Go Bottom Go Bottom

Tire chain clearance

View my Photos
Captain B
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-01-21          47914

Just bought a pair of studded HAKKI tire chains for my JD990 with loaded R4s. Mounted one yesterday. The clearance between the chain and the rear fender is only about 1.3" and looks tight. Haven't run them yet because of this concern. The dealer says the clearance should be adequate if the chains are very tight. From the JD parts manual it looks like the fenders have two mounting positions and that I might raise them a bit. Does anyone have experience as to minimum chain/fender clearance and what to do to avoid problems if the clearance is barely adequate? Is it safe to remove the fenders for the season if I am working completely off-road?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Tire chain clearance

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-01-22          47931

If you are working out back chances are you are safe. The chains will expand out as the speed increases. Keeping them tight and having a good fit over the sides will help keep them in place. ....

Tire chain clearance

View my Photos
kay
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-01-22          47963

I had a similar concern for the spacing between the R-4 tires and the fenders on my Deere 4300. I couldn't get chains that I thought would work, so I made a set. This set has longer side chains and shorter cross chains than "normal". My chains fit in the depression at the ends of the R-4 bars, and have worked quite well. The side chains do not lay on the sides of the tires down near the rim, or half way to the rim. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login