Go Bottom Go Bottom

Need help with 4x6 Gator 3 Cyl Diesel Engine problem

View my Photos
SgtKelly
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-04-05          141041

I'm with a Marine Corps Unit in Iraq. We have a John Deere Gator 4x6 Diesel here that nobody has seen work since we got here. Regardless, spent the last 20 hours working on it, and it will now start under it's own power. It will run for 20 seconds and then shut down like it's running out of fuel. Wait a few seconds and the cycle will repeat. The fuel filter and pump have been replaced with known good replacements from another one, and the problem still exists. Any help would be greatly appreciated. It goes without saying that out here, parts are not available, and diagnostic tools are limited to very basic things.

The Marines need your help!
Thanks alot for any assitance you can provide...

Edit:

I grabbed the following info off the engine:

Yanmar 3007D003

Engine Model: 3TN66G-EJUV

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-04-05          141068

If that has an electric fuel shut off that might be the problem. To spray WD-40 in the intake would keep it running longer if you are running out of fuel. ....

View my Photos
SgtKelly

2007-04-05          141076

It definately doesn't have an electric fuel shut-off. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-04-05          141077

I wonder if there's something in the fuel tank that is getting sucked up to the fuel pick-up and causing fuel starvation. When it shuts down the fuel pick-up clears up and the cycle can start all over again. ....

View my Photos
greg_g

2007-04-05          141078

Remove the fuel filter, fill the fuel filter with diesel, replace the fuel filter, start the engine. When it dies, remove the fuel filter. If it's empty, it's not getting supplied sufficiently by the pump.

Refill and reinstall the filter, this time use the hand primer pump to push fuel in the direction of the filter. If this keeps the engine running, check for any inline filter screens that might be partially blocked. These will usually be inside a fitting (may be one in the tank too). Check to make sure the fuel cutoff valve is full open). If all this is good, it's probably the fuel pump. Not the injection pump, just the fuel pump component.

Keep up the good work over there. Thanks, from those that actually care.

//greg// ....

View my Photos
SgtKelly

2007-04-06          141079

Thanks. And you're always welcome! And thanks to all of those who came before us....
The Marine Corps loves it's country, and we hope our country feels the same about us....

The fuel filter is clear, and when it starts, you can see the fuel filling up the filter rapidly. Fuel flow IN/OUT of the filter is good. I will check for a screen and/or pickup screen on the tank side of the fuel system, there is definately nothing between the fuel pump (which is new and working properly), and the injection pump which is what I suspect the problem to be. Problem is that there's no way in hell we could get a head gasket unless someone in the states sent it out to us via regular mail. I'll go poke around the fuel tank side for a few minutes right now. ....

View my Photos
SgtKelly

2007-04-06          141080

Also keep in mind the environment etc..

Repairs out here are a cross between McGyver and MADMAX and the thunderdome.

We make our own air filters out of coffee filters, duct tape for gaskets, etc....

Iraq is like a living junkyard wars episode. ....

View my Photos
SgtKelly

2007-04-06          141082

The pickup tube / screen is clear, no debris in the tank.
The vent hose is in good shape / no restrictions.

So, good pickup, good filter, good fuel pump = problem with injector pump? ....

View my Photos
greg_g

2007-04-06          141084

I've had two Yanmar diesels in the past, a 24hp duece and a 22hp three banger. I can't quite feature how it would even start with a bad injection pump. Or are you using starting fluid? That said, both mine had conventional spin-on fuel filters. Are you sure that clear thing you're talking about isn't the sediment bowl?

Starting - running for a while - then dying, does point to either fuel or air. But the fact that it starts in the first place should indicate the injection pump is usable. Have you tried to keep it running yet with the hand primer pump?

If anybody ever used gas dryer in that tank before, that stuff doesn't play nice with diesel fuel and rubber. When hoses deteriorate from the inside out, they can clog filters and injectors. But they can also form flaps inside, which can block fuel. Sometimes it takes some fuel FLOW before a flap of loose rubber drops in place to ultimately stop the flow. Are you in a position to scrounge the junkyard for replacement hose or tubing?

And air. If you haven't already, take air filtration out of the equation. Disconnect it at the manifold, and let the intake suck in unfiltered air to see if that helps keep it running.

//greg//

View my Photos
Art White

2007-04-10          141219

On most systems there is a fuel return line and if that is plugged that could cause this.. ....

View my Photos
bplatzer

2009-04-29          162390

SgtKelly

I have spoken with our local John Deere Rep and sent him this Link they are sure to reply I think the problem is the solanoide below the injector pump , remove it and and turn over to see if the piston goes in and out or if you hear a click , they go bad ,if this is not it, when you remove it inside the port is the point that the piston hits see if this moves freely if it does not it is stuck and the reason why it shuts off , I sure hope this helps and you get this in time !

Mike ....

View my Photos
gatoraider

2009-04-30          162398

Sgt Kelly, do all the things that Mike said and if that doesn't get it follow the electrical connection to the solenoid back to the first plug and check it for corroded connections. I have lots of diesel parts, I wish I could get them to you. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2009-04-30          162411

Guys, please check the dates before you reply.

I'm pretty sure they solved the problem in the last TWO YEARS ago when it first came up.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
gatoraider

2009-04-30          162413

Holy cow we gotta check dates too, there should be something that scrubs that stuff off after awhile. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2009-04-30          162414

It's often useful to keep old posts around since the information might be useful to someone.

Perhaps if it has been a long time since a thread was active it could be made read-only or a warning message could be displayed to tell new posters that they are posting to an old thread.

View my Photos
Murf

2009-04-30          162432

The problem with making the old stuff read only, as I see it, is when a problem re-appears the only way to post about it is to create a duplicate post.

I'm not sure Dennis needs to come up with some sort of date warning though, the date of the last post is clearly shown even before you open the thread already, plus it shows up again after you read through the thread itself.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2009-04-30          162433

Agreed, Murf, but posting to old threads does seem to bother some folks. I say post away and the more the merrier.

View my Photos
Murf

2009-05-01          162451

I have no issue with posting to old threads, per se, but it does get pretty funny (and old fast) when folks start answering 4 year old questions and a dispute erupts over the advice given.

I could see how an old thread could be very useful information.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
robert1013

2013-12-20          188497

I have just expierenced the same problems with my 4x6 gator. It would crank and run a few seconds and go dead. I replaced the fuel pump to no avail. I just went out and took the filter out and it runs perfectly. I blew out the filters with compressed air and thought that would do, but it didnt. The small secondary filter is the problem. I just drove it down the road and its like new. Got filters coming in the morning from napa. Good luck with yours and thanks for your service ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login