Go Bottom Go Bottom

3pt Snowblower Brands

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-11-24          148690

Dreaming a bit about a 3pt. rear mount snowblower for the 4310. Stopped by the Deere dealer today, he sells Red Devil and Buhler. A 60 inch wide cut seems about right according to the literature from both company's. He had none in stock but has sold several Red Devil in larger sizes, but has never had a Buhler in stock. I did notice in the literature that the Rec Devil weighs 536 lbs. compared to 450 lbs. for the Buhler if that means anything. Anyone here have either brand? Frank.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

3pt Snowblower Brands

View my Photos
candoarms
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-11-24          148692

Hardwood,

Those Red Devil blowers are hard to beat. They use a heavy fan (flywheel material), and rarely ever plug up with snow, or bog down the tractor.

My neighbor has an 8' model on his big Deere. It blows snow about 40 yards, even with no wind. I don't know exactly how big that fan is, but it's HUGE. I'm guessing that it's about 45" in diameter. I've never seen anything like it.

Buhler makes a very good blower too though. It's rather hard to mess up such a simple tool, but I've seen some that I would never buy.

Stay away from the blowers that use small diameter (less than 18 inch) fans with only three blades. I can spit further than those things will blow snow.

If you can find a blower with a 20-24 inch fan with four blades, you've got yourself a real blower.

I'm not sure why there is so much difference in weight between the Red Devil and the Buhler. Were you comparing the same size machines? I find that rather odd. I know there would be some difference in the weight of the fans, but that much?

Joel ....

3pt Snowblower Brands

View my Photos
hardwood

2007-11-24          148695

Joel; Both 60 inch models. Red Devil, 4 blade 20in. fan, single 14in. auger
Buhler 3 blade,(4 blade optional) 22in. fan, single 15in. auger.
Don't know any prices yet, dealer to find out Monday.
Frank. ....

3pt Snowblower Brands

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-11-26          148738

Frank, don't know Jack about the Red Devil, but Buhler is a pretty big Canadian Ag company out of the Winnipeg area, they make decent stuff, sort of middle of the road for quality, there's better, but not many better ones for the same money.

As for weight, it depends on where the difference is located, if it's in the frame it doesn't do much good, it's a blower after all, not a plow.

Best of luck. ....

3pt Snowblower Brands

View my Photos
candoarms

2007-11-26          148740

Hardwood,

I've been babysitting my neighbor's dog and chickens while they were away for the Holiday. He came to pick up his dog this morning, so I asked him about his Red Devil blower.

He seems to think, going from memory, that his blower has a cutting edge on the bottom, much like a loader's bucket. Most blowers have a thin sheet metal across the bottom, with skid shoes to prevent wear. Apparently, Red Devil doesn't use skid shoes.....but have opted for a steel cutting edge, like grader blade, instead.

If this is also the case on the smaller Red Devil blowers, that would explain away most of the weight differences.

Joel ....

3pt Snowblower Brands

View my Photos
Murf

2007-11-26          148741

Generally speaking, a replaceable cutting edge is not even an option until you get into a bigger blower, 8+ feet or more in width, we're talking about a 5 footer here.

Bedsides which, if the cutting edge accounted for a 86 pound difference in a pair of 5 foot blowers that would mean the cutting edge weighed 17.2 pounds per foot.

What do they use for a cutting edge, a 8" I-beam?

Best of luck. ....

3pt Snowblower Brands

View my Photos
kleinchris

2007-11-26          148743

hardwood- what kind of price range for this snowblower, and is there a hp requirement? ....

3pt Snowblower Brands

View my Photos
harvey

2007-11-26          148749

Gotta add my $.02. I have a Pronovost 68" that I scrounged from Art a few years ago. It is commercial quality.

Big 4 blade fan, bolt on cutter, adjustable shoes... a very quality well built heavy duty machine.

I was hoping Art would weigh in on this discussion, me thinks he's probably sitting in the sun somewhere sipping on some kinda fruity drink...

Frank you can not go wrong with this Brand it is a tad pricey and they have a lighter brand called the Puma I think. Wait for Art to weigh in.

