Go Bottom Go Bottom

Is a Curtis FEL mounted snow blade worth it

View my Photos
jdgreg
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-10-03          117285

While I'm in the process of getting new toys for my JD 4210, I'm looking very seriously at a Curtis FEL snow blade. I've been using FEL bucket and rear blade for clearing pushing snow for the last 18+ yrs, so I'm pretty good at using this combo. I have lower back issues, and not looking forward to sitting sideways a lot while using the rear blade. The JD QD bucket makes the Curtis very attractive, in that I can quickly switch between the two if I need to. If i get one, it'll be the power angle, as I already have a Fasse valve setup for my bucket grapple. Our yearly snow fall averages around 25" year, but we can get some deep snowfalls. I have about 700' of my driveway, and another 400' of common driveway, plus helping my neighbors. So I'm wondering if the Curtis setup is worth the $$$$. Where is the best place to buy them, besides the dealer?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-10-03          117288

I didn't think the Curtis setup was worth the $$$ to me.

It is a first class setup, no doubt, but a spendy one.

I just mounted a regular pickup blade on the FEL, see my picture # 15, and use it instead.

Even if you have no fabricating ability whatsoever, you should be able to have one of these setups made for you for way less than half of a Curtis blade.

It will also be far more rugged since it is designed for use on a truck not a CUT.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-10-03          117291

If you do decide on a Curtis type of setup you might also look at blades by borgford dot com. I have no experience with their blades but they generally make top notch stuff and it might be cheaper than Curtis. ....

View my Photos
jdgreg
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-10-03          117294

Thanks for the input guys. Murf, I like your setup, if I can pick a truck blde up relatively good price, I may go that route. In the mean time, I've sent emails to Kasco and Borgford req info. ....

View my Photos
cutter

2005-10-08          117592

I would not recommend the loader blade. The Curtis is way overpriced for what you get, so as Murf indicates build your own if you need one. I sold mine for several hundred less than I paid for it after little use. I now use just the loader and rear blade.

I found several things about a loader blade I do not like. It stresses the loader arms, digs into a stone driveway like crazy, if you use the float feature very little load causes the front wheels to loose steering capability,limits your ability to push the tractor out of a hole as well as placing a great deal of weight on the loader at all times.

If you want to spend money, but a three point blower. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login