the injector pump.
One injector is spraying a little mist - but it appears that it is compression coming back though the injector & it quits when I activate compression release - so I may have to deal with that after I can get the engine running.

Dennis ....

Yanmar 186D fuel problem

View my Photos
greg_g

2010-07-07          172153

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthompson | view 172141
Greg, is it possible on this machine to pressurize the tank and bleed the fuel system?
I wouldn't try it. The injection pump develops over a thousand PSI, which explains the steel lines (as opposed to rubber). There are very strong springs inside the injector bodies that rely on that pressure to trip (and therefore spray). Plus you have to overcome the resistance of the piston/crank/flywheel. You'd likely damage the tank - or worse - before being able to push fuel all the way to a cylinder

//greg// ....

Yanmar 186D fuel problem

View my Photos
Murf

2010-07-08          172154

Greg, I think Kenny meant to bleed the fuel system as far as, but not including the injectors.

I agree, this is a very common way to bleed the fuel systems of as much air as possible before trying to crank the engine over.

In fact on several trucks that we have there is a Schrader Valve (like a tire has) just before the injector pump. If you run the truck dry, all you have to do is turn the ignition on and hold the valve open until you get fuel, then start cranking. The engine always fires within seconds.

Best of luck. ....

Yanmar 186D fuel problem

View my Photos
greg_g

2010-07-08          172160

Yeah Murf, but this is a little 2 cylinder Yanmar. We're not even sure it's got a hand primer yet - much less a bleed valve. My Y240 had the primer, but no bleed valve. Had to loosen the fuel filter to bleed the low side. High side has to be bled through the hard lines by cranking as described above.

//greg// ....

Yanmar 186D fuel problem

View my Photos
auerbach

2010-07-08          172172

I'm not aware of any yannie with a manual pump. But then, I'm sure there are other things I'm not aware of. ....

Yanmar 186D fuel problem

View my Photos
kthompson

2010-07-09          172178

Murf you are correct. ....

Yanmar 186D fuel problem

View my Photos
greg_g

2010-07-09          172184

Ok, I get it now Murf. You were just referring to the low side. My bad. I fixated on getting fuel all the way to the injectors. Pressure applied at the tank "should" go through the lift pump and escape at the (loosened) filter.

I'd also remove the flexible lines and verify that none of them have collapsed internally. Could be that fuel can't GET through the low side at all.

//greg// ....

Yanmar 186D fuel problem

View my Photos
moscowengnr

2010-07-09          172203

Last night I made a special 17mm wrench to be able to fit the injector line nuts, and got the lines off at the injector. I tried the pressurized air thing with a hose and a rag on the fuel fill - not much happened, a little fuel out of the return line I had open.
Cranked for some time, and never got pump primed. I had the pump suction off earlier, and had fuel there, but I need to re-check that again. Left charger on last night, so I can try more cranking this weekend.
Dennis ....

Yanmar 186D fuel problem

View my Photos
auerbach

2010-07-10          172214

Moscow, because yours is an export model, all three factory manuals (Operators, Service, Parts) are available. I'd suggest the Service. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login