Harvey ....

3pt Snowblower Brands

View my Photos
Lwayne

2007-11-26          148750

I have a Farm King 740 (74") which is the sister of the Buehler. My Father in Law has the 96" double auger and has used different brands before he bought this one. He says his Farm King is far and away the best he's had. I'm not familiar with the Red Devil but I use mine on a 50 pto hp tractor and it does a great job. The hydro really stands out when blowing snow as you can go as slow as you want under full power. I paid $2,000 a little over a year ago but the dealer didn't check the then current price as he should have charged more he later told me. ....

3pt Snowblower Brands

View my Photos
hardwood

2007-11-26          148756

The 4310 is about 32-34 HP. I didn't get time to get back to the dealer today far as prices, so don't know. The 6 ft. box blade is on the tractor now, it sticks out about 10 inches past the rear wheels, that might be a better width for a blower than the five footer, just go slower. I used to have an International Harvester model 80 eight foot double auger on a 100 HP 1070 Case farm tractor till we sold the farm equipment, so I'm kinda spoiled by what a big blower can do. Thanks for all the input. Frank. ....

3pt Snowblower Brands

View my Photos
Lwayne

2007-11-26          148758

Clarification: My previous post stated that the Buhler and Farm King are sisters. I should have said the Allied and Farm King are sisters. They are both Buhlers. Note the difference in weight, though, between the 60" (450#) and the 74" (710#). 260#, or 58% more. Quite a difference for only 5" in height and 14" in length! ....

3pt Snowblower Brands

View my Photos
candoarms

2007-11-26          148759

LWayne,

It's a good night to be talking about snowblowers. We got about 2 inches of snow today, and the wind has picked up to about 30 mph from the Northwest. Current temp is 10 degrees below zero. I even don't want to know what the windchill is right now.

The snowblower is hooked up, but I'm not going out in this weather. The snow will be there waiting for me when the wind dies down. hehehe.

Joel ....

3pt Snowblower Brands

View my Photos
cutter

2007-11-27          148778

I have this brand and it does offer a bolt-on cutting edge for the smaller models. I can't remember exactly what I paid but I did get the shoes and hydraulic chute control which I would not be without.

Link:   Blower

3pt Snowblower Brands

View my Photos
candoarms

2007-11-27          148791

Cutter,

I watched the video at the link you posted. Those Loftness blowers appear to be made very well.

Thanks for the info.

Joel ....

3pt Snowblower Brands

View my Photos
cutter

2007-11-28          148794

Joel,

It is a real heavy hunk of steel for sure. ....

3pt Snowblower Brands

View my Photos
hardwood

2007-11-28          148796

Cutter; I just checked out the Loftness site, they look to be a good machine too. One of the differences I learned between the Red Devil and the Buhler is that the Buhler has an open gear drive on the smaller models compared to an oil bath on the Red devils. I don't know if that is a real negative or not, lots of older farm machines had open gears that ran for years. The Loftness factory is only about 15 miles off the route we travel to our Daughter just north of there, I don't know if factory pickup is an option or not, but freight isn't cheap either. Frank. ....

3pt Snowblower Brands

View my Photos
auerbach

2007-11-28          148804

You probably know all this, but if it's your first blower,

Should be wider than your tractor track (one tire-outside to the other) or in deep snow you'll have trouble turning.

Heavy helps traction but you might need front weights especially if no loader. If you do have one, you can fill it with snow for surer steering.

Use slip or graphite paint (sold to paint seed hoppers or coat the underside of mowers, etc) on the outflow path. Protects against stone nicks and deters jamming.

Make sure the control for the outflow chute direction falls easily to hand, and keep those moving parts lubricated -- you'll be moving it often.

If need more traction have most of the weight carried by the hitch, and slightly lower the tire pressure. ....

3pt Snowblower Brands

View my Photos
hardwood

2007-11-28          148821

auerbach; No, not my first. I used to have an eight foot double auger on a 100 HP. farm tractor with a Westendorf loader on the front, wasn't much that rig couldn't handle. Frank. ....

