Go Bottom Go Bottom

Survey How long is your driveway for snow removal

View my Photos
DennisCTB
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2013-01-02          185824

1000 feet clear with front blower and rear blade

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Woodie
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2013-01-02          185827

From road to garage door at house approx 560ft, then from the turn out space(access to backyard/ barn) from house to the barn is another 200 ft. plus I clear another 40 by 50 spot for the propane truck to turn around. Generally done with the NH w/ Woods 60"blower, occasionaly using the frt bucket to scrape the packed stuff free/level. Plus a 80ft' 'trail' around the yard for the dog (he's a little adverse to doing his number in deep snow...ha ha)done with the Husqvarna tractor w/ blower. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2013-01-02          185830

Aprox. 150 ft. fairly steep.

Loader and use the boxblade scarifieers if ice is the problem.

Frank. ....

View my Photos
taogden
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2013-01-02          185831

.7 miles for the main house, 900 ft for Aunt & Uncle's house, 550 ft for the sisters house, do the neighbor across the road at about 500ft, other sistes house at ~ 400' and the neighbor behind us ~ 2 miles.
Use the tractor behind me with an 8ft blade from a pickup and an 8 ft blade offset on the rear. ....

View my Photos
candoarms

2013-01-03          185832

My driveway is 600 feet to the highway. I use a 7' rear mounted blade most of the time. When we get a heavy amount of snow I switch to the blower.

The parking lot at the local motel amounts to about an acre. I like using the rear mounted blade when I can, as it makes quick work of that project.

Over the course of the winter (About 7 months long) I'll move snow as far to the side of the driveway as possible, using the blade, until I get to the point where there isn't any room left to put the snow, then I'll hook up to the blower and clear both sides of the driveway. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2013-01-06          185877

About 1,000' in total at my place, plus a couple neighbours places that probably total another 1,000'.

I use the plow on my FEL in my pictures. Fastest, safest (its got a trip edge) way to plow snow I've found yet.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2013-01-06          185880

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf | view 185877
... plus a couple neighbors places that probably total another 1,000'.....

I have only done my neighbors when the storms have been so bad that their regular service was slow in coming. When I start clearing mine I think of my neighbors. By the time I finish mine, I am cold enough that I am thankful I can head back inside for some hot coffee ! Don't have the warmth of a heated cab :(

View my Photos
Art White

2013-01-06          185881

I find that about the time I have mine done the cab is so comfortable that I want to do the neigbors!

Factory cabs just keep getting better, the soft sides like curtis are nice and you can be comfortable, hard side is a little better then the soft side. Windbreakers do help but not as easy to be comfortable.

My drive at home I'm using a 3240 HSTC with a loader on industrial tires with no added weight. it's hard to describe but about 150 deep with house on the side and an open area in front of the garage about 80' across and fifty deep back to the house. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2013-01-06          185885

Don't mean to heap salt on the wound Dennis, but when the snow gets deep I have Plan 'B' still to fall back on......

I have a 100hp tractor 10 minutes up the road at the airport with a 7' wide double auger front-mounted blower.

That baby clears anything Mother Nature can lay down, and at a decent travel speed too!!

What do you wear while clearing snow Dennis? For years our guys (and myself) wore snowmobile suits and helmets (complete with electric defogger on the visor, and heated mitts and insoles) and could work 8-12 hours straight without really getting cold at all.

Best of luck.

View my Photos
cutter

2013-01-06          185888

500 feet plus barn apron cleaned with rear mount two stage blower and front loader mounted on Kubota with heated cab. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2013-01-07          185890

I admire you all. Not jealous a bit. Well the cab with air would be nice. ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2013-01-07          185892

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf | view 185885
.....What do you wear while clearing snow Dennis?......

I had to chuckle on that question.... whenever my brother calls he jokingly asks "what are you wearing?"

Goretex Northface Parka and pants, winter laced boots, Ski Goggles, Goretex Gloves.

I think we are in for another little to no snow winter again this year. ....

View my Photos
Woodie

2013-01-07          185893

Dennis- I think you maybe right on little to no snow... but been very cold here, some single digit wind chill but tomorrow and rest of week in the 40 degree range. Too early for Jan thaw...... looks to be like another wild weird weather year... but like the old tv butter commerical ".. don't get fooled by Mother Nature.." ....

View my Photos
harvey

2013-01-11          185942

I have a 1/4 mile loop drive and parking areas. Use bucket for quickie and packing early snow. 6' rear scraper to wind row then an awesome blower I got from Art to give it a good BJ!

