Rethinking a snow blower...: Snowblowers / Snow Plows / Removal  -- Tractor Attachments Implements 3ph Discussion Forum and Review Rethinking a snow blower...: Snowblowers / Snow Plows / Removal -- Tractor Attachments Implements 3ph Discussion Forum

parts   |   manuals   |   discussion   |   photos   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   contact   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index
New As Posted | Active Subjects

www.emerichsales.com - New & Used Equipment
          View Tractors For Sale!

www.partsbynet.com - Lawn and Garden Equipment Parts

Bernardsville Landscape Lighting
Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Snowblowers / Snow Plows / Removal Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 03-09-2001, 09:47 Post: 25256
JeffM

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 Rethinking a snow blower...

Well, it's snowing again here in upstate NY. Even though the national news believes that this past week's "blizzard" was a complete bust, we got well over 3 feet at my place in the Adirondack Mountains. Now it is snowing heavily again and we are predicted for another 8-12" by tomorrow. I feel that the 3+ feet was way too much for the loader mounted plow I desire and would have taken forever with my loader. One of my farmer neighbors cleared me out with his huge tractor-mounted blower, although all the ice underneath caused him a lot of grief also. I will clean up on Sunday with my loader. Now I'm wondering if I should consider buying a blower instead of the Curtis plow next winter. How deep a snowfall can I reasonably expect to handle with the loader-mounted plow? One foot? 18 inches? I clear about 200' of driveway as well as a 30' by 50' parking area. Of course, with the loader or plow I have to clear almost twice that area to have sufficient space to pile snow all winter. I'm partial to a front-mounted blower, but I realize a rear blower with the loader up front is a pretty useful combination. Or should I just get the plow and call my neighbor for the 2 or 3 times a winter when we get more than 16" of snow? All opinions are welcome, except for Bird, because who would believe a Texan knows anything about snow? :>)

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us | Technorati | Furl | Stumble This

03-09-2001, 10:34 Post: 25262
Dave M

I live in Western New York. I have had a 75" Meteor 3 point blower for 3 years. I would not want a bigger blower on my 40-ish HP tractor. Cost about $1500. Works very well, but is not as sturdy as a plow. I did break it once; it cost about $100 to get a new auger sprocket, chain and bearing. How many times per year do you clear more than 6" of snow? I find that by February I generally take off the blower and put a blade on the tractor because it isn't worth trying to blow 3" of snow. I did put it back on for the storm you mentioned, though. We got about 12", and I blew out my 500' driveway in 15 minutes, and I didn't have to worry about where I was going to put it. It can be very uncomfortable to blow snow into the wind on a tractor without a cab, though.

My Dad used a loader-mounted plow for many years on a Ford 8N. It was quicker than a back blade or blower when there was only a few inches of snow. It was better able to deal with a lot of snow than a back blade because you can pile the snow higher. It would probably be better for a large parking lot than a blower, too, but I don't think yours is big enough to be a problem.

03-09-2001, 12:28 Post: 25271
Murf

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Jeff, we plow a considerable amount of snow with loader-mounted plows on compacts (40hp class 4wd's) equipped with turf's. As they say in the movies "Be not afraid of it, for it cannot hurt you, not if the FORCE is with you.....". While I'm sure we get similar snow accumulations here (Toronto, Canada) as you do, since you are a south of here, but in the mountains. We regularly deal with snowfalls of +1' with no real problems (other than a lack of sleep). You do NOT need to leave a lot of extra room for 'stacking' the snow as you would when plowing with a truck. Since the plow is mounted out front on the loader, lifting the plow and pushing the top off the snowbank is VERY easy, as is pushing snow up & OVER a bank, something that is almost impossible with a truck since the plow sits so close to the front wheels. My suggestion to you would be to make, or have made, an 'adapter' to enable you to mount a used 6' truck-type snow plow on your loader. While the Curtis is a fine outfit, the cost differnce is HUGE, for example a used plow including fabricating my own quick-tach plate is about $500.00 complete.....your choice. Best of luck.

03-09-2001, 13:36 Post: 25273
Todd

Hey Jeff,
Good advice above. I went with a thrower because even pushing snow over the banks wouldn't solve my problem. Trees in the way near the garage end of the driveway. Snow thrower just kind of tosses the snow thru them. I was wondering what kind of tractor and tires you had. Traction becomes an issue pushing snow, but not nearly as much of one with a snow thrower. My neighbor and I teamed up to clear our other neighbors 300'+ driveway. He couldn't get 10' into it going up the hill with a plow until I made a path with the snow thrower wider than his tires. I made it with turf tires and no chains going up a moderate slope on ice. Not easily, but 4wd and dif lock did it. You can always get heavy ice chains!
Todd

03-09-2001, 16:04 Post: 25279
Paul S

Hey Jeff, We use a large rubber tired loader with a quick attach unit on the loader assembly to move our snow with. We take the loader bucket off and mount a power angle snow plow. You can't believe how easy and how high you can push the snow. You work the plow just like you would the loader bucket and keep piling it up. I don't like the snow blower unless you have dry snow. Takes to long to move the same amount of snow.

03-09-2001, 16:25 Post: 25280
JeffM

Filter by User

Thanks for all the input, although I sure miss not hearing from Bird. I'm going to keep my eye open for a used truck plow this spring and summer and see if I can't save some $$$ over the Curtis plow. Otherwise that's what I will most likely do. I keep forgetting that you can stack the snow with a loader-mounted plow to some degree. BTW, Todd, I have a JD4400 with turf tires and I'm shocked at how much traction I have using the loader on snow and ice, especially with 4WD and with a 48 backhoe as rear ballast. I rarely have to use the diff lock.

