Go Bottom Go Bottom

How to Start Honda small engines

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-11-18          137076

Rant ON

So after the problems starting the Honda GX270 engine on my pressure washer I decided to give them another chance and bought a log splitter with a Honda GX240 engine. Now it won't start, not even a hit of ignition. I must have pulled that rope 200 times. And, yes, there is fresh gas in the tank and the ignition is switched to ON. Do these pieces of crap EVER start reliably? I'm about ready to drive them both to the dump and replace them with Briggs. I've never, ever had problems starting those.

Rant OFF

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
DennisCTB
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-11-18          137077

Have you checked the fuel shut off lever?

The Hondas have the reputation for being about the easiest starting engine in the world, I guess that is why you gave them a second chance.

Since they are so fast starting, it is very possible to flood them. I have a Honda powered log splitter (8HP GX240), same manual as yours. I also have a Honda Powered power washer.

The only time I have had a porblem is through my own error. I tried to start it with the ignition switch off, this of course led to flooding the engine. And many pulls, and fiddling with what throttle setting would give it enough air.

Since I have been paying attention better, I have had zero issues.

Too bad you seem to have the atypical case.

Dennis ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-11-18          137078

Yes, the fuel shutoff lever is turned on. I even got out the owners manual and followed it step-by-step. It just won't start. I thought it might have flooded so let it set for a couple of hours but no go. Perhaps the ignition module went out. I changed the oil, air cleaner and spark plug a month ago and it ran like a top afterwards but now it's dead. Anyone have any troubleshooting tips for Honda small engines that won't start? ....

View my Photos
Chief

2006-11-18          137081

Did you pull the spark plug to see if it is fouled? I spent about an hour this morning rasslin' with my Honda 250 Recon that would not start. I pulled the plugged and it was soot black and totally fouled. I sand blasted the plug, installed it and it started on the first lick. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-11-18          137083

The spark plug was brand new the last time I used it. But it's worth pulling and checking. Ha, another Honda that wouldn't start! I was thinking of getting an ATV and Kawasaki is looking mighty good right now. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2006-11-18          137084

The plug on the Recon 250 was near new but the ATV sat for a few months and it fouled when I tried to start it. Once the plug is fouled, it will not start. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2006-11-18          137085

Almost for got to mention the ATV comment. Unless you like belt drive with no gears, go with the Honda's. I prefer to have 5 gears to choose from. Just don't like the IVT belt drive that Kawasaki and Yamaha have. Suzuki makes a pretty nice ATV too. If you are looking for an all round utility ATV to get work done, the Polaris Ranger XP is tough to beat. ....

View my Photos
bloggins

2006-11-18          137090

Sorry, but we are talking about the most simplistic of engines...a one cylinder gasoline engine! Got spark...good, got fuel...good, got compression...good. Fresh gas, good... pull, swich/valves "on", presto...running engine...the Wright Bothers would be proud of you!!! Your BIO says "all things mechanical"! (Friendly Canadian losing at this point in frustration!). ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-11-19          137101

I don't enjoy having to fix a piece of equipment every time there's work to do. And with me and Honda engines that's the way it's been. I get them working and a month later they won't start. The ignition is dead (no spark). And just for you I'll edit my profile :) ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2006-11-19          137102

Ken,

I don't remember if you posted this as to how you got this splitter, I know you were looking at I think a used Swisher awhile back.

Is this a new machine or a used one that has the problem? ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-11-19          137103

Dennis, this is a Speeco splitter bought used about six months ago. It has been starting easily, until yesterday. I'll strip some parts of the pressure washer to get it going. Having interchangeable parts will help. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2006-11-19          137104

Ken, I can understand your frustration with the Honda engines. My experience with Briggs & Stratton engines has been terrible. Very difficult to start after setting for a long time.

If I was going to pass on a Honda engine, my next choice would be a Robin Subaru engine. Very well built, good quality engines. They start well for me as well. Have you looked into the theory of perhaps you are cursed? :-) ;-) ....

View my Photos
Peters

2006-11-19          137105

Ken, was it the pick up (induction) coil that was the problem with the spark. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-11-19          137106

I'm hoping the rain lets up soon so I can go out and work on it. We really need to build a shop.

Dennis, that Mr. Bean skit is pants-wettingly funny. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-11-19          137109

I swapped in the electronic ignition coil module from the pressure washer engine. Now there's spark but it still wouldn't start. The spark plug is still shiny and gapped correctly. I then drained all the gas and put in fresh. Still no start. I'd swap in the pressure washer carburetor but it's already screwed up since that engine won't start right either. I guess I'll buy a brand new carb and try that, then rebuild the old and put it in the pressure washer. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2006-11-19          137115

If I lived in your climate Ken, I would be adding HEET or whatever kind of gas dryer you have to every tank of gas. I bought that stuff by the case when I lived in Alaska.