The widow be back from Florida so have to open hers up and take care of that also rest of winter. Thats about 1000' all uphill so the chains have to come out or I'll fight it 3X longer than needed. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2013-01-12          185944

Guys;

So far it looks like I have about the shortest drive to clear, but it slopes pretty steep in the wrong direection. It slopes to the north east so the winter sun dosen't do near the good as if it sloped to the south. I did somewhat think about that when we built the house, but the house just fit and looked better the way it ended up being built.

OK, Now the next question, what do you guys have for a surface on your drives? There have been a couple blacktop guys stop by wanting to blacktop ours but I declined. My thinking was that I can 99% of the time use the scarifiers turned backward in the box blade to get a bit of loose gravel to come to the surface when ice is the villan for the tires to grab hold of.

Frank. ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2013-01-12          185945

I had a flat gravel drive on my previous house and had to let the ice build a base then sand it if needed. The current house has a good slope to it so I opted to pave the whole thing. My rationale was that with a paved drive I would be better able to scrape it clean and sand and salt if needed. Whereas with the gravel drive I would have to create an ice build up and then apply lots more sand to create bite.

I think the paved drive has worked as planned, I have used very little sand and salt over the last 15 years and it cleans up well.

View my Photos
harvey

2013-01-13          185949

Asphalt in front of house and part of drive. The rest is millings (ground up asphalt crushed). Those areas I pack the first snows to freeze in so I hope to never see surface until spring. But the thaw cycles tend to mess that up.

The widows is crushed limestone runner crush. Hers is tough hi crown and ruts. So the blower does catch a fair amount of stone with the freeze thaw cycles. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2013-01-14          185958

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwood | view 185944
Guys;So far it looks like I have about the shortest drive to clear, but it slopes pretty steep in the wrong direection. It slopes to the north east so the winter sun dosen't do near the good as if it sloped to the south.Now the next question, what do you guys have for a surface on your drives?

Frank, I'm blessed with a really flat driveway here, one of the advantages of living in a river delta. About half of it is paved, the other half fine ground limestone screenings.

For your slope I'd be trying a different angle with the ice, IMHO & experience, leaving the ice in place means a better surface come spring. My driveway at the farm is exactly the same, it gets direct sun only in the morning. I've found an old fertilizer spreader full of sand which is (or has been) wetted with CaCl or MaCl works the best. The CaCl makes the sand bite into the ice and it's like driving on sandpaper. Even subsequent plowings or snowblowings won't take it off, it's stuck in place till the next melt.

Even just a hand sprayer to wet the ice just as you're sanding makes a big difference.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
auerbach

2013-01-19          186008

Mine's 1000', level, turns, stone dust. Front bucket, rear blade, 4 chains on the turfs.

Blade modifications:
-increased angle to about 45 to help the snow slide to the offside and so (for narrow places) neither side goes outside the tractor track
-good weights on it (yannies don't have power-down)
-a brace to reduce the strain on the hitch when back-pushing
-beveled the lower corners so doesn't catch on sidewalk irregularities when helping neighbors
-increased the height dimension to reduce spillover at the outflow side
-removable custom "box-blade wing" at the outflow side (more for soil- and driveway-leveling than for snow)
-a crank-device so I can raise-lower one lift arm from the seat, to modify the changes from horizontal (my driveway's crowned)
-a trailer ball and a pin-hitch-holder so to move a heavy implement I can back to it and scoop it up

I wish everything I owned gave the same value-for-dollar as that simple blade. ....

View my Photos
magnum1990

2013-01-30          186099

My driveway is about 650' but, all of the roads around the property, between the barns, add another 1/4 mile. All gravel. I use a 3pt grader blade that is 6-way adjustable (manually) Years ago, I read a thread on this site. I believe it was written by one of the "founding fathers" of T.P. He mentioned taking a length of pipe and cutting a slot, lengthwise. Then slide that pipe over the cutting edge of the blade. I can not tell you how many hours of grading gravel each spring that has saved me. I wish I could remember who posted that gem. I almost never dig my gravel now. Been using that set up for 6 or more years! THANK YOU :-) After I plow my place, I head out to the neighboring sub-division. Most driveways are asphault, some concrete. The pipe trick works great on the concrete. Keeps my blade from catching an expansion joint. ( one time, I was lazy and did not put the pipe on. BIG MISTAKE! I hit a joint in 4wd low at about 1/2 mph. Bent one of my loader mast mounts! Took a month to get the replacement part. Took two days to fix. I won't ever forget that pipe again! ) I usually end up plowing 25-30 driveways, all between 150-200' long. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2013-01-31          186107