03-09-2001, 20:35 Post: 25290
Bird Senter

TP Contributor

JeffM, Bird's been busy all day until just now. But you were right. I don't play in snow, and all I know about snow blowers and snow plows has been what I've read on the forums. I did actually see a few truck mounted plows working when I spent the one winter ('71-'72) in the Chicago area.Laughing out loud

03-10-2001, 07:40 Post: 25317
harvey

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

JeffM I'm down just SW of Syracuse and we get more than our fair share. I ski lots at Whiteface, so I see the snow especially in the Old Forge area. I first started out here with a little 1500 Ford and a 4' box scraper. BOY did I feel good about that. Over a 1000 feet of drive and parking etc. Got tired of that after 6 years then the blizzard of 93-94. Bought a land pride 72' back blade 360 degree rotation. (That is still the weapon of choice.) I'd spend a lot of time pushing back snow banks. Found a little 4' 2 stage very light weight snow blower (it needed rebulding, it was all bent and broken). That was the ticket. I could windrow the snow 3-4 plowings drop the blade off, put on the blower and 1 pass each side of drive ALL GONE. Traded my little ford and 4' blower for a 4400 w/fel... Right now I am missing my snow blower. Granted I don't spend the time pushing back banks or, now, stacking snow but the blower is so much easier on the tractor than all of the loader work or banging the banks with the rear blade. Currently the 4400 has chains on all 4 mainly to protect the tires from cuts. Plus they do make the heavy pushing and skacking easier. Only using the rear blade and the fel. Gonna find another blower old and rusty and CHEAP, rebuild it for the few times I need/want it. Maybe a bright shinny new one if this construction season is as good as last one Smile

03-10-2001, 07:43 Post: 25319
Art White

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Jeff I don't know the depths of the snow we got but were down here trying to clean out for our open house on monday. Any way I'd tell you to forget the blades but for some clean up put a blower on the back and you won't get blowen in. Unfortunatly sold the tractor and blower that I was useing at my house and went to a skid loader. I can't see my neighbors now not that that is a problem but I have no wheres to go with more snow. Now the fun thing is going to be going home with a Gehl tele-handler to stack the banks from the past two months back another 20 feet and make them about 30 foot high instead of just 10 foot. I found it is far easier to use a blower because I don't get a 4' drift across the drive every time the wind blows a little, however I am a "little excited" about the fun I might have with the tele-handler cleaning up the mess I have now.

03-10-2001, 08:03 Post: 25323
TomG

TP Contributor

Filter by User

Regarding how much snow will a blower deal with: I drive a 60" Meteor with 24 PTO HP. It's really a question of ground speed. Slow enough ground speed, and a blower will chew through almost anything. I guess that's an advantage over a blade where there's either enough traction or there's not. With an HST, you can just sort of creep and eat at a snow fall, but with my 12x4 gear tractor, I'd don't have that option. However, I can say that my lowest reverse is about .5 mph at PTO RPM. At that speed, the blower won't quite clear 2.5' - 3' of snow off the auger. The blower ends up acting like a plow, pushing snow ahead of it, with some snow coming off the ends of the blower. Traction may periodically break, and then I have to stop and let the blower chew awhile. In general, plowing is faster than blowing as long as pushing back banks isn't a problem. In addition, I think a case can be made that blowers can deal with very heavy-falls, although very slowly, but a blade may be unable to cope.

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Snowblowers / Snow Plows / Removal Forum

Thread 25256 Filter by Poster:
Art White 1 | Bird Senter 1 | Dave M 1 | harvey 1 | JeffM 6 | Murf 1 | Paul Chase 1 | Paul S 1 | Todd 1 | TomG 2 |

Most Viewed

+ How to build a Front End Loader Snow Blade
+ 3pt. Snowblower Brands??
+ 3 point snow blowers
+ McKee Snowblower Chute Operation
+ 3 pt to front mount
+ Woods SB72 Snowblower
+ Kubota B2782 snowblower 63 front mount
+ Front End Snowblower vs. 3 PH Rear Mounted Snowblo
+ Garden tractor with snowblower???
+ Front end loader snowblower?

Most Discussion

+ How to build a Front End Loade
+ 3pt. Snowblower Brands??
+ Garden tractor with snowblower
+ Survey How long is your drivew
+ Snow Plow on Tractor
+ Snow-plow
+ top qualitysnowblowers ?
+ hydraulic snowblowers
+ JD plow
+ JD 4300 snowblower attach

Newest Topics

+ Cat 1 Lift Arm Pins
+ Ready for Titan Snow with Loftness Rear Snow Blowe
+ 540 PTO speed too slow for snow blower
+ Survey How long is your driveway for snow removal?
+ Kubota B7500 used snowblower cost
+ kubota B7800, front end snow blower Hose Attachmen
+ Kubota B7610 BX2750 Snowblower Video
+ Show Your Snow Removal Equipment
+ snowblower
+ FORD 715A Snowblower operating speed

Turbochargers for Tractors and Industrial Machines
Cab Glass for Tractors and Industrial Machines

Alternators for Tractors and Industrial Machines
Radiators for Tractors and Industrial Machines

Driveline Components for Tractors and Industrial Machines
Starter Motors for Tractors and Industrial Machines