One slug of water can shut down a car engine.... it would take forever to cycle it through those tiny carbs and gas lines on a 6 horse engine.

My Honda engines sit for months at a time and start on the third pull. But I don't get rain like you get. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-11-19          137118

I add Stabil to every gas can before it's filled but have never added a dryer. That's a good idea, maybe these engines are far more sensitive to moisture than other brands. I'm gonna remove and clean the tank and blow out the lines when replacing the carb. ....

View my Photos
Peters

2006-11-19          137120

Ken; As they tighten down on emissions you can only expect it to get worse. I am sure they will require more precise carb jets. :-( ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-11-19          137125

Eric, I was thinking about that while I was cleaning up. What sort of fuel systems are suitable for small engines that are a generation ahead of carburetion? There are some simple sorts of fuel injection, like Bosch CIS (IIRC), which don't require electronics or ultra high pressure and are fairly precise. CIS has a venturi shaped air inlet with a throttle plate centered in it. As air passes through the venturi the throttle plate floats up and down on one end of a teeter-totter. On the other end is a metering valve. The metering valve adjusts volume of a continuous pressure fuel flow that feeds injector nozzles that spray atomized fuel continuously into the intake manifold ahead of the intake valve. My VWs of the late seventies had that system and it was awesomely reliable and incredibly simple. I wonder if something like that could inexpensively be adapted to small engines? The problems would probably be in packaging (making it small enough), economy and introduction of a pressurized fuel system. And it would probably only work with a battery (and associated charger). ....

View my Photos
Art White

2006-11-19          137133

I'd be concerned that the small engine might only last from 2500 to 3500 hours and what the cost would be worth it or what would the break even be. For the most part just to remove the float bowl will show what's running thru the engine. ....

View my Photos
ronald65
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-11-19          137137

Hi, I have a Honda Engine on my splitter,it almost always starts on the first pull, even if I've let it set for a month. However Twice it wouldn't start and both times I had left the gas shutoff valve on and I ended up with gas in my crankcase. check your oil and if it's over full and thin.Drain it,refill it and use the fuel shutoff from now on as I do.Iv'e also started to use fuel shut off valve on my Honda 4 wheeler,as I've been told they can do the same thing. Ron ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-11-19          137141

Thanks, Ronald, I was not aware that that was a potential problem. That probably comes from a bad needle and seat. I'll check it out. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2006-11-20          137156

When checking your oil the dipstick would normally tell you of this problem as you should be over full on oil. ....

View my Photos
ronald65

2006-11-20          137159

Art, Did you know, that all small engins do not have dipsticks.On my Honda, you fill until oil reaches end of fill tube then its full. Ron ....

View my Photos
unit5alive

2006-12-01          137501

I have a suzuki 13hp on my generator , great engine, honda 6.5 on my pressure washer , great also ,but my kubotas is my favorite ! ....

View my Photos
ronald65

2006-12-02          137516

Ken, Let us know what is was when you get it running again will you? Ron:) ....

View my Photos
backwoodsal

2007-04-26          141565

I know this is an old post but I have a great way to clean spark plugs. Works super great if you are having issues starting a motor (assuming it's a spark issue). Get yourself an ingiter coil from an oil furnace. If you put the tip of the plug on one of the two terminals and a screw driver to the base of the plug to the other terminal. Be careful, never said this was safe, but plug the coil in and give it a few minutes. You can see the plug cleaning itself. The color of the spark will change. I've had plugs that were so fouled that at first the spark just traveled down the insulator, a few moments later the carbon was going up in smoke as the insulator heated up, good as new. If you install it back in the engine while it's hot it's much less likely to foul.

Of course this is can be dagerious, do not go near the plug while the coil is plugged in. Wear safety glasses as the plug will get hot and burn the oil/ carbon off. Keep anything flamable far away. Be careful handling the plug afterwards, it is very hot.

The only reason I'm telling this "old timers" secret is because I once got some bad gas (I think the place I bought it from dumped old oil or something in the storage tank). Everytime I went to start the engine the plug would foul. After 3 trips to the store getting new plugs then trying the sandblasting trick my neighbor taught it to me, worked the first time. The engine started right up and for the first few minutes ran with a skip until the old gas was worked out of the carb then ran great.

The small engines with one cylinder are much more susceptible to fouling. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login