How to build a Front End Loader Snow Blade: Snowblowers / Snow Plows / Removal  -- Tractor Attachments Implements 3ph Discussion Forum and Review How to build a Front End Loader Snow Blade: Snowblowers / Snow Plows / Removal -- Tractor Attachments Implements 3ph Discussion Forum

discussion   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   photos   |   email   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index
New As Posted | Active Subjects

www.emerichsales.com - New & Used Equipment
          View Tractors For Sale!

Bernardsville Landscape Lighting
Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Snowblowers / Snow Plows / Removal Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 02-25-2008, 21:28 Post: 151679
buzzlight

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster
 How to build a Front End Loader Snow Blade

This may be ridiculous, but would it be possible to build a blade of some kind, that bolts on to the FEL to clear snow a little faster?
I currently use the 7' bucket and push until I can't push anymore, then scoop, backup, move somewhere else, dump, go back, do it again. and again. and again.
I am using a large tractor that is really NOT for snow clearing, but it is what I have! ( 1466 IH Farmall)
So I thought, I could get some steel, build a blade, or even by one, and mount it to the FEL, possibly on a pivot, and maybe an electronic actuator or else a manual angle adjust...
Can't afford to buy one, and don't have a 3PTH, so my options are limited. But scrap material is in abundance around my work ! Anyone ever done this?

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us | Technorati | Furl | Stumble This

02-26-2008, 08:39 Post: 151685
auerbach

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

No experience, just a guess. There must be a blade designed to attach to a bucket, though I've not seen one.

You could get the word out to the local snow-pushing community that you're in the market for a cast-off front blade (without the mounting hardware). Once you get one, you could fabricate a bracket that bolts firmly to the bucket. Mind you, some of these blades might be too wide and heavy for your tractor.

The other route would be to buy a blade designed for either front or rear mounting on a tractor and rework the mount.

02-26-2008, 10:59 Post: 151689
earthwrks

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Buzz I made one for my buddy's skid steer and one for mine. My buddy uses his strictly for snow plowing his business's driveway. I use mine to plow a mile long crushed stone private road. Both use older Western-brand 8' truck snow plows. The only thing that we used was the blade itself and the A-frame (my buddy kept the factory angle cylinders and controls them using his aux. control---I use a single 3"x8" hydraulic cylinder). My buddy kept the trip springs since he runs into curbs and cracks in the driveway; I made mine stiff or rigid since I will be using it to doze dirt and snow. His has no down pressure--mine does and I can get the front wheels of my 8,000 lb. machine off the ground. Don't go with down pressure!
I gave him his plow which I got for free; mine I found on Craigslist.com for $100 and the guy actually met me half way of the 50 mile trip and I gave him $10 for gas. I have since come across three other plows for $150 apiece. Most guys are going to V-plows so all they want is scrap value.

The mounting you need to do is really simple. I used 2" x 4" trailer spring hangers that were predrilled and bent which meant that all I did was weld them inside the skid steer bucket. Mine was a completely different setup: I use a dedicated mounting bracket that takes the place of the bucket---I have a hydraulically operated mounting bracket which means I can latch and go from inside the heated enclosed cab----a-h-h-h!. (Hooking up hydraulic lines takes a minute though).

You can use anything as brackets that you can run a bolt through to attach the plow A-frame, which is where it pivots upward. You could even bolt the brackets in place rather than welding them--I prefer welding.

How to set up for brackets: Set up the plow and A-frame on level ground using blocks or a floor jack in the same position it would be if mounted on a truck---basically the the A-frame would be level front-to-back and side-to-side. If it isn't level, when you pivot or angle the blade it will tend to lift on one end and dig in too far on the opposite end.

Next, with the help of someone to guide you, drive your tractor with the bucket just touching the ground under the A-frame ends and in as far as you can without hitting something---ideally the back of the bucket should be touching the ends of the A-frame. Slowy and carefully raise the bucket until it just touches the bottom of the A-frame. This where the bucket needs to be in relation to the A-frame. Temporarily install the brackets to the ends of the A-frame and mark where they need to be welded (the plow should be centered in the bucket too). Remove the brackets, drop the bucket, back out the tractor, and weld the brackets--and don't skimp on the welds. Repeat the mounting procedure, and fasten the A-frame bolts.

