Go Bottom Go Bottom

Rear mount snowblower use question

View my Photos
MacDaddy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-10-07          117510

I will be using a rear-mounted blower on my JD4310 for the first time this winter. I am wondering what the standard method is for using the blower with regard to the rear control arms. Are you supposed to let the blower "float" on the driveway, or keep it up a bit. I have a gravel, and stone drive, and want to minimize the abount of stone I donate to my lawn. It seems by keeping it up a bit, it will help with the stone issue while also weighting the rear wheels for better traction. Is my thinking correct on this?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-10-07          117511

You do let it float on the 3pth, but there should be adjustable skidplates at the bottom of both sides which will keep the rear edge up enough to clear the bulk of the gravel when adjusted properly.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
MacDaddy

2005-10-07          117513

There are no skid plates... nor are their pre-drilled holes for mounting skid plates on the ends of the blower.(?) ....

View my Photos
Iowafun

2005-10-07          117517

Uh oh. Do you have a brand/manufacturer and possibly a model number? That greatly helps out the other members with giving you advice. But that's the first blower I've heard of without skids. ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2005-10-07          117519

I found that when I had a 3/8 gravel drive I used to set it up a bit until I got some ice pack so the gravel hardened. Then I could let it float with the skids in a high position.

Does not take much to break a shear pin with stone. Make sure you have a supply before winter.

Dennis ....

View my Photos
Murf

2005-10-07          117522

OK, I presume you are talking about the Agro Trend blower in your profile.

Now I understand. Agro Trend is a 'price point' blower with fixed skid shoes. More expnsive machines have adjustable skid shoes.

If you look at the page linked to below you can just make out, at the bottom of each side of the blower case, a bolted on skid shoe or runner, which is adjustable and which in turn adjusts how far up the cutting edge is off the ground.

In your case the only real option then is to slightly lengthen the upper link of the 3pth, this will cause the blower to be tipped slightly over onto the front of the skid shoes and therefore lift the rear up a little.

If you were really ambitious and a little handy you can easily amke up a set of skidshoes out of some reinforced angle iron with slots or holes drilled through the casing to mount them.

Best of luck. ....

Link:   Normand Snow Blower

View my Photos
harvey

2005-10-07          117532

If you shorten the top link it will keep the cutting edge out of the gravel. After freeze up lenghten it out and let the edge cut some.

It's nice to have some good hard pac B4 you get the cutting edge agressive.

EDIT: This says opposite of Murf. I'm going by the 2 I've owned. I am not up to speed on yours so Murf may be right. Try it on a flat hard surface so you can see the difference. ....

View my Photos
cutter

2005-10-22          118293

I would tend to agree with shortening the link. I just bought a JRW with hydraulic rotator and adjustable shoes for around $2500.00. Not sure if that was a stellar deal but in searching around it seems pretty consistent.

Problem I have is the lane to my barn is humped in the middle, stones are definitely going to be a problem so I will use the loader unless sheer volume becomes an issue. That is the nice part of the rear mount, we still have a loader. ....

View my Photos
harvey

2005-10-23          118297

I also use the loader just to make a couple of paths for the morning traffic to get thru. I have always liked the back blade as first choice then blow the banks back.

Seems like last couple of years the blower is first choice.

On the high crown I'd raise the outside edge of blower and let the inside just touch the crown making 2 passes it gets me just over 10' wide for the bulk of the drive.

I always try to start the season with anything but the blower. ....

View my Photos
cutter

2005-10-23          118303

Kind of what I was thinking Harvey. Even with the Curtis loader blade (I sold) I always have to let the base build and freeze prior to scraping.

My truck plow used to send the stones all over the place too, another reason I don't use one any longer. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2005-10-24          118358

Harvey, Cutter, either lengthening or shortening will do the same thing, get the cutting edge up off the ground.

It's one of those personal preference deals I guess.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
cutter

2005-10-24          118374

The adjustable shoes were an option on mine, the stock ones are fixed. I ordered the adjustable and am awaiting their arrival.

Should be an additional benefit shouldn't it Murf? ....

View my Photos
Art White

2005-10-24          118385

Murf there are some of the cheaper unit's out there that don't offer sides's past the augers! They are a safety problem as well as won't handle lengthening the top link. Those unit's are a top link shortening only! ....

View my Photos
Murf

2005-10-25          118403

As Art states, there are some "price point" units out there that are very different in their construction so as to save as much on material as possible.

I'm a big fan of having as many adjustments available as possible. The manufacturer can't be sure of where the product will be used, neither can the purchaser.

Art, I've never seen a blower with sides that short, it certainly does sound like a tragic accident just waiting for a time & place to happen.

I will have to scrounge around in my old photographs, somewhere I've got a picture of a car after the owner backed into it with the blower. The blower was running at the time.

Plastic body panels may be "dent resistant" but they sure don't stand up to blowers very well. Especially in the bitter cold.

Best of luck. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login