Go Bottom Go Bottom

Snowblowers - pin replacement

View my Photos
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-12-26          149629

I just broke a shear pin on a Kubota B/L2563 auger. I had this happen once before and had a very difficult time finding the hole/broken pin to drive it out and replace it. I am having a similar problem now.

Does anybody have any recommendations?

Thanks!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
candoarms
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-12-26          149642

I'm not familiar with the snowblower you have, but I have some experience replacing these broken shear pins.

While I know it won't do you any good this time, I have a helpful hint that might make things easier for you the next time a pin shears.

With the new shear pin installed, scribe a witness mark on the auger shaft and the mating drive end. When the pin shears off, you'll then be able to line up the witness marks and then drive the broken pin out.

You may have to rotate the drive end a small amount first, in order to drive out the broken shear pin.

This will save you lots of time and trouble in the future. It may even prevent you from being arrested for cursing aloud in public. hehehe.

Many blowers have as many as four different shear pins in them. All pins should have witness marks scribed on the mating pieces, making them easy to align.

Use a sharp knife,or awl. Scribe a line on both mating surfaces, while the shear pin is in place.

Hope that helps.

Joel ....

View my Photos

2007-12-27          149661

Great idea - I'll do that as soon as I find this one. ....

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-12-27          149691

Both augers have a shear pin. Line up the hole to the good shear pin and your shafts should be aligned. ....

View my Photos

2007-12-29          149714

I founs it - thanks for all of your help but my wife may have provided the best help. I found in my Christmas stocking this year something that probably helped me the most - a pair of reading glasses. I had probably been pushing this off too long. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login