Go Bottom Go Bottom

Backhoe Bucket sizes

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-03-06          79019

I'm ordering a JD 47 backhoe and there are a wide array of bucket sizes. The standard bucket is a 9" but that seems kind of small to me. I was thinking of moving up to the 13" bucket but thought I'd check in here first.

What is a good general purpose bucket size for digging out douglas fir stumps, trenching, and digging footings for buildings in clay soil which is hard as a rock when dry?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Backhoe Bucket sizes

View my Photos
mike/mi
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-03-06          79022

then 9 inch is good for digging stumps butt keep in mind if you need to get your body into a trench you will need at least 12 inch. ....

Backhoe Bucket sizes

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-03-06          79024

Thanks for the response. To get MY body into a trench would take more than a 12" bucket LOL Actually, I don't see a need to get myself into a trench. This would be for electrical conduit and water pipes that could be assembled above ground and dropped in (I think). I could see where the 9" bucket might concentrate the force more when ripping out roots. ....

Backhoe Bucket sizes

View my Photos
rmosley

2004-03-06          79058

I have been using the 16" bucket that came on my JD970 with a Woods 7500 hoe. It takes to big of a bite when digging stumps. I would recommend the 12" bucket, it seems like it would be the right size for the most efficient work with tree stumps. The 16" is nice for moving the most dirt in the shortest amount of time.

Congratulations on your decision to get a hoe! ....

Backhoe Bucket sizes

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-03-06          79075

KEN, I can shoot you pics of both.... the 9 inch bucket only has two "teeth".

So far, the 13 inch is slightly better for ripping into hardpan. ....

Backhoe Bucket sizes

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-03-06          79077

Mark, thanks for the offer but I found pics of them online at a pdf file I downloaded from Stonehams. Do you own both buckets? I'm leaning toward the 13" since the 9" looks very small to me. ....

Backhoe Bucket sizes

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-03-06          79088

Yup. I have both. Thought the 9 inch might be a bit more effective with the hard-pan and the roots, the jury is still out on that one. ....

Backhoe Bucket sizes

View my Photos
TomG

2004-03-07          79098

If you have sandy soil and trench to fair depths the difficulty is that material tends to fall off the walls. With a narrow bucket you can end up having to clean out trench bottoms so that lines etc. are deep enough or have the right slope to meet code.

I also have to climb into my trenches sometimes to do things like making conduit connections or hand digging through 'earth bridges' to connect trench sections. I find my 12" bucket digs trenches that are barely wide enough to climb into (got to keep in mind here that there are all sorts of safety issues when working in trenches).

The advantages of a narrow bucket are that they dig in hard ground when a hoe may not have power for a larger bucket. They also leave less spoilage if operation doesn't require a wider trench. However, the boom and swing speeds are the same as with bigger buckets so a smaller one takes longer to dig the same hole.

Backhoe Bucket sizes

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-03-07          79111

Thanks for the good information guys. After more consideration I guess I'll just go with the 9" for now and get a bigger one later if needed. A big part of my work is to dig out small 2-7" fir stumps, and the smaller bucket will do less damage to roots of surrounding trees. ....

Backhoe Bucket sizes

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-03-07          79116

A couple of thoughts:

My 46 BH came with a 13 inch bucket and my BX had a 12 incher. I think these sizes are just about right for general purpose digging. Both have 3 teeth and Kubota's smaller bucket, a 10 inch also has three teeth.

My second "green" bucket didn't come from Deere, but from it's maker, Ameriquip. It has two teeth and so far I think it is a bit less efficient at penetrating hard ground. And as noted the trench it produces is barely wide enough to get a shovel into.

Ken: I would recommend you get the 13 inch bucket. If you decide you are not happy with that size I will send you my 9 inch bucket for $300 postage paid.

Backhoe Bucket sizes

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-03-07          79118

Mark, I appreciate you sharing your experience and since I have none I'll follow your suggestion and go with a 13" bucket. A two-tooth bucket does seem a little odd. Do you know if Ameriquip makes the JD OEM 9" bucket? ....

Backhoe Bucket sizes

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-03-07          79120

I am pretty sure they do since they make to whole unit. Did you download a pic of a Deere 9 inch bucket? ....

