Go Bottom Go Bottom

Want to run a front snowblower on the back

View my Photos
metalman
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-01-21          159675

I have a Kubota B-5200 with front bucket. I found a Front mount snowblower (B-L 2563 for $200.00) I'm a welder and can retrofit to my 3-pt. rearend BUT will the blower run BACKWARDS? If so what can I do...Rick

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-01-21          159677

The engineer in me says "yes", the fabricator in me says "no".

There's an old engineering saying "Nothing is impossible, but somethings are prohibitively expensive to do."

A typical front PTO runs at 2,000 rpm, the rear PTO is 540 rpm.

Now, some front blowers are 540 models with a gearbox on them, but not many, especially the OEM models.

It will NOT run backwards however. The fan is designed for a certain rotation, spinning it backwards it won't do anything, especially blow snow.

If however you can get a good deal on the blower, I'd happily give you a good deal more than $200 for it. LOL

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
metalman

2009-01-21          159678

Thanks Murf, I understand the difference between the challange of "Can I do it" to "Wow that was a lot of work". The unit is 50 miles from me yet sight unseen and I would guess your offer of purchase would mean getting it to Ontario, Canada . Again the devel is in the details. Thanks I love this site. very helpfull. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2009-01-21          159679

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalman | view 159678
Thanks I love this site. very helpfull.

Welcome to the site, stick around, we're a fun bunch of people!! LOL

If the unit is in reasonable condition, no, I'll take it where it is, I'd have it picked up in Ann Arbor, cash on the barrel head.

Like I said, the big problem will be the rotation and speed change.

Best of luck.

View my Photos
metalman

2009-01-21          159683

The blower is in Monroe, Mich. I can give you the contact info and if you can find me a rear(50" wide) snow blower in $200 to $300 range ?? If possable maybe we both can get something?? ....

View my Photos
Murf

2009-01-21          159685

Check your messages. :) ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2009-01-21          159698

Surplus Center has some directional change boxes--some inline, some angle.

Murf, a FRONT 2,000 RPM PTO? a.) What turns it b.) and what keeps it constant?

Could a 1000 RPM mid-mount PTO be used instead?

BRAIN FART: The other day I was thinking of converting my 6' 3pt flail mower into a snow blower. It's on Detroit Metro Craigslist for $200, but still no takers. Murf, you mentioned something awhile back about guys making their own blowers with a rotor and rubber paddles. This seems like it would the perfect set up. The rear of it is open, as is the front for grass to enter. The rotor flails could be easily removed and longitudinal rubber paddles put in their place. Rotation direction could be chaaged by flipping the PTO drive train the other way toward the rear I think (actually I'm too tired to think so somebody correct me here).

Metalman, I decided not to do this --I'm staying with my snow blade on the skid steer. But this may be ticket for you! I need cash but my laptiop is dying so I would consider trading a decent laptop instead--but it has to be able to support a data aircard.

BTW, I'm north of Monroe about 10 miles on US-24 and I-75. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2009-01-21          159699

Metalman, check your messages. There's one from me too. ....

View my Photos
metalman

2009-01-21          159700

I'm not seeing any messages on my e-mail Not sure I'm new to this Tractor point.com Thanks...rick ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2009-01-21          159701

Rick: Tractor Point should be sending these messages in the same format as your notification you got to reply to the post. Or mayeb your spam filter is on and is delteing the private messages.

If all else fails please read my above posts on using a flail mower converted to a snow thrower and let me know what you think. Call me at 734 552-3317. I'm north of Monroe. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2009-01-21          159703

Rick, check in your profile (click myProfile at top of page) to make sure that your private messages are enabled. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2009-01-22          159720

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthwrks | view 159698
Thanks I love this site. very helpfull.
[QUOTE=earthwrks;159698] Murf, you mentioned something awhile back about guys making their own blowers with a rotor and rubber paddles. This seems like it would the perfect set up.

Rotation direction could be chaaged by flipping the PTO drive train the other way toward the rear I think (actually I'm too tired to think so somebody correct me here). [/QUOTE]

Jeff, you are correct, with most flails rotation can be reversed by flipping the 'banjo' or gear box, but in most cases you also need a few bits and pieces, plates, etc., to make bolt holes line up and such. You also need some new sheet metal for changing direction and height of the snow thrown. It makes basically a very large single stage blower. They work OK as long as you're not in a big rush. They are pretty good for wet slushy stuff though, there's nothing to clog.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2009-01-23          159762

Murf I got your private moderator message, but couldn't reply to it as it was sent back. I sent you a private message the "thing" and I'm very interested. As luck would have it my laptop screen is fading fast, could die any second and needs to be replaced. Please reach me at my alternate address of earthwerksguy@gmail.com

Thanks Murf ....

View my Photos
auerbach

2009-01-23          159771

For what little it's worth:

Farm auction: a new-looking leaf blower evidently designed for a front mount on something. I wanted a heavy blower, and I figured I'd be smart enough to convert it for my rear hitch. Just weld on a new hitch and fit a new driveshaft. Ha!

Had a long talk with some helpful people at the manufacturer. Conclusion: theoretically possible but hardly feasible.

Had it sold at the next auction there. Cost me a fair bit of money, a lot of time, and some pride. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2009-01-23          159772

Auer when say you wanted a blower--do mean for year 'round use or for blowing snow? You MIGHT be able to use it for snow IF you don't drive on it first--but then there's issue of it blowing back on you if you can't direct the flow.

I've seen some hellacious blowers on the rear used for blowing silage into silos or just blowing leaves---some 5 feet across. In fact a local tractor club has a stationary one they use to test (show off) their old belt-drives. I guess it acts like a dynomometer. Talk about NOISE!

Speaking of noise, that same club puts on a show every summer. Every year they invite a guy who has a 4-cylinder diesel with no exhaust manifold that runs constantly. "SO what", you say. Well this one is mounted on a 40', 4-axle drop-deck semi trailer, nearly 13' tall, has a flywheel 12' across with exhaust ports about 18" diameter. It came from a power station in the Upper Penninsula of Michigan. It can be heard about 1/4 mile away! POW-----POW-----POW--POW--POW. ....

View my Photos
PILOON
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2009-01-24          159780

Hi, I bought a front mount blower and converted it to rear usage as I wanted to keep FEL and front plow features.

Mine was a BERVAC and they used same unit as rear but added a 'underslung converter' that transfered power from rear PTO , reversed the rotation to drive the front mount.
This allows any 550 rpm blower to be front mounted!

I have available for sale (for pickup only)that conversion.
Very cheap!
Any handy guy could adapt this unit to most any tractor due to design. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2009-01-24          159784

Wow for a K-becker, you speak english well--jis' kidding (I'm part French-Canadian).

This convertor, can you post a price, photo, and the HP range it's designed to take? ....

View my Photos
auerbach

2009-01-24          159785

EW, "blower" in my case meant an air-fan leaf blower, to replace raking in the fall. Hadn't thought of it, but I'm sure it would blow snow away, especially if fluffy.

(Bought a leaf vac instead. Plastic flails stir debris into a vacuum fan that pulls them into a pair of hoppers. Honda 6.5 HP, tractor-towed. Made by Agrimetal in Quebec.) ....

View my Photos
PILOON

2009-01-24          159794

Heck first $100 will take it!:) pick-up only!;-)
North of Montreal.
PM me for photos. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2009-01-24          159795

Piloon, you need to activate your "private message", or just send them to me at earthwerksguy@gmail.com ....

View my Photos
PILOON

2009-01-24          159797

Re PM.s,
Done (I think) ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This