3pt Snowblower Brands

View my Photos
Art White

2007-11-29          148853

Just thought I'd throw some things here. Good blowers have a very close tolerence beween the fan and the housing, bad for stones. Good blower has four or more paddles depending on width and diameter. By good to bad I mean the distance the snow will be blown. Hardwood can possibly relate to this with forage blwoers; pass a dime toss a nickel! ....

3pt Snowblower Brands

View my Photos
hardwood

2007-11-30          148861

Art; The Uncle I refer to now and them always insisted on Allis Chalmers blowers. They had a good tight blower that you just couldn't plug. So far I've only gotten one dealer quote, Buhler 60 in. 2395. or a Buhler 74 in. 2995. Both with hydraulic chute, cyl, hoses. Would like to get quotes on a Red Devil and a Loftness before I pull the trigger. The Mrs. says hire the neighbor. At thirty dollars, (when I could get him to take any pay), per average snow that's like 80-100 snows, she does make a lot of sense on the subject. Frank. ....

3pt Snowblower Brands

View my Photos
cutter

2007-11-30          148865

Over the years I would have saved a ton of money hiring the snow removal rather than swapping equipment regularly to feed the machine addiction.

One thing that keeps me doing my own is that every spring it takes only a bit of raking on the edge of the driveway to put the stones back in place from my cleaning. But then I see other folks that have their sod plowed up onto the front porch. Sometimes by their own doing and other times by the plow jockeys. If you spread that over a 500' driveway like mine, that is a bunch of spring cleaning :) that I don't care to deal with.

3pt Snowblower Brands

View my Photos
candoarms

2007-11-30          148868

Frank,

I can hire my driveway blowing work done for about 30 dollars. It doesn't make much sense to spend the money on a new blower, at custom rates this low. However, as I've discovered over the years, I have to be very patient and I don't always get the job done in a timely fashion.

Is it worth 3000 dollars to have the convenience of getting the driveway cleaned as soon as it needs to be done? Well......no.....it isn't. However, when I found a blower at a local auction for peanuts, I couldn't pass it up.

In most parts of the country, snowblowers see very few hours of use. A used machine, even 10 years old, may be found in like-new condition. This is the route I chose to take, and it has more than paid off for me.

Consider purchasing a used machine. It's not nearly as painful to the wallet, and the convenience of having the work done, on time, is well worth the expense.

Cutter,

I agree. There are some people who just don't care about the lawn, the young trees, or even about your walking path to the dumpster. It's hard to complain about the price, but....but.....but. You know what I mean?

Joel ....

3pt Snowblower Brands

View my Photos
harvey

2007-11-30          148885

This thread seems to have changed into justifying the cost.

IMHO I do not care what the attachment costs. If I can do what I wanna do when I wanna do it is worth a lot to me. If I want my drive way done now it's done now. I do not wait very well for someone to do it for me.

As long as I am not invalid (yes spelled the way I want) I will do it my self if I have the ability. I still can't build a watch...

Frank you ain't taking a dime with you. Me I'm gonna let the kids fight over the toys. Buy what you want. Just be careful about dragging some tender young lady home and asking your wife if you can keep her... ....

3pt Snowblower Brands

View my Photos
Woodie

2007-12-01          148891

The first winter in our new home i seen in the distance a big tractor with one of the 'monster snowblower units'(double auger etc) cleaning out peoples drives. I was getting dressed to go out and use my 8hp Toro. Before i knew it that tractor was coming down my 500ft drive. I was like " dang-how much is this going to cost me!" I got out and met the gentleman he said "welcome to the area" and I'm "thank you and okay how much'? he said "nothing-winter is his playtime and has to give his toys a workout". Found out he did about "2 country blocks" for many years. He lved the next country block north of me. Many times we would come home from work and find the drive cleared. Itwas nice and did a great job and no problems in spring with stone etc. Problem was I wanted to "play in the snow too" and just didn't feel right about 'imposing' and getting use to expecting it. He didn't ever want anything in return or money for the fuel. I found a used Woods unit in the local weekly paper used one winter for $900 nearly new condition. has been a good unit except the skid shoes are a bit narrow, will be modifying them. ....

