Go Bottom Go Bottom

Snow blowing outfits

View my Photos
Hettric
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2011-01-12          176359

Anybody have tips or tricks for a outfit to wear while snow blowing without a cab? I have a JD 755 with front mount snowblower and wear insulated overalls under foul weather gear. The biggest issue is while the hood keeps the snow off and out of your collar, it's very difficult to look behind you.The second worse issue is you quickly end up sitting in a puddle that eventually seeps through the rain gear. And of course it's hard to keep the hands warm. I should mention where I am we typically get a wet snow/rain mix.
Thanks

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Snow blowing outfits

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2011-01-12          176360

We used to have this exact problem, and while plowing commercially too!!

The solution for us was simple, borrow ideas from the guys who have to do similar tasks in similar conditions.

So we used snowmobile suits (wind and water proof), snowmobile helmets (electrically defrosted visors, warm and easily equipped with communications if desired), snowmobile mitts and boots (warm, dry and fairly 'workable'). They even have 12 volt mitt & boot warmers!

Best of luck. ....

Snow blowing outfits

View my Photos
Hettric

2011-01-12          176361

Thanks Murf,
I have been eying the snowmobile helmets, but times are tough so I wanted to be sure it would work before spending the money. Do the unheated anti-fog face shields work? Or do I need the heated one? ....

Snow blowing outfits

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2011-01-12          176362

Two pair quality wool socks in oversize boots. A pair of wool gloves inside oversize waterproofed-leather mitts. A wool neck scarf and a cap with earflaps (an attached hood makes it hard to see behind). A ski mask if it's blowing. Insulated pants sprayed with waterproofing. Hot chocolate waiting at home. ....

Snow blowing outfits

View my Photos
yooperpete

2011-01-12          176363

I bought a windbreaker cab from Tractor Supply. It's universal side entry and now sells for $229.95. Not all that sturdy but have had it for nearly 15 years. Search under "windbreak cab". If you look at my pics you will see it. A 3 sided cab does wonders for your situation. A good snowmobile helmet with heated visor is $180.00 plus coat is $130.00 and bibs are $100.00-boots are $90.00. If you are a snowmobilier that may be different story. ....

Snow blowing outfits

View my Photos
Murf

2011-01-12          176367

The unheated ones work if you leave them open a crack which kind of defeats the purpose of keeping out the wind & snow. But the heated visor is only something like $20 on top of the helmet cost.

Check some of the used sources, Craigslist an eBay's direct sales site, up here its called Kijiji, but I think they renamed it south of the border.

Best of luck. ....

Snow blowing outfits

View my Photos
candoarms

2011-01-12          176373

Hettric,

I have never faced the conditions you have. Wet weather is something foreign to me until sometime in late March, or April. However, I run a rear mounted snowblower in temperatures well below zero without a cab.

You're going to really enjoy having a mirror mounted somewhere on the loader support, near your loader control valve. It has to be within arms reach, because you'll be wiping it clean with your glove every few minutes. The rear-view mirror is a real handy thing. I prefer to have one on each side of the tractor, as it's sometimes difficult to see anything in the one mirror when blowing to that side.

Like you, I don't like hoods. I'd rather have the snow go down my back. It's just water. It dries. When I'm done blowing snow for the day, my wet clothes go in the dryer.

A bitterly cold wind is something that I fight on a daily basis. I found that a set of goggles with tinted lenses really helps. It doesn't cover my entire face, so I don't have to worry about them fogging up.......and it makes it a whole easier to wipe your nose once in a while......which is one reason why I hate those helmets.

My old Carhartt jacket didn't have a removeable hood. So each time I'd come in the house I'd be wearing about 5 pounds of snow in the hood. I have a new Carhartt without a hood. I like it much better.

Another trick is to turn your stocking cap flaps to the inside, rather that flipping them up after pulling it over your head. When tucked inside, the flaps don't catch any snow. This keeps your head dry much longer.

For the hands, nothing beats a pair of wool inserts inside an outter wool mit. At 15 degrees below zero, I can blow continously for about 4 hours before my frozen toes force me to take a coffee break.

I've considered having a tractor with a cab, but I just can't see myself sitting in one. Part of having a tractor is enjoying the great outdoors, no matter how mean mother nature can sometimes be.

Winter is almost over. June isn't that far off. (Old North Dakota joke) hehehe.

Put a couple of magnetic mirrors on your loader supports. I think you'll enjoy that.

Joel ....

Snow blowing outfits

View my Photos
candoarms

2011-01-13          176376

Hettric,

I can no longer find the magnetic mirrors I use, but I found a similar set.

I'm not sure how vibration would affect these. My mirrors have a rubber rod running from the magnet to the mirror, which greatly reduces the problems with visibility due to vibrations in the tractor. I added extra weight to my mirrors, increasing the mass, which nearly eliminates the problems with vibration.

Please click on the link below.

Joel ....

Link:   Spring Clamp Mirror for Tractor Loader

Snow blowing outfits

View my Photos
Murf

2011-01-13          176379

Joel, see if you can find somebody local who still has a 1980's vintage cell phone antenna lying around. They have a magnet that has holding power second to none.

You might also find one in a surplus place.

The next best alternative is a cheap magnetic welding clamp for the ground side of a stick welder. Take out the spring-loaded contact and screw in a generic motorcycle or bicycle in it's place.

As for fogging up a helmet visor, they sell face masks which are like a face-only balaclava. Sort of an insulated dust mask in appearance. The hook is they have a vent from below your nose that leads straight down. If worn under a helmet it directs your breath out below the bottom edge of the helmet to prevent fogging. It also allows you to breath fresh air from outside the helmet.

For cold toes the answer is electrically heated socks or insoles. Most sporting / hunting places have them for buttons. I have a pair that are probably now 25 years old, they have a wire that runs up each pant leg to the waist where you can either wear a battery pack, or plug them into a 12 volt power lead. They have a "Hi-Med-Lo" switch at the waist as well.

Best of luck.

Best of luck. ....

Snow blowing outfits

View my Photos
kthompson

2011-01-13          176384

Since I think right after Thanksgiving we have been much colder than normal and for us very unusual snow twice or snow once and ice the second time. One of the weather reporters did a great job when he said our high is lower than our normal low temp. What have I learned in this...you guys are to be admired! Be careful out there. ....

Snow blowing outfits

View my Photos
charlieK

2011-01-15          176419

as far as heated clothing; my money would be on GERBINGS but i ride a bike and try not to do much when it's cold except brave the elements to bring in some fire wood ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login