Go Bottom Go Bottom

2750 shear bolt issue

View my Photos
Paul_M
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-03-12          107842

This morning I pushed the lower side of the box into the rotary blade and naturally the shear pin broke. I beat the side of the box back into a position where the blade would rotate again. Now I can't find the hole in the drive shaft to replace the shear bolt. I slide and rotate the blade about 1 1/4" on the drive shaft repeatedly and can't even see the edge of a hole. I have replaced the shear bolts before so it's not like this is the first time. The drive shaft will rotate under power or by hand and nothing appears bound indicating a misalingment.

Does anyone have any input? Thanks.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

2750 shear bolt issue

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-03-12          107871

measure the other side from the wall to the shear pin hole. ....

2750 shear bolt issue

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-03-14          107985

Paul, usually when you snap the shear bolt off you won't see the hole again, because it will be full.

The shear bolt snaps into 3 peices, the head, the threads and bolt, and the center section that was in the middle through the shaft itself.

Often the simplest way to do it is to pull the driveshaft cear of the input shaft and look for the peice of bolt, then use a small punch to drive it out, then slip it back together, roughly in line, and then use a drift to line up the holes.

Best of luck. ....

2750 shear bolt issue

View my Photos
Paul_M

2005-03-14          107997

Thanks guys. I guess I must have lucky in that the other times the middle section came out of the shaft. I'll look again. ....

2750 shear bolt issue

View my Photos
mechanic1

2005-03-14          108004

Paul M, You will probably have to pull the driveshaft off the tractor and look closely. I had the same thing happen on my PUMA 64 blower. First of all, I bought mine from the dealer with my tractor (2615) I didn't get 10" into the first snow and broke a shear pin. To make a long story short I broke 4 shear pins within 100', mine came with the wrong shear pins from the factory and I was replacing them with the same grade as what came out. The grade hardness was too low. I E-mailed the mfg. and told them the problem, They E-mailed back with the proper size and grade hardness info. Have not had a break since. I think your pin may have sheared and when the shaft continued to turn it smoothed off the broken pin which is probably still in the hole and you can't see it. Hope this helps.
George ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login