Go Bottom Go Bottom

Kit Built Backhoe Review Advice

View my Photos
tamanaco
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-02-20          77431

Has anyone ever built a model 600B from CDP laser cut kit back hoe? They are in Canada?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
mcsd126

2004-02-22          77642

What is their website address?

-Mike ....

View my Photos
tamanaco

2004-02-26          78032

Hello Mike,

Here is the url http://cdp-backhoe.com/

Br,

Bill ....

View my Photos
Joe Lall

2004-03-15          79947

These kits look identical to CADPLANS in the USA. I bought their drawings for a 3-pt hitch mount backhoe. Never did build the unit. I found the lack of hydraulic stabilizer to get the weight of the tractor working for you a problem. Also, they are unable to rotate 180 degrees with is important. Just my thoughts thou.

Joe ....

View my Photos
loganWildman

2004-03-15          79958

I bought the cadplans mdl 821 plans and modified the design of the boom pivot and swing cylinder mounts to give me a full 180 deg. swing. I also modified the 3 point mount design to allow for hydraulic stabilizers located on the sides like normal backhoes. I did all the design work in Autocad Inventor which is a 3D solids modeling package that lets me test fit everything and even make the parts move through their motions. It sure beats buying and cutting steel only to find out what you thought would work, doesn't.

I have not started on the project though because I am watching ebay to see if I can pick up a used hoe for less than I can build it.

One cool thing about cadplans is that they also offer a extend-a-hoe option for some of their kits, which I think is pretty cool. ....

View my Photos
loghouse95

2004-03-15          79965

I built a backhoe using cadplans (model 821) Made a few modifications, nothing major and I am really pleased with with its performance and digging capabilities..I use it mostly for digging stumps and waterlines ....

View my Photos
loganWildman

2004-03-16          80022

Hey Loghouse95, can you post any pictures? Did you buy the steel/hydraulics kit from them or did you get it all yourself? Also, did you experience any problems during the project? ....

View my Photos
loghouse95

2004-03-16          80030

I will try and figure out how to post some pictures... I did run into a couple of problems, nothing major,I purchased everything but the engine took about 70 hours to complete.. Like I said , I have really enjoyed working the backhoe and have had no problems other then one of my welds broke but that was my fault.. Iam really amazed at the size of stumps I have been able to dig out with relative ease ....

View my Photos
BillMullens
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-03-16          80032

I built a CadPlans Mod. 708 a couple of years ago, from the MetKit metal kit.
Mostly for my own reference, I documented the project in the web page linked below.
It has been a really handy machine. At first I thought that it would basically replace manual labor, but it turns out it will do things that just wouldn't be possible without it. I have dug out some impressive rocks. A big cottonwood stump did defeat me, though :-(
I designed some hydraulic stabilizers on AutoCAD using off the shelf hydraulic cylinders and valves. Never have had any motivation to build them, though. The hoe works pretty well as is. I made a link from a spare top link (it is shown in some of the last pictures on the web page) that allows me to tie the hoe down if I want to; then I have to unhook it to raise the 3ph.
Good luck
Bill ....

Link:   CadPlans hoe project

View my Photos
loghouse95

2004-03-17          80188

My neighbor just completed a backhoe its a little larger then cad-plans model 821, really did a excellent job on it..I think he is going to sell it,if anyone is interested I can find out for sure ....

View my Photos
Jeremy

2004-04-10          82650

Hi,

I built a cad plans backhoe stand alone, not tractor mounted, but with quite a few mods, as my ground gets rock hard in the summer, and I think that the cad plan just is not tough enough. The other problem that I found with it was that it would lift off the ground and run back rather than dig, so I built an anchor under it to stop this happening, which works very well.
If you are a bit of a handyman, it is not very difficult to build, and bending 5 mm steel sheet for the bucket is no problem with a blow torch to heat it up a but, not even red hot.

Stand alone is much better, as you then have the tractor for loading the spoil, and my Kubota B1600 back bucket will hold about a 1/3 of the cubic mtr, about 7 buckets full. I am really pleased with the backhoe, it cost me about $700 and a lot of hard work, all second hand materials, and an old car engine to power it. Weight is not a problem with these machines.