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum1990 | view 186099
My driveway is about 650' but, all of the roads around the property, between the barns, add another 1/4 mile. All gravel. I use a 3pt grader blade that is 6-way adjustable (manually) Years ago, I read a thread on this site. I believe it was written by one of the "founding fathers" of T.P. He mentioned taking a length of pipe and cutting a slot, lengthwise. Then slide that pipe over the cutting edge of the blade. I can not tell you how many hours of grading gravel each spring that has saved me. I wish I could remember who posted that gem. I almost never dig my gravel now. Been using that set up for 6 or more years! THANK YOU :-)

Well there's a flash back, and you're most welcome too BTW. Thank you for the kind words.

I did a quick search and it looks like the first time I spilled the beans about it is here;

"Shhhh, old Canadian secret, don't tell anyone.....LOL, cut a piece of thick steel pipe (soft, not cast iron), 2" diameter is good, the same length as your bucket is wide, all the way along it's length. Next drill a couple of 1/2" holes, one each end and one in the middle works well, then weld a 3/8" nut over each hole. Slip the pipe over the cutting edge of your bucket with the nuts on the top, then thread a bolt long enough to contact the bucket bottom into each nut and tighten it in place.Ta-da!! No more gouging the driveway.Best of luck."

That was nearly 10 years ago now. Wow how time flies!!

The full thread is linked to below.

<br>
<br>
<br>
Well there's a flash back, and you're most welcome too BTW. Thank <u>you</u> for the kind words.<br>
<br>
I did a quick search and it looks like the first time I spilled the beans about it is here;<br>
<br>
"Shhhh, old Canadian secret, don't tell anyone.....LOL, cut a piece of thick steel pipe (soft, not cast iron), 2" diameter is good, the same length as your bucket is wide, all the way along it's length. Next drill a couple of 1/2" holes, one each end and one in the middle works well, then weld a 3/8" nut over each hole. Slip the pipe over the cutting edge of your bucket with the nuts on the top, then thread a bolt long enough to contact the bucket bottom into each nut and tighten it in place.Ta-da!! No more gouging the driveway.Best of luck."<br>
<br>
That was nearly 10 years ago now. Wow how time flies!!<br>
<br>
The full thread is linked to below.<br>
<br>
[p]tractorpoint.com/ctb/memberPhotos/drcjv.5.jpg[/p]  <br>
<br>
Best of luck.

Best of luck. ....

Link:   The Murphy Pipe Origins.

View my Photos
magnum1990

2013-02-01          186116

MURF !!! THANK YOU !!! THANK YOU !!! That pipe has made it waaaayyyyyyyy easier to plow! Back in the winter of 08, I actually wore thru the pipe. Pipe is cheap compared to grader blade cutting edge ! You saved me time, money, and a lot of maint. If you ever leave the "great white North" for a visit to the USA, you are always welcome at my humble abode. The Blue-ridge Mountains of Virginia are beautiful. Lots to see and do. If you like fishing, Smith Mountain Lake is just below my place, I can see it from my front porch. Big bonus...I am sure it's a lot warmer down here! Stop in any time. I owe you one my friend. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2013-02-01          186119

As a matter of fact, I'll be within an hour or so of you on Monday as I come down I-77 enroute to Florida.

Glad I could be of help. I just might take you up on that invite, after it warms up a little more.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
magnum1990

2013-02-11          186170

Hi Murf! I hope your trip went well. Sorry I have not posted since 2/1. My daughter got the flu, followed by my wife, followed by me. Ugghh! We are all recovering. Anyway, drop me an email ahead of time, and your welcome to stop by on your next trip. Do you operate a semi? One of the guys who worked for me is now driving for Maverick ( I think ). He loves it. Been everywhere from Alberta to Miami! Thanks again. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2013-02-11          186176

Hi Magnum.

Glad to hear you're all on the mend. Not trucking, practicing for retirement and doing some buying and scouting.

Best of luck.

View my Photos
magnum1990

2013-02-26          186300

Hi Murf! Glad to hear you are planning for the future! LOTS of folks from up North have made the Blue Ridge their retirement home. My folks are currently preparing their home in Massachusetts to sell this spring. They bought some land here, on the lake about 10 years ago. We have so many transplants that you are more likely to hear a NEW YORK accent in line at the grocery store than the local Southern dialect. That being said, if you find a place OFF the lake, the prices are great and most of your neighbors will be locals. We have access to great medical care nearby in Roanoke, VA and the overall cost of living is much less than up North. Taxes are low , for now..., and most local governments are very conservative, NOT PROGRESSIVE!! ( Roanoke CITY being the exception to the rule ) MOST IMPORTANTLY, MUCH LESS SNOW!! :-) Consider taking a look at Bedford, Franklin, or Floyd counties. I bet you'd like it. Let me know if I can help. Lastly, lots of old tractors sitting in barns, waiting to be restored..if you are into that! Good luck. ....

