Go Bottom Go Bottom

3 PT Snow Blowers Which One

View my Photos
Need INfo
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-04-07          37150

Hi Folks,

I am looking for a 3 pt snow blower for next year, all units I am looking at are 54 inch and I will be putting it on a Kubota BX2200. So far I have come up with the following: JRW- $1100, Farm King $1200, and Pronovost Puma 54- $1130. I have very little info on the JRW, the other two units have web sites which gives some good info. I would like to know if you have any of these units and IF you had to do it again would by but the same unit? Which one is the best unit for my 250 foot long blacktop driveway? Only the Puma had skid shoes, do you think the other units will scratch the driveway? If you know of any units that are better let me know, also anyone in NY, CT, VT, NH that know of units that may be cheaper, end of season sale, at your local dealer, let me know. Twlc@hotmail.com

Thanks

Tom

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
TomG

2002-04-08          37182

I could be surprised, but I thought all blowers have skid shoes of some type. The ones on my 5' Meteor are simply strapping on either side of the auger box. They aren't adequate to keep the blower from sinking to its blade in unfrozen gravel.

Pronovost is a well regarded blower, but I'm used to seeing them priced considerable higher than brands such as Farm King and Meteor. Puma could be an economy line for them, but Pronovost and Meteor are Canadian made so perhaps the current exchange rate prices them lower than a few years ago.

I can't say if a blower will mar blacktop. I have gravel, but I also do my neighbour's blacktop drive. I keep the top link fairly short so the blower tilts back and doesn't pick up gravel etc. I've never tried to angle the blade down and scrape dowb to the drive surface. I just try to keep a bit of snow pack on top of both drives.

View my Photos
snowedin

2002-04-11          37299

Have you looked at the normand line. The Company that sells them up in Canada switched from JRW to Normand last year according to my dealer because of quality issues with the JRW line. You can see them at www.easternfarmmachinery.com ....

View my Photos
DougP

2002-04-13          37366

Tom, I use a Pronovost P-620 blower on my JD755. I have not seen a better built blower or one that works better. We get plenty of snow up here in northern Maine, and this unit handles it without a problem. I highly recommend the hydraulic chute controls, especially if you have a cab. ....

View my Photos
3 pt snowblower sear

2002-04-13          37373

An update....

I was able to find a dealer that has a green, ( wrong color, for a Kubota) Puma 54 for a $1000. I am also looking at the Norman snowblower, if the USA supplier ever calls me back with a list of dealers in my area, ( NJ, NY, PA, MA, CT.). The unit is heavier 455 lbs compared with 362lbs for the Puma. Given they are the same size, I hope/guess this will mean a better unit?? I also found a snowblower mfg by Smyth, a 54 inch unit for $1400. Do not know much about the unit, anyone know anything about it?, I wonder if it is worth an extra $400 and a 5 hour drive?? Also found a Farm King 50 inch unit for $1100, shipped to me, no traveling. Trying to also find more info on the Meteor snowblower, but can not find much about the unit, can anyone help on that one too? Given the mild winter we had, I am hoping to find a good discount for a dealer not wanting to store it for a summer…

The search continues….....

Thanks
Tom

View my Photos
TomG

2002-04-13          37376

You might check the eastern farm machinery site at http://www.easternfarmmachinery.com/ It's a Canadian operation, and I believe Meteor is made in southern Ontario. Most any dealer should be able to find out about the company, but an Ontario dealer certainly would know them. I deal with Rath Farm Equipment (NH) and Elliot Farm Equipment (AGCO). http://www.rathequipment.com/ and http://www.agdealer.com/elliott/. My Meteor came from Rath. ....

View my Photos
3 pt snowblower

2002-04-13          37385

Tom G,

Sent an e-mail to both companies, lets see what happens. Just wondering if the shipping cross the border will be a problem( $$$$$), guess we will see.

The quest continues......

Tom ....

View my Photos
TomG

2002-04-14          37399

No experience with international shipping myself, but I import duties have become low to gone over the past 10 years. I believe that each of these dealers ship to the U.S. fairly often and probably can arrange all the details.

Most any dealer in Canada probably can do much the same. It would be good to find out if shipping costs are from the dealer to you or the factory to you. I like my dealers, but if costs were calculated from the dealer, then it would be good to choose a dealer closest to you. I think each web site of the major manufacturers have dealer locators. I haven't experienced any dealer who pushes factory implements exclusively. All should be aware of after-market manufacturers such as Meteor, Farm King etc.

View my Photos
3 pt snow

2002-04-16          37498

A further update….

I called the two Canada dealers, they did not have any Meteor in stock, would have to order if I wanted it, so no savings. So…. Here is my choice.. go with the Puma or the Normand, the Normand is $100 more. The units are the same except the Normand is 455 lbs vs. The Puma 362 lbs. Do you think the difference in weight pushes it to the Normand?? Interested in anyone’s input on this. FYI the Meteor was only 310 lbs.

Thanks

Tom

View my Photos
TomG

2002-04-17          37525

I'm not sure weight affects how a blower operates much, but then I've never tried to use my blower blade to scrape down to a driveway surface. More weight does often means more ruggedness--especially if the extra weight comes from thicker gauge materials. The weight comparison is especially true for box scrapers that receive high shock loads and need very durable welded joints. Gross weight is a consideration but it may be less of a general quality measure for snow blowers than box scrapers.

I would compare the gauge of flat stock used, but I'd pay more attention to the auger (if they're 2-stage blowers). Augers do bend if the blower is backed into something. Replaceable blades also are good.

I'd compare the fan diameters, number of blades and rpm's. Higher rpm fans throw snow further and maybe a bit more of it as well. Larger diameter fans throw more snow. How much snow a blower throws is the main limitation of operating ground speed. If the fan doesn't clear snow off the auger, then the blower pushes snow ahead of it until it acts like a plow. The only alternative in heavy snows is to go slow. Larger fans take more HP, but if the tractor has the power, I'd go for one with a bigger fan.

There's probably not much to choose between if both have hydraulic chute rotation. They're pretty much the same and they're also very good to have. I use mine a lot and have to have fairly precise control over chute direction. Some mechanical chute rotation mechanisms may be much better than others. Electrically adjustable chute caps are available but I've never felt a need for one.

View my Photos
J Bishop

2002-12-13          46099

Has anyone heard of or had experience with Lucknow blowers? I have an opportunity to buy a used 5' in excellent condition, with an electric motor on the chute, for around $1350 (upstate ny). Any idea what these cost new? Does this price seem reasonable?
Thanks. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2002-12-14          46107

I think I recall some positive comments about Lucknows. There is a town in Ontario called Lucknow, and that's probably where the blowers are made.

There are a couple of listings for used Lucknows at www.weagantfarm.com/used.htm#21%20-%20SNOW%20BLOWERS.

Weagant is a dealer in Ontario not too far from me. The listing prices seem lower than you're looking at but the models or conditions also may not be comparible. The prices may be in $CDN.

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login