Now I want to build a front loader for the tractor and advice. Would be gratefully received.

best wishes

Jeremy from Spain

View my Photos
jeff_jeff

2004-04-10          82652

I recently completed building the CDP mid-600 3pt backhoe. I also reviewed plans for the cad-digger, and built the cad-digger 5" bucket (modified for use with the CDP unit)
- Here are my impressions/reccommendations,FWIW

I went with CDP because the initial cost was cheaper, and I was annoyed that Cad-Plans wanted to charge for the plans even if you buy the parts kit. CDP also had better specs

Cad plans are a little more detailed, but CDP was adequate for my needs - The CDP plans I got with the parts kit are not enough to build from scratch - there are no instructions for making the parts. The CDP parts themselves were great, precision cut, excellent. Shipping and service were fine.

CDP's backhoe is harder to build. Look at the buckets - CDP is rounded and requires bending metal - a real pain. Cad digger is squarer (uglier) but easier to put together/weld.

One big drawback for CDP is they use non-standard cylinders - I had to buy them from CDP.

Not having hydraulic stabilizers is not a problem for me - I raise and lower the whole unit with the 3pt, so the stabilizers dig in fine. For the small projects I do, it works great.

Total cost for me was $2500, including the second bucket.

My reccommendation - if you are building from scratch, go with cad-plans - if you are getting a parts kit, CDP is a good option.

Jeff

View my Photos
dfkrug
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-04-29          84666

As mentioned in another thread, I built the CADDigger 728 about 6 y ago. That was before I had a tractor. My costs, not incl labor, was about $2600. I see web sites of similar machines today costing $3500 plus labor. What I do not understand is why build a homebuilt if you have a tractor and you can buy much better new fatory-built hoes for a bit over $4000, such as the Prairie Dog? ....

View my Photos
loganWildman

2004-04-29          84705

I haven't priced the smaller hoes, but I was quoted a new Woods or Kelly 9ft hoe for $9000 including the pump and two buckets. I have been watching ebay for some time now trying to find a used 9 ft hoe, and they have been going for 3-4k.

A complete kit from metkit is a little over 2K, 3k if you want the hydraulic stabilizers. And the satisfaction of building it yourself. ....

View my Photos
dfkrug

2004-04-29          84726

Yes, there is satisfaction to building (and modifying) the homebuilt, but the financials don't compute, esp when very good factory machines have come down so much is price. I don't mean Woods/Mazzotti/Amerequip here. Used (not abused) is a good choice if you can find them. ....

View my Photos
t16nhc

2004-05-17          86196

TO LOGGOUSE95

I MIGHT BE INTERESTED IN PURCHASING THAT CAD BACKHOE.
WILL FIT A 484 CASE? ....

View my Photos
loghouse95

2004-05-17          86266

Its a stand alone model ....

View my Photos
Allan

2004-06-04          87692

here is a kool site if you are wanting to buy a good
strong backhoe for less than you will pay anywhere else. ....

Link:   backhoes for less

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-06-04          87707

If a guy like Allan is too lazy to register and can't be bothered to observe simple rules of etiquette by posting spam, I'm sure he would be an unpleasant guy to deal with. Why would anyone buy from him? ....

View my Photos
snowpa

2004-06-11          88293

well no one wants to here your insults and I get alot of
good e-mail about my machines before and after they buy my backhoes . and I didn't mean to spam, I was just trying to get into some discussions about backhoes.
so except my apoligy.

Allan ....

View my Photos
skyhigh

2004-07-27          92076

Loghouse,
Did your neighbor ever sell the backhoe he built? ....

View my Photos
rambin

2013-09-12          187978

loghouse are you still around the forums? i'd like to pick your brain on the cad digger improvements you mentioned? I realize its an old post so im not sure if you still come on here! ....

View my Photos
littlesfitness

2015-05-09          192749

loganWildman are still around. I was wondering if you would share your 180° design for the Cadplns 821 digger,

Thanks,
Doug ....

View my Photos
littlesfitness

2015-05-09          192750

loghouse95 if your still around could you respond as I have some questions about the 821 Super Boom that you built with the Cadplans 821. Metkit is no longer in business and I have a coulpe of questions about the super boom.

Thanks,
Doug ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2015-05-11          192758

That was a while ago but who knows :) ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login