Go Bottom Go Bottom

snow plow attachment

View my Photos
esteskennels
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2010-09-01          173631

I have a JD4200 with a 420 loader, currently in the process of purchasing a used 6ft. front plow. The plow will hook up to the loader arms without any problem. I have 4 ports coming off the loader, 2 for lift and 2 for tilt, there are 2 lines coming from the plow, to angle right and left. My question is this, can I connect the plow lines to the tilt ports on the loader? I will have no need for the tilt function, and this would allow me to use existing loader control. Or, do I have this wrong and have to run independent hydro lines for plow.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

snow plow attachment

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-09-01          173634

I dunno about the lines, but I question using a 6' plow though. Isn't your machine close to 6' wide? If so, will you only be using it in the straight position? Why? You'll lose somewhere around 8" on each side when it rotates. And you'll end up driving on and knocking down windrows and unplowed snow.

My skid steer is 6' wide with an 8' plow and I still get the aforementioned issue when the depth exceeds 6". ....

snow plow attachment

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2010-09-01          173635

I can't think of a reason to not use the tilt circut for your angle cylinder.
I'm not sure of the width of your tractor but I think they use a 60 inch mid mower to cover the tire tracks, so just guessing the outside width of your tractor's rear tires is probably 52 - 54 inches leaving you 9 - 10 inches on the outside of each rear tire, enough with an angled blade???
I'm hoping you have four wheel drive or you will have a difficult time at best, and even with four wheel dirve you'll need as much or more rear ballast than you loader bucket requires.
Frank. ....

snow plow attachment

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-09-02          173653

You certainly can use the curl (you call it tilt) circuit to angle the plow, we do it all the time.

The only thing you will need the curl function for is if you plan on using the plow to stack snow, or to take the tops off of drifts/piles. Particularly when you're stacking snow, if you tilt the plow upwards and then just plow the snow up the hard side of the existing pile you can really pile up snow fast.

However, it's easy enough to use a bit of plumbing to allow you to have an either/or setup, flip a diverter one way you have curl, the other way you have angle.

Best of luck. ....

snow plow attachment

View my Photos
earthwrks

2010-09-02          173663

Assuming you don't have a cab, have you plowed snow on a tractor?

I'm a detractor from using a cabless tractor for snow (I'd much prefer a toasty pickup or SUV).

Even if you have a cab it takes a significant amount of inside heat to a. Keep from freezing b. Keep ice from forming inside when you perspire or even breathe. Then you're looking at needing a windshield wiper to wipe off the melted snow and ice.

If you have a cab with no heat you will have to open a window and keep it open---at that point it's just weatherbreak.

I got out of the plowing biz 5 years ago and haven't looked back. I plow a mile long private road and that's it. I've got an enclosed and heated cab on my skid steer with an 8' plow, and it takes every bit of heat to keep ice from forming. ....

snow plow attachment

View my Photos
Murf

2010-09-02          173665

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthwrks | view 173663
I've got an enclosed and heated cab on my skid steer with an 8' plow, and it takes every bit of heat to keep ice from forming.

EW, it's been our experience that the volume of moving air matters more than the heat of the air does.

If you blow a lot warm air across glass it will do far more than a gentle breeze of really hot air will.

Over and above that, if you have a cab with A/C running the compressor makes a huge difference too. That's why auto (and trucks of course) defrosters also engage the A/C compressor too.

Best of luck. ....

snow plow attachment

View my Photos
Radoubs

2010-09-12          173973

I did put a snow blade on my JD3720 last year and I would never give up on my tilt function, I did install another set of hydraulic lines to get the rotate function.
My blade is a 7 ft wide which is o.k. for my tractor width, I do have a few curbs on my driveway and a 6 ft. would not be enough.

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login