3pt Snowblower Brands

View my Photos
hardwood

2007-12-01          148893

Got prices on the Red Devil today from same dealer who priced me the Buhler's. Same size machines equiped the same. 60 in Red devil 3150. 60 in Buhler 2395. 72 in Red Devil 3450, 74 in. Buhler 2995. More or less decided to hire it done for now and wait for a used one to come along. I doubt that my not purchasing a snowblower will cause an economic recession, but that's just too much money for a little bitty snaowblower. I bought a 500 ft. roll of # 12 stranded wire yeaterday at Menards for 60 dollars, two months ago I paid 50. Wow, where does it all stop? ....

3pt Snowblower Brands

View my Photos
candoarms

2007-12-02          148894

Frank,

Look for something along the lines of this.

New, Never used, Kubota B2781, 3-point, Snowblower.

Sold at auction for $1250.00

Joel ....

Link:   Proxibid October 2007 Starting with Lot 204

Picture Link
Snowblowers / Snow Plows  3pt  Snowblower Brands

3pt Snowblower Brands

View my Photos
hardwood

2007-12-03          148911

Thanks Joel, that's more like it. I'm sure that this time of year isn't the best for finding a bargan in a snowblower, so I'll wait till spring to go looking. We had a mix of mostly freezing rain Saturday that coated our crushed rock drive and parking aeria with about an inch of pure ice. I did something that maybe isn't recommended by the builders of box blades, but I lowered the scarifier teeth to their most exposed setting, pulled it up and down the drive a few times and ended up with a mix of crumbled ice and about the right amount of crushed rock. I gave the box blade a good look over after I finished and it looked just fine. Frank. ....

3pt Snowblower Brands

View my Photos
crunch

2010-02-24          168789

Today I ended up plowing out myself and 2 neighbors using my bucket in float mode on blacktop driveways. I don't need a blade or snowblower for myself. But if I am going to end up plowing the neighbors out I would sure like to get it done quick so I can get to back to the work which makes me money.

I can't justify the cost of anything new so I guess I will try to find something used. I question the snow plow route because then I need chains which scratch up blacktop driveways. I guess that leaves snowblowers, but it takes a while to find anything used in the area. ....

3pt Snowblower Brands

View my Photos
cutter

2010-02-24          168790

Crunch,

One of my neighbors always has snow plows for sale. He currently has what looks to be the truck mount and pump from a Western unit. A month ago he had three complete blades and a couple of units. Scavenges them from here and there and sells for pen money. Also has a blade with long mounting arms, probably off an old tractor. Murf developed a good mounting system you can make for the conversion. ....

3pt Snowblower Brands

View my Photos
hardwood

2010-02-25          168791

Crunch;
Before we sold the farm equipmenT I had a 1070 Case-100 hp. with an 8 ft. blower on the three pt. and a Westendorf loader on the front, it didn't take long to move snow with that outfit. I did quite a few country neighbors when a bad one came but not in town. People would say "Well I sure didn't remember that, (whatever I ran thru the blower) being there. I ran plenty of things of my own thru it too.
If you are in an in town situation I'm not sure I'd want the risk of a blower sending a rock or whatever thru a window, or smacking a car, etc.
All that said I haven't answered your questuion about what kind of blower for your 4310. I wanted one for my 4310 too till I found out what a new one cost and used ones just don't seem to come around that often. I've never saw a 4310 sized three point one operate and haven't found a dealer nearby that stocks new ones, but they can order from a catalog.
I can't remember the brand but a new one listed for roughly 3250.00, that dulled my desire for one.
I just keep the box blade on the back for a counterweight and to rip loose stubborn ice and have a 73 in. bucket for the 4310 and get along pretty good without chains, but my time isn't of much value either. Frank.

