Go Bottom Go Bottom

kelly backhoe

View my Photos
southernboy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-11-15          148300

I have a JD 4750 hydro tractor and my dealer has been watching for a used backhoe for me. What he has found is a kelly B600 3 point hitch backhoe. I have read a lot of posts and know that a frame hitch is preferred but I am not sure I will use it enough to justify the extra expense and detact hassle. I need it to dig some trenches,some footings and pull some trees (6-8 inch). And like a lot of my tracor work play with it. Anyone know this backhoe and its capabilities? He wants 2500 for it.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

kelly backhoe

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-11-16          148331

I looked at their web site and it says the model is a "Compact Economy". The word "economy" sums it up. IMHO it won't last under the strenuous duty of digging stumps. The outriggers are thin and flimsy looking, as it the whole hoe. Again that's why it's called an "economy".

Take the $2500 plus tax, plus mounting frame, plus labor, and apply that toward renting a mini-excavator. You can get them for as little as $150 a day and are muuuuuch more fun to operate than any backhoe. ....

kelly backhoe

View my Photos
yooperpete
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-11-16          148332

I have a Kelly mounted to my MF135. Don't know the model number without looking. It is 3 point mounted and not all that rigid compared to a real hoe. It will however outdo anything that they put on the small compacts.

Mine is atleast 25 years old and still works good. It is strong enough to push my MF around (have loaded tires for extra weight). Wish it had more reach. It is very handy for small jobs. If you have lots of small jobs to do over time it may be a good deal. If you only have one or two larger jobs, I agree that renting may be a better option. ....

kelly backhoe

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-11-16          148353

Yooper I agree with assessment of the older models modelled after real hoes of yore (like that--"yore"? haha)

If you go to the Kelley site they have the real hoes you probably have. The pictures look like are from the 70's or 80's.

You guys have any snow sticking yet? We got flurries last weekend near Detroit. ....

kelly backhoe

View my Photos
kthompson

2007-11-16          148357

southernboy,

Welcome. Don't worry about the snow. There are some good folks here from up the road. Some good ones down the road also.

No EW, no snow sticking here. It suppose to be cold tonight. Probabl will frost.Third time this fall. What happened to global warming? kt ....

kelly backhoe

View my Photos
cutter

2007-11-16          148361

I just took a look at them. IMHO I would rent a mini over owning that unit. I am not making any judgment as to quality but simply stating that I do not like the two seat arrangements and the climbing over the thing.

I did not put a hoe on my 2910 for that very reason. That and I wanted a bit more hoe :) ....

kelly backhoe

View my Photos
jtgaston

2007-12-04          148967

I totally agree with earthwrks. I have a JD 755 and when I bought it the previous owner had planned on eventually buying a backhoe for it...he had even gone so far as to buy the owners manual for one and the subframe (anyone need a subframe?) Anyway, a couple of years ago, I rented an 855 with a backhoe to try it out. There is no comparison as to this unit vs a small tracked backhoe. The reach, mobility, and hydraulics are far superior on the mini excavator. Save your $2,500 + and have some real fun renting a real backhoe. ....

kelly backhoe

View my Photos
1hillbilly

2008-01-22          150586

Most people I asked that had 3 point hoe attachments advised me against them, and recomended at least a subframe unit. I looked a long time, did test runs, and kept notes. I finally bought a used Terramite that was in really good condition. It is awesome, however it is built as a loader backhoe only, I can't cut grass with it. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login