How do I move snow ? 
: Snowblowers / Snow Plows / Removal  -- Tractor Attachments Implements 3ph Discussion Forum and Review How do I move snow ? : Snowblowers / Snow Plows / Removal -- Tractor Attachments Implements 3ph Discussion Forum

parts   |   manuals   |   discussion   |   photos   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   contact   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index
New As Posted | Active Subjects

www.emerichsales.com - New & Used Equipment
          View Tractors For Sale!

www.partsbynet.com - Lawn and Garden Equipment Parts

Bernardsville Landscape Lighting
Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Snowblowers / Snow Plows / Removal Forum

Page [ 1 ] |
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 03-15-1999, 00:00 Post: 1729
George

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster
 How do I move snow ?

Living in N.E., we get our share of snow in the winter. I think I have a few options. I have a JD 4100 with loader1) Use the loader/bucket.2) Buy a rear blade or front blade.3) Buy a snowblower.The blower seems expensive. Also my driveway is all gravel and my past snowblower would make a mess as well as toss gravel at death speed at anything near it.I am leaning towards a rear blade but am afraid it may dig up the driveway. That is what is happening with the front loader. I either leave a few inches of snow as safety or dig up part of the driveway WITH the snow.ANY ADVISE or SUGGESTIONS would be appreciated.

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us | Technorati | Furl | Stumble This

03-15-1999, 00:00 Post: 1735
CDF

How do I move snow ?

George,I have been using a 54" front blade on a JD 345 to move snow from a gravel driveway for 4 years, I live in southern MI.Rule # 1 - If the driveway is not frozen, don't plow it, wait for it to freeze. In southern MI we get alot of storms that start out as rain and change to snow during the night. The mud beneath the snow moves off as you plow, all of your gravel goes with it.Rule # 2 - Even when the driveway is froze, the top layer of gravel is going to move off with the snow. Put it where you will find it in the spring.Rule # 3 Don't push the snow out into the road, the gravel goes with it. The road commision likes it when we make donations, but they don't pay for your gravel.Rule # 4 Be prepaired to touch up the bare spots on the driveway in the spring.Hope this helps-Ferris

03-15-1999, 00:00 Post: 1742
Jack in IL

How do I move snow ?

I agree with you that a snowblower in impractical on a gravel drive. I use a rear utility blade equipped with skid shoes. (Woods) I set the skid shoes so the blade just barely skims the gravel. It works well.

03-16-1999, 00:00 Post: 1751
CHIP PERRY

How do I move snow ?

HEY GEORGE, I HAVE A MODEL1920 FORD NEW HOLLAND WITH A SIX FOOT TWO STAGE BLOWER. I HAVE USED IT THE LAST THREE YEARS TO KEEP OPEN A FOUR MILE FIRE TRAIL HERE IN NORTHERN MINNESOTA. WORKS GREAT. CUTS THROUGH TWO FEET OF SNOW LIKE A HOT KNIFE THRU BUTTER. ROCKS CAN BE A PROBLEM THOUGH. SO WHAT I DO, IS COMPACT THE FIRST FEW INCHES OF SNOW, AND RUN THE BLOWER OVER THE TOP OF THAT. SURE, ONCE IN A WHILE I DIG A LITTLE DEEP GOING UP OR DOWN A HILL AND TOSS A FEW STONES. THEY DON'T GO MORE THAN THIRTY FEET AND THEY ARE SURROUNDED BY SNOW SO NEVER BEEN A REAL PROBLEM. BUT ALL IN ALL BLOWING IS MY FAVORITE. YOU CAN ONLY MOVE SNOW WITH A BLADE SO FAR. INCIDENTLY, I MOVED AND NO LONGER NEED MY MACHINE. IT HAS LESS THAN 400 HOURS ON IT AND MOST OF THOSE WERE AT IDLE OPERATING A LOG SPLITTER. GOOD LUCK

03-16-1999, 00:00 Post: 1757

How do I move snow ?

I have a 4100 with a 5' land pride rear blade and a loader. The blade worksgood but there is a point at which it just does not move snow too well, on theorder of 18" or so. The problem with gravel can be solved, somewhat, by controlinghow much you drop the blade. The loader is great for pushing snow and moving itbut clearing an entire drive would be a pain.Good luck

03-17-1999, 00:00 Post: 1771
Randy

How do I move snow ?

I have a 755 with a loader and a rear blade. I like the loader much better than the blade. You should have a "float" position on your loader. This is usually the forward most position on your hyd. control. You will have no down pressure in this position. Then use the curl in your bucket to regulate the cut. Obviously if it is curled down to far you are going to dig in the gravel. A neutral position (level) seems to work the best.... Hope this helps Randy

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] |

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Snowblowers / Snow Plows / Removal Forum

Thread 1729 Filter by Poster:
1 | CDF 1 | CHIP PERRY 1 | George 1 | Jack in IL 1 | Randy 1 |

Most Viewed

+ How to build a Front End Loader Snow Blade
+ 3pt. Snowblower Brands??
+ 3 point snow blowers
+ McKee Snowblower Chute Operation
+ 3 pt to front mount
+ Woods SB72 Snowblower
+ Kubota B2782 snowblower 63 front mount
+ Front End Snowblower vs. 3 PH Rear Mounted Snowblo
+ Garden tractor with snowblower???
+ Front end loader snowblower?

Most Discussion

+ How to build a Front End Loade
+ 3pt. Snowblower Brands??
+ Garden tractor with snowblower
+ Survey How long is your drivew
+ Snow Plow on Tractor
+ Snow-plow
+ top qualitysnowblowers ?
+ hydraulic snowblowers
+ JD plow
+ JD 4300 snowblower attach

Newest Topics

+ Cat 1 Lift Arm Pins
+ Ready for Titan Snow with Loftness Rear Snow Blowe
+ 540 PTO speed too slow for snow blower
+ Survey How long is your driveway for snow removal?
+ Kubota B7500 used snowblower cost
+ kubota B7800, front end snow blower Hose Attachmen
+ Kubota B7610 BX2750 Snowblower Video
+ Show Your Snow Removal Equipment
+ snowblower
+ FORD 715A Snowblower operating speed

Turbochargers for Tractors and Industrial Machines
Cab Glass for Tractors and Industrial Machines

Alternators for Tractors and Industrial Machines
Radiators for Tractors and Industrial Machines

Driveline Components for Tractors and Industrial Machines
Starter Motors for Tractors and Industrial Machines