3pt Snowblower Brands

View my Photos
crunch

2010-02-25          168794

Thanks cutter and hardwood. I hadn't thought about rocks and snowblowers. I think you are right about used plows. I can pick one up cheap. Maybe it will give me an excuse to learn how to weld! ....

3pt Snowblower Brands

View my Photos
treeman

2010-12-06          175565

I just bought a nice used Lorenz 60" blower. It has a 24" impeller and double augers. The augers have paddle blades on them instead of the normal spiral auger. I've heard that the blades will break up stiff stuff better. It weighs about 500lbs. ....

Link:   Lorenz snow blowers

3pt Snowblower Brands

View my Photos
candoarms

2010-12-06          175568

Treeman,

Well, if I was to go out and buy a new snowblower, that's exactly what I would have bought.

I like the Lorenz blowers better than any others I've seen, and they give you a whole lot of nice features for the money.

Congratulations. Stop in and let us know how you like it. I'm anxious to hear your feedback.

Thank you.

Joel ....

3pt Snowblower Brands

View my Photos
treeman

2010-12-06          175575

The good thing was I only had to pay a grand for it. I want to try it soon but we have had only one snow and it was about 5" worth. ....

3pt Snowblower Brands

View my Photos
treeman

2010-12-12          175713

I tried my Lorenz blower out today. The neighbor had drifts about 3ft tall to play with. I have a NH tc33d and the tractor handled it good. YES, a blower eats horse power! With the HST I could creep as slow as I wanted. The blower would blow the snow over his garage as the wind is so strong and I had to go with it. It never plugged or broke shear pins. I even blew through a big pile from me plowing. Just go slow and it eats through it. ....

3pt Snowblower Brands

View my Photos
cutter

2010-12-13          175756

Good deal, sounds as though the double augers are worth looking for. I did not use mine last year but if the winter keeps going as it has I may mount it soon. Don't like losing my back blade but you can't have it all I guess.

Hope you have a heated cab, can't imagine using one without it. ....

3pt Snowblower Brands

View my Photos
treeman

2010-12-13          175759

I grew up using a back blade on a ford 8n and I still use one today for most of my snow removal. For light snows, I won't even get the blower out. With 2ft or more of heavy snow, I think I'll blow first then clean up with the blade. The neighbor took a picture of me blowing the snow but not sure if I can post it here. ???? ....

3pt Snowblower Brands

View my Photos
goodolriver

2010-12-16          175786

Hey there all, I thought I would add my 2 cents:

I just bought a Buhler/Farm king Y500 3pt 50" snow blower for my Kubota B7500, 21HP diesel CUT. This piece of equipment is great! I had it on and running in less than 2 hours (getting it off the back of the pickup was fun...).

For anyone with a Kubota this is a great blower because of the adjustable 3pt arms on the blower itself. I had a good conversation with the Kubota dealer about this, and it's funny how no one mentions to the uninitiated that yes a Cat 1 will fit on all Cat 1s but you have to watch the length of the PTO shaft. In some instances, you have to cut the PTO shaft because the 3pt arms on the smaller Kubotas are shorter (unless you have a quick hitch system which would add length) but no one tells you this.

The Farmking has 4 adjustable slots, so no cutting required!

Happy snow blowing! ....

3pt Snowblower Brands

View my Photos
kthompson

2010-12-16          175787

goodolriver, yes it can be rather humorous what we are not told yet wonder if it is because we don't want to admit our ignorance or we working with sales person who is? Last week heard extreme opposite. Was in a big store at the ammo and a lady with list in hand was standing in front of ammo and the clerk ask could he help. Great deal. By the time he got through telling her what the difference in the bullet weight and size of shot in shotgun shells and the the grams of powder she just roll on, having all kind of info rolling around in her head as she pushed her empty buggy. ....

3pt Snowblower Brands

View my Photos
candoarms

2010-12-17          175824

Treeman,

I just placed an order for a new lorenz blower. I need a narrow one for blowing sidewalks, so I ordered the Lorenz model 430.

