Go Bottom Go Bottom

top qualitysnowblowers

View my Photos
OldWoodsGuy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-08-28          94788

Hello,
I have a JD 770 25 hp tractor with rear pto. I would like to buy a rear mount snowblower of good quality but I'm not sure about which are the best constructed. I have a 1500' gravel driveway on a slight grade in North East Pa. and will have some snow to play with. I was thinking about a Woods SS60, does this sound good or what other type should I check on. Any advise would be helpful.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

top qualitysnowblowers

View my Photos
bluetay

2004-08-28          94838

OldWoods: There is a thread on this site that had info on snowblowers and some outfit that would mount them on the front. 1500 feet of drive I feel certain would require front mounting. I have a Kubota 60" blower from a previous tractor that I'm going to use on my Kioti this year because I used the FEL last year and the blower is better for me. I live in northwest Pa. and remove snow in three parking lots and two driveways so I'd highly recommend a blower mounted on the front from that experience. Best of luck finding a blower. ....

top qualitysnowblowers

View my Photos
oneace
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-08-28          94843

The woods unit is a good unit make sure you get the power spout rotation you can normally not reach the hand crank for the manual rotation from the seat. ....

top qualitysnowblowers

View my Photos
OldWoodsGuy

2004-08-29          94864

I think that a mid-pto would be required for a front end blower with enough power to work properly. To have my tractor retro-fitted with mid-pto would cost several thousand bucks extra. I was also told that a front mount hyro power blower would not have the required power even if an extra server were added. I sure would like to have it on the front end but that may bring to total cost up to about 5 or 6 grand. I think I'm stuck with rear mounting. ....

top qualitysnowblowers

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-08-29          94868

The mid-pto option for a current 790 lists for $398. I wonder why the 770 is so much more? ....

top qualitysnowblowers

View my Photos
grinder

2004-08-29          94888

I bought a provonost puma, has been a good blower with grease fittings where they should be.
The Woods looked real good as well and had a replaceable
cutting edge which I wanted but, was about $700.00 more.
I paid 1400.00 for a 54" puma.
My drive is 200'x13' with a 50x50 parking area.Paved.
20-30 min. to complete. Rear blower with the bucket makes a good combo for me. ....

top qualitysnowblowers

View my Photos
rparch

2004-08-29          94895

Oldwoods guy,
I have been using a rear mount blower on my 2300' gravel driveway in west central Wisconsin for 8 years and am switching to front mount to save my next anymore wear and tear. I'd think hard about a front mount :-).

rich ....

top qualitysnowblowers

View my Photos
harvey

2004-08-30          94929

I do my drive over 1/4 mile and parking areas with a rear mount. I do a neighbors when he's out of town and that is almost a mile. The widows is almost as long as mine up the side of a hill.

All the above are done with a rear mount. Turning and looking helps keep the body streched and limber. At least that is what I keep telling myself. I do have a neck injury and this does not seem to bother especially if I remember to stretch my neck and upper body stuff B4 I go out and stretch out the kinks when I come back in.

YEA I'd like a front mount with heated cab Blab, Blab, Blab. But the rear mount preformance of my Pronovost would be hard to equal unless I threw a ton of money at it...

You could probably get a new JD 59" 2stage front mount with all the stuff you need for less than $4500. ....

top qualitysnowblowers

View my Photos
grinder

2004-08-30          94932

I'm with you harvey,it makes you feel alive to get out there
in the wind right?
When the day comes I can't turn a little to look over my shoulder to clean out my driveway I think it will be over.
You might as well go in the house and put your depends on and lay on the couch.
Unless you 've got the dough for the cab and front mount that is.

top qualitysnowblowers

View my Photos
TomG

2004-08-30          94947

Well, the one thing I've got to say is that a front blower might be faster for clearing moderate snows from long fairly straight drives. At least I know that my 3ph blower is willing to clear moderate snows faster than I'm willing to drive in reverse. But then, I'd loose a bunch of time clearing highway entrances and short wide areas. I get a lot of mileage by plowing short runs forward with the loader and backwards with the blower--all without turning around or driving back to the start without doing any clearing. I don't want to give up my loader especially since I'm very averse to playing on the highway or near it in order to clear enough of the shoulders.

I'll stick with my 3ph--easy for me to say I guess since I don't have a mid-pto but I do have a neck issue too and it's no problem. A physio once diagnosed my tennis elbows as resulting from my head not being on straight--some would suspect such even without a medical diagnosis. ....

top qualitysnowblowers

View my Photos
rparch

2004-08-30          94964

Hey Grinder,

No need to get nasty with the comments about using a front mount snowblower. I thought this was supposed to be a nice friendly place to talk about toys.

rparch ....

top qualitysnowblowers

View my Photos
oneace

2004-08-30          95002

I have know idea what you are talking about. Grinder was never nasty about any of his comments! Maybe you need to reread his post and rethink his statement before you make unjust accusations like that. ....

top qualitysnowblowers

View my Photos
bluetay

2004-08-30          95012

Oldwoodsguy: I went to a machinery auction at Rodgers,Ohio last year and saw TPH snowblowers in good condition sell for $300-$500. Just thought I'd relay that to you for an idea. Also Penndot and several other state agencies have a machinery sale at Selinsgrove ( I think)near Harrisburg,Pa.the last of September. Hope these help. ....

top qualitysnowblowers

View my Photos
rparch

2004-08-30          95013

"go in the house and put on your depends and lay on the couch"?? ....