You're nearly done--just hook up the angling cylinders. Run one hose from each cylinder to a remote (use a rear one if you have nothing up front).

Keep in mind you can control the attack angle simply by raising the bucket and tilting it. Too much attack and you'll lift the front end, and or break something not to mention your neck.

You're ready now to plow!

I've shown the plow I made to several guys who plow and they may be having me make some for them for their skid steers.

02-26-2008, 11:03 Post: 151691
Murf

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

You mean like in my picture # 15?

02-26-2008, 11:53 Post: 151693
earthwrks

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Murf, mine's a combination of yours--the skid steer attach mostly. My buddy's floats like yours.

02-26-2008, 12:27 Post: 151694
Murf

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

We experimented a bit with a rigid mounting, but it doesn't work anywhere nearly as nice as the free-floating setup does.

A SSL doesn't need weight on the front end, or at least not nearly as much as a CUT does.

With a floating setup like mine all the weight of the FEL is still over the front wheels, you have far better steering and the tractor doesn't tend to get pushed around by the snow against the angled blade.

Best of luck.

02-26-2008, 14:40 Post: 151696
earthwrks

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

I agree Murf. With steel tracks like I have on it can be like having iceskates on.

02-26-2008, 16:36 Post: 151701
kthompson

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Buzz, look at the question on "Curits Power Angle" just posted. Seems he has about what you are asking about and asking question on it.kt

03-05-2008, 11:29 Post: 151930
NorthernMainer

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Dont want to ruffle any feathers on here but we have adaptors for JD to hook up from the QD FEL to a FISHER plow
for one of the nicest setup there is out there. There is a lot of used blades all over New England for $3-600 according to condition. For more info contact us at parkerguns@yahoo.com and to see one work on a 32 hp JD just go to YOUTUBE and type in "John Deere with Fisher Plow" and watch a short movie of how easy it is to move 2 ft of snow at 1700rpms????

Link:   Click Here 
Picture Link

03-05-2008, 13:45 Post: 151938
Murf

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Hmmmm....... that looks vaguely familiar. Wink yeah right

Picture Link

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Snowblowers / Snow Plows / Removal Forum

Thread 151679 Filter by Poster:
auerbach 4 | billtreat 4 | buzzlight 1 | earthwrks 6 | hardwood 1 | kthompson 3 | mgmmsp231 2 | Murf 18 | NorthernMainer 5 | otis311 1 | richdell 6 | richsoby 3 | Swift193 2 | WilliamBos 3 | Woodstacker 3 |

Most Viewed

+ How to build a Front End Loader Snow Blade
+ 3pt. Snowblower Brands??
+ 3 point snow blowers
+ McKee Snowblower Chute Operation
+ 3 pt to front mount
+ Front End Snowblower vs. 3 PH Rear Mounted Snowblo
+ Kubota B2782 snowblower 63 front mount
+ Garden tractor with snowblower???
+ Woods SB72 Snowblower
+ Front end loader snowblower?

Most Discussion

+ How to build a Front End Loade
+ 3pt. Snowblower Brands??
+ Survey How long is your drivew
+ Garden tractor with snowblower
+ Snow Plow on Tractor
+ Snow-plow
+ JD plow
+ top qualitysnowblowers ?
+ hydraulic snowblowers
+ JD 4300 snowblower attach

Newest Topics

+ Ready for Titan Snow with Loftness Rear Snow Blowe
+ 540 PTO speed too slow for snow blower
+ Survey How long is your driveway for snow removal?
+ Kubota B7500 used snowblower cost
+ kubota B7800, front end snow blower Hose Attachmen
+ Kubota B7610 BX2750 Snowblower Video
+ Show Your Snow Removal Equipment
+ snowblower
+ FORD 715A Snowblower operating speed
+ Snow blowing outfits