Backhoe Bucket sizes

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-03-07          79123

It's hard to say. The PDF I downloaded has pictures of four buckets and the smallest has three teeth, but it doesn't indicate which size buckets they are. Since six sizes are available I'm not sure which four sizes are pictured. ....

Backhoe Bucket sizes

View my Photos
jbs

2004-03-07          79174

I would get both. Mine came with a nine and I bought a 13 as well. The nine is definatly better for stump action and digs about the width of a shovel. The 13 is better if you want a trench you can walk in or are wanting to dig a big hole.

jbs ....

Backhoe Bucket sizes

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-03-07          79179

Thanks, jbs, it's sounding like I may end up with both. ....

Backhoe Bucket sizes

View my Photos
bnrhuffman

2004-03-08          79222

Ive been shopping for a backhoe and had the same question about bucket size. I asked a guy I work with. His father operates a green machine doing small jobs for contractors. He told me his father started with a 9" and soon went to a 13" because the 9" wont not clean out when he dumped. It wasnt wide enough and if the soil was even slight moist, it would stick in the bucket and he would have to shake the crap out of it. That doesnt happen with the 13". This, of course, is second and third hand info but it makes sense to me. Just something else to think about. ....

Backhoe Bucket sizes

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-03-08          79226

Deere has vent holes on the backside of the buckets now to prevent just such an occurrences. ....

Backhoe Bucket sizes

View my Photos
jeff r

2004-03-11          79550

I have 12 inch and 18 inch buckets. I have never used the the 18 inch bucket because I am too lazy to take it off.I recommend the 3 tooth bucket 12 or 13 inch for all round use. ....

Backhoe Bucket sizes

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-03-11          79554

I was told by my dealer that most people around here buy the 16" buckets. He stocked both but I went with the 13". Should be installed in the next day or so - yahoo! ....

Backhoe Bucket sizes

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2004-03-11          79557

I think the 13 inch is a good choice. Nice all-around size. ....

Backhoe Bucket sizes

View my Photos
Abbeywoods

2004-03-12          79673

I was surprised when I bought my 48 backhoe from Deere that they didn't offer a bucket smaller than 12 inches. They undoubtedly have some logic for this, but I find the 9" an excellent width for installing Belgium blocks for curbing and edging, and also for laying underground cable. I just ordered the 12" and am curious as to how well it will work for this task. My other buckets of choice are the 18 inch for general digging (works well for stumps) and the 24 inch for rapid digging in uncontested soil and for footings. I don't believe there is one bucket that does all, unless you'll only be doing one thing. ....

Backhoe Bucket sizes

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-03-13          79747

The 46 and 47 backhoes can interchange buckets, but I am pretty sure the 48 hoe is up in another class and runs a completely separate series of buckets. ....

Backhoe Bucket sizes

View my Photos
Abbeywoods

2004-03-13          79772

"D" you are correct. My dealer, a very patient and cooperative family owned business, took the time to physically compare the 46/47 and 48 hoe buckets. They are very different. The only way they could give me a 9" for the 47 was to take a larger bucket, plasma cut off the sides, trim, and re-weld. It just isn't worth it. ....

Backhoe Bucket sizes

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-03-21          80567

Out of curiousity I wanted to see the list price for a 9" JD bucket. JDParts is indicating the 9" bucket is obsolete. Since that was supposed to be the standard bucket size on a 47 backhoe I wonder what the new standard size will be. ....

Backhoe Bucket sizes

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-03-21          80578

I would guess 13" will be the standard. When I ordered my 46 last summer I asked for the standard bucket and was a little surprised when I got a 13".

BTW... I got my 9" bucket from Ameriquip, not from Deere. ....

Backhoe Bucket sizes

View my Photos
hu

2004-09-19          96842

I want to know the machine ablity .can you help me? ....

Backhoe Bucket sizes

View my Photos
Archdean

2004-09-19          96847

I opted for a 12" on my new Kubota B7510 and it is the perfect size for the hoe and Tractor, have had a 16" on bigger stuff but certainly wouldn't work well on a small CUT, and a 9" is just too tiny to screw with ( can't stand in the ditch) and when the dirt sloughs off what have you got?
Dean ....

Backhoe Bucket sizes

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-09-20          96875

hu: Which machine are you wondering about?

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login