Here's a list of the specs:

Model 430 Lorenz
Double augers (paddles)
26" fan
8" fan depth
Manual chute rotation. (No cab on my little Kubota)
Manual Deflector
Augers are driven with a #50 chain.
adjustable Skid Shoes
Rated for 20-40 horse tractors
Weighs 430 pounds.....if I remember correctly.

It should be here in time for Chirstmas. It's a gift from my wife.

I'll let you know how it works.

Joel ....

3pt Snowblower Brands

View my Photos
lencamp

2010-12-26          175958

I have a Lorenz 630 for my TC33D. After searching the web and finding lots of blowers it was the only one with choppers on the augers. I wanted that to cut through the hard stuff banked up by my old plow truck. It works great on our 1 mile long gravel road throwing potato sized rocks and breaking shear pins. Stocked up on shear pins - common 1/4-20 bolts. Replaced the auger sprockets after 3 seasons - had some welding done on the choppers also. Gravel is pretty abusive but it stands up to it.

It takes a lot of power and fuel to run at high RPM. When I get into the plowed banks tall as the blower I taks a 1/2 cut slowly in 1st gear (hydro). Virgin snow I can tear through in 2nd no problem.

Auger drive chain is 50H - H for heavy - not plain 50. It's a bit of an oddball - you won't find it at Tractor Supply. Had to go to an industrial supply for master links and they had to get them from their Chicago warehouse.

My other complaint is the breather on the gear box lets water in. Replaced it with a real waterproof breather. You have to stand the unit on end to drain the old lube but it's not a big deal using the loader. ....

3pt Snowblower Brands

View my Photos
hardwood

2010-12-26          175959

The IHC # 80 eight ft. blower I used to have used stainless steel roller chain. It never got rusty and kinky. Fertilizer applicator supply places keep stainless chain, it's not cheap, but it doesn't rust.
Frank. ....

3pt Snowblower Brands

View my Photos
lencamp

2010-12-27          175960

I spray the chain while idling with chain lube after each use - keeps it nice and slimy between use. I've seen stainless chain and chain with seals on the links - good stuff but twice as expensive. It's about $100 to replace the (6' approx) standard 50H chain on my unit.

My plan is to replace it after this (4th) season while it's still useable as an emergency spare. Choked out $80 for 2 auger sprockets and an idler this year.

BTW the folks at Lorenz are very nice on the phone - you might check out Lorenz.com to see what they've got. ....

3pt Snowblower Brands

View my Photos
road3e

2014-06-26          190537

I'm looking at buying a 74" Farm King 740 snowblower. My tractor is an Allis Chalmers 170, 54 hp, and around 76" wide, but with a hi-lo range manual transmission. I'm thinking a 74" snowblower would be a bit easier to eat up snow because of my reverse not being as slow as I'd want it to be. Do you see any problems buying a snowblower that is a bit narrower than the width of the rear tires? Any thoughts?
Thanks
Andrew ....

3pt Snowblower Brands

View my Photos
crunch

2014-06-27          190544

I wouldn't think 2" would make much of a difference. But I imagine it could be a annoyance with snow falling in from the sides or when trying to make sharp turns if you are in deep snow. ....

3pt Snowblower Brands

View my Photos
candoarms

2014-06-28          190559

Road3e,

A narrow blower will cause you some problems. As you move in reverse, your tires will begin to climb over the snow you were not able to blow from behind them. You'll find that this will cause the blower's cutting edge to also climb.

It's always better to have a blower that is at least as wide as your tractor. To compensate for the speed problem, simply take smaller cuts.....half passes......allowing the blower to handle the amount of snow being fed in with higher ground speeds.

Hope this helps.

Joel ....

3pt Snowblower Brands

View my Photos
Lwayne

2014-06-28          190561

If I ever buy another snow blower I'll strongly consider the Erskine rear pulls. We had one 40 years ago and I can't remember a drift we couldn't handle. High drifts you can back into or drive beside and turn away to angle in. A lot easier on the neck. A little pricey, but very nice to use. Driving over the snow doesn't seem to matter as the weight is there to skim down close enough. Either that or something loader mounted. The Farm King 740 works great except for the pain in the neck. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login