top qualitysnowblowers

View my Photos
oneace

2004-08-30          95015

You see there is this new thing, may be you have heard of it. It is called a JOKE you now humor. Oh but wait maybe you are beyond that type of thing. Well here is some advice,GET OVER IT now that is what you may call nasty. You see I have a reputation of being ignorant and an
-ss hole. Nobody likes it when I get "nasty" so I try to keep my cool in here. But when you degrade a good member that burns my ass. Grinder is a very respectable poster in this forum there is no need to degrade his humor nor any body else's for that matter as nasty. ....

top qualitysnowblowers

View my Photos
rparch

2004-08-30          95019

Whoa, oneace, relax, don't get so wouund up. I have no doubt that if Grinder is as good a guy as you say he would probably let me know if I misunderstood him. Maybe you should let him respond for himself. But as a new poster here I don't know the history of everyone and it is hard to figure most people out when you can't look them in the eye. If I missed the wink,wink in his comment it is because of that. ....

top qualitysnowblowers

View my Photos
oneace

2004-08-31          95128

Oh I was not wound up. Stick around and you will see when I get really upset. We try to be as light hearted as possible in here. Most things that seem harsh or nasty are usually meant to be humorous or sarcastic.

Sorry I did not mean to come across so harsh but I am not very good a sugar coating things. ....

top qualitysnowblowers

View my Photos
rparch

2004-08-31          95158

Thanks for the reply. Glad we could clear up that little misunderstanding. I've always had trouble when I first meet people trying to figure out their meaning. Sarcasm can be a lot of fun and I'm always game for a good needle. Like I said it's just hard to get the whole meaning with only words on a page. ....

top qualitysnowblowers

View my Photos
JDFANATIC

2004-09-04          95581

It ain't going to snow no more no more, it ain't going to snow no more, so how in the heck am I going to wash my neck, if it ain't going to snow no more. There, that takes care of the snow thing.

I'll post some pics when I'm forced to use the front blower on the 2210 this #%^&*()+ upcoming winter. ....

top qualitysnowblowers

View my Photos
JAZAK5

2004-09-05          95638

I have a 790/ don,t even consider the 59 blower.!!!!!!
I BOUGHT A ERSKINE for the same money and its twice as built!!!!
its a frame mount and is driven off of your REAR PTO THROUGH A SHAFT.
read my earlier posts

top qualitysnowblowers

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2004-09-05          95654

Sugar coating things???? NOPE I dont think your a
"candy ass" Oneace!!!! LOL ....

top qualitysnowblowers

View my Photos
oneace

2004-09-05          95656

how bout vinegar and baking soda? ....

top qualitysnowblowers

View my Photos
grinder

2004-09-06          95667

rparch
Back from camping, it was just a joke. I think we sometimes
need a reminder how fortunate we are to even have a tractor
for our chores.
Front mount,rear mount,cab,no cab,right tires,wrong tires.
Count your blessings,share your experience,help someone make a decision.
Oh yeah, laugh a little,your dead for a long time.

top qualitysnowblowers

View my Photos
Art White

2004-09-06          95671

Most people in our area without cabs wear snowmobile suits and helmets if they have any amount of snow to move. That is for front or rear snowblower without a cab. I used to think the loader and rear mount blower was the only way to go for messing with the plowed banks. The front blower does them just fine and visibility at the street is better then ever because you are not adding to the banks. ....

top qualitysnowblowers

View my Photos
rparch

2004-09-06          95684

Grinder,

How right you are! It's a blessing just to be able to see and move to plow snow. It is easy to forget and take for granted.

This is a tough decision on a limited budget. As many posters have said here I am realizing that in the end it really boils down to finding a good dealer. One local dealer with three different stores has reently switched from NH to Kubota, not sure what to make of that. I am attracted to the no frills tractors like the JD 790 or NH TC30. Comes from being raised by a grandfather who lived through the Great Depression. Don't buy more than you need but when you do get the best you can afford and pay cash.

But the toys with all the bells and whistles sure are pretty. :-)

Well, anyway, thanks to all you guys for your patience and help.

rparch ....

top qualitysnowblowers

View my Photos
oneace

2004-09-06          95706

I will say this. With the TC 30 you can have a front mount blower and a fell. and it only takes about 5 mins to switch if that long. ....

top qualitysnowblowers

View my Photos
dscott870

2004-09-14          96443

I have the Woods SS60 w/hydraulic chute rotation mounted on an 870 with a front snow blade that replaces the bucket on my FEL. I have a 1500' driveway cut into the side of a hill and we get over 5' of snow/season so blowing it is my only option. The only complaint I have about the Woods is it doesn't like 'light accumulations'' (under 5" or so) for those, I set my plow to max angle and make one pass down the driveway. That leaves a pile of snow on the other 1/2 that I blow off very nicely on the way back up.
You can probably find cheaper snowblowers but you will have trouble finding one better built (my opinion anyway).
Whatever you end up with, have fun with it!! Snow removal is about my favorite tractor activity...followed by some wine in the hot tub! ....

top qualitysnowblowers

View my Photos
stevenmarchesano

2005-07-14          113484

Hi, I am looking for a Pronovost snowblower and was wondering where you got yours----seems like a really good price. I an willing to travel to pick it up for a savings. Thanks ....

top qualitysnowblowers

View my Photos
Prosno

2006-02-04          124056

I've had an Erskin on my 2120 for 9 yrs now and to date no problems, very well built blower. By the way very nice site boys-glad I found it. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login