Go Bottom Go Bottom

Volvo control panel

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-08-20          165134

OK, have an electical control panel with the guages in it that is not lighting up properly. Odd part is same issue on my excavator and a friend of mine but his more serious right now.
When you switch the machine on it does not light up as should. Can switch it off and back on it may light up properly or may not. On my machine it will start and run just can not operate hyd circuits that are safety protected which is all but blade. On his machine he says the electric fuel pump will not operate so it will not remain runnning but stater will turn engine over. First year he has had his machine also bought used so little history on it but mine only recently has done this. It has rained a lot here this summer and back to high humidity. This panel is in a large plastic box and we think humidity has built up on those boxes and could be small leak for rain to leak in there causing the issue.

Any suggestions?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Volvo control panel

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-08-20          165142

Kenny in your particular case it's probably a loose nut behind in the operator seat LOL

Seriously though...humdidity, like coldididty doesn't have the same effect on inanimate things as it does on animate. If anything can ruin a circuit it's salt water air.

A vent being clogged--maybe. But unlikely.

I have to think it's something simple like broken wire, bad or corroded fuse, or a bad or corroeded relay. ....

Volvo control panel

View my Photos
kthompson

2009-08-20          165144

Jeff, you may be right about that nut, but my son in law seems ok and he is the main one running it this summer. Wait he does work for the guber-mint but not the feds rather the locals.

As to humidity, which of course is water which of course does not conduct electricty but when such as dirt is added to the water it does a great job of conducting electricty and so does adding salt to it. ....

Volvo control panel

View my Photos
kthompson

2009-09-04          165437

Jeff you ask elsewhere and to not just run really away from that thread came back here.

Last Saturday I pulled the control panel out of my machine. Had planned to removed the case it was in and look at it and spray what I thought should be with contrat cleaner and then seal with the dielectric grease so began with run to parts store for those items. That is costly grease!

Got it out but there is no opening the case unless you destroy it. Seems they filled it with silcone and set the unti in the case and on top of that the case is very thin plastic. Sprayed cleaning the little openings I had made and the four screw holes I thought held the case together. Reinstall and same deal. But I had about $30 in supplies, three hours in removing and reinstalling and many scratches on my arm working jamed up against the plastic arm cover the control unit is in.

As long as the control panel will come up in a few minutes it is my plans to run it. Have asked every where I can on this unit including one person who did work at Volvo dealership with no real success. Well one person told me when he worked for dealership they would try a new one to see if that is the problem. At $1,800 price I was given not too exicted to buy one to "try" and nearest Volvo dealership is only about 100 miles away.

BTW, local dealerships are nice. WIth the economy the way it is there are less local heavy equipment dealerships. ....

Volvo control panel

View my Photos
earthwrks

2009-09-04          165453

Just li9ke cars, I have seen the printed circuit boards in these go bad.

Even my commerical-size laser printer had a bad circuit on the main board. It would have cost upwards of $400 for anew board. Luckily I ran into a guy that did just this type of work. For $20 he found the problem and soldered the crack together. ....

Volvo control panel

View my Photos
earthwrks

2009-09-06          165507

Kenny try this other site for your Volvo issues. They have a spot for excavators not just skid steers. ....

Link:   Skidsteer Forum .com

Volvo control panel

View my Photos
kthompson

2009-09-07          165523

Jeff, I tried Heavy Equipment Forum and another site. Heavy Equipment Forum got nothing. The other site I did get some suggestions.

We have run it both this past Saturday and today. On both days it came up fine with first switch on. Maybe the little bit of cleaner I got in there did some good.

Thanks for the suggestion, will try it.

Jeff, I sure did think about you Saturday and today and owe you one. I was leveling dirt both days as it was being dumped and today one of my son in laws relative was helping who works for a Site Work Contractor. He told me, you are doing a good job gettting the dirt level. Well, I was going in circles, well not really circles! Chuckled to think about how I learned how to do that. It does work well. So thanks old Buddy or is that ole Buddy?

Along that line, it is often I find myself working with something and think about what I have learned from all here. Have had some help at other sites off and on but over all no body has beat TP for me.

Thanks TP friends. ....

Link:   

Click Here

Volvo control panel

View my Photos
earthwrks

2009-09-07          165524

As far as circles go to level ground--which he LOVES to give me crap about, what Kenny means is OVERLAPPING circles. Kenny if you think about it some of the best fisishes are done i9n circles such as floor polishing, car polishing, precision grinding, and even concerte finishing, etc.

And that would not be Ol' or ole EW.
As I tell my friends I prefer Doctor. hahaha

(That) Reminds me of a friend who introduced me to her friend who had a mouth that would make a sailor blush. She was done with her ranting and my friend introduced us. I put my hand out and introduced myself as PASTOR Jeff (I'm not). She turned three shades of red!! LOL ....

Volvo control panel

View my Photos
kthompson

2009-09-08          165531

Got it, "Dr. Circles".

Volvo control panel

View my Photos
Murf

2009-09-08          165533

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthwrks | view 165524
As I tell my friends I prefer Doctor. hahaha(That) Reminds me of a friend who introduced me to her friend who had a mouth that would make a sailor blush. She was done with her ranting and my friend introduced us. I put my hand out and introduced myself as PASTOR Jeff (I'm not). She turned three shades of red!! LOL

That's funny!!

A lot of my friends jokingly refer to me as 'Father Murphy' (which is a double funny because I'm a Protestant). Apparently most people I take for a ride in the plane finds God right afterward. Come to think of it they do mention his name and that of his son too a lot during the flight. Strange that. ;)

Best of luck.

Volvo control panel

View my Photos
kthompson

2009-09-08          165538

OK Murf, now he will not be able to find a hard hat to fit.

I hated to be the one to say it was funny. Wonder how long he had to think on that. Regardless it does impress me also.

Hey PJ, thought you needed to read about this Pastor Jeff. He Pastors a rather (for here anyway) Methodist Church in Myrtle Beach. His father was solictor here for a few years. He is thought well of. ....

Picture Link
Shop Tools Volvo control panel

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login