View my Photos
jonstark

2014-02-06          188853

1/2 mile gravel then 1/4 mile on dirt to log landing this year.

Rear mount snow blower and a stiff neck. This has gotta change before next winter!

jon ....

View my Photos
candoarms

2014-02-09          188894

Jon,

I hope this helps you out as much as it did for me. Please see the pictures below...provided I can get them here.

Adding a couple of magnetically attached mirrors to my loader arms has saved my neck when blowing snow with the rear mounted blower.

Joel ....

View my Photos
candoarms

2014-02-09          188895

Magnetic mirror attachment ....

Picture Link
Snowblowers / Snow Plows  Survey How long is your driveway for snow removal

View my Photos
candoarms

2014-02-09          188896

Picture Link

View my Photos
candoarms

2014-02-09          188897

Picture Link

View my Photos
candoarms

2014-02-09          188898

I purchased these mirrors at a garage sale for 5 bucks.

The angle iron was scrap that I had left over from another project.

The magnets are 3.2" diameter, each with 95 pounds of pull, which I found on Ebay for 40 bucks per set of 4.

Hope this helps.

Joel ....

View my Photos
jonstark

2014-02-09          188902

[LIKE] ....

View my Photos
candoarms

2014-02-09          188904

Jon,

I forgot to mention that after first installing these mirrors, I'd find that the tractor's vibrations would cause the mirrors to rotate on the adjustment stem, until they were pointing nearly straight down.

I made several attempts to rectify the problem, until I finally came up with a very simple solution.

There's a rubber boot on the back of each mirror, which allows for mirror positioning. I positioned the mirrors exactly where I wanted them, then applied some of my wife's clear fingernail polish over that rubber boot. After letting it dry for an hour or more, I tried it again. The boot no longer moves, and the mirrors no longer need to be adjusted.

Now I'm sure there are other ways of accomplishing this task, but this was a very simple solution that cost me nothing.

Hope this helps.

Joel ....

View my Photos
Murf

2014-02-09          188907

Joel, if they're not seized up, those 3 screws around the mounting stud are the tension adjustment. As you adjust them they change how hard the front and back rings squeeze on the ball at the end of the mounting stem.

Crank them down a little more and it'll be so tight you won't be able to move them for love nor money!

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
candoarms

2014-02-09          188908

Murf,

I did try tightening those screws, and I think that may have worked at one time, but these mirrors sat in an old shed for many years and the roof didn't have much left of it when I saw these mirrors sitting inside. The mirrors were in tough shape. They look a whole lot better now than they did when I first got them.

Maybe my attempt to save some money wasn't such a good idea, but I couldn't pass them up for 5 bucks.

You are right, however. A decent set of mirrors would allow for the adjustment to the tension on that rubber boot.

Thanks for the comments. Always enjoy a good conversation.

Joel ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2014-02-09          188910

Very Very Nice Joel! Clever idea

If I had those mirrors I might have seriously considered the Rear Blower Front Loader combination instead of the Front Blower I have with a rear grader blade.

Dennis ....

View my Photos
candoarms

2014-02-09          188911

DennisCTB,

Thank you.

It is true that I have to reach over once in a while to wipe them off, depending on which way the wind is blowing, but it's a very minor inconvenience.

For me, where the snow blows in and turns to concrete, there was no question that a front loader was going to be necessary to help break up these snow drifts before they could be blown out. A front loader-rear blower setup was my only choice. The problem, however, is a severe lack of operator comfort when running the rear mounted blower all day long. What a pain in the NECK!

The addition of the mirrors was something that just had to be done. I wasn't sure how well they'd work, but it was something I just had to try.

The addition of the mirrors made such a difference that it's really hard to put into words. Night and day difference.

I still look back and down when working next to a sidewalk, parking curbs, etc......but it's mainly only when first opening up an area. Once I'm out in the open, no more looking over my shoulder.

Joel ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2014-02-10          188914

My drive got lots easier to plow this winter, I don't have one anymore.
I actually did sort of enjoy getting out with the loader pushing snow around, and do miss it.
This winter I watch the plow guy out of outside our apartment window push the snow.

Frank.

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login