Go Bottom Go Bottom

JD plow

View my Photos
steve4300
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-01-05          103578

Does anyone know of a kit or made thier own kit to mount a snowplow directly to the frame of a John Deere 4300 year 2001. I don't want to use the curtis attachment or attach to the bucket. I don't trust using the loader arms.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

JD plow

View my Photos
MIFarmin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-01-05          103581

I bought the JD model 74 front blade which mounts to the frame and uses the front hydraulics. I'm real happy with it on my JD4310. ....

JD plow

View my Photos
grassgod
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-01-05          103587

why dont you trust your loader arms? I use my loader arms for plowing & it's really nice because I can stack & put snow as high as the loader will lift & has lots of power. The laoder is also quick with raising & lowering. ....

JD plow

View my Photos
steve4300

2005-01-05          103592

i bought this tractor new and sense then the front loader arms seem to a little loose where they mount to the tractor. i have plowed with this machine using the bucket for 4 years and i would just feel better with it mounted to the frame. The plow i bought is a 8 ft. fisher. I might think different and find a lighter plow. just tired plowing with the bucket. ....

JD plow

View my Photos
steve4300

2005-01-06          103707

do you have any pithers of how you plow attaches to your frame, I can't find any on line ....

JD plow

View my Photos
grassgod

2005-01-07          103753

sure...i have to run out right now. I will try to post a pic of my plow tonight around 6 pm. If I dont end up having the time to do it tonight, I will do it Monday night when I return from Maine. Going Snowmobiling..YEEHAA! ....

JD plow

View my Photos
bmlekki

2005-01-07          103755

What are your thoughts/reasons for not using the FEL? I had planned to use my blower, but my drive is so step i have to scrap down to the snow all the time..

Just wondering if I'm missing something with using the loaders bucket. It does a really nice job. ....

JD plow

View my Photos
Murf

2005-01-07          103757

I'll try and get a picture of my loader mount posted also. Darned camera is dead and it will likely be past sunset before it's charged up again.

The bucket does work quite well, especially with a Murphy Pipe on the bucket.

The only thing you have to be very careful of when using a FEL and the bucket for snow removal is there is nothing to absorb shock loads if the bucket edge catches something. My pipe idea gives it a smoother rounded edge less likely to snag, and a snow blade has a spring trip mechanism.

Best of luck. ....

JD plow

View my Photos
steve4300

2005-01-07          103773

I have a gravel driveway that seems to grow rocks and like muff pointed out the bucket has no shockassorbers. Maybe I am getting old because they are starting to hurt. I am going to try the muff pipe and if that works ,i might not even try the plow. After a few storms though it is not as bad , either the rocks leave or the driveway builds up a good base to cover the rocks. oh by the way no fair going to Maine snowmobiling. ....

JD plow

View my Photos
DRankin

2005-01-07          103781

Be nice to my friend. His name is Murf. ....

JD plow

View my Photos
steve4300

2005-01-07          103784

sorry, i wasn't trying to be mean just spelled it wrong ....

JD plow

View my Photos
DRankin

2005-01-07          103794

We had a nutcase poster, and a serious a$$hole, a while back who called him muff..... and called others worse.

I guess it is still an unresolved issue with me.

Sorry I jumped on you. ....

JD plow

View my Photos
grassgod

2005-01-10          103887

steve4300 - ok - I posted 2 pics for you. Sorry the are kinda small, I dont know how to enlargen them ;(. So pic 5 & 6 is my plow. I took an old 7' meyers plow & welded a crossbar & some angle iron to it then welded a bobcat skid plate to that. It works well. Yes the trip springs are a priceless feature. the best part is the whole thing cost me under $500. I bought the blade used had the angle & square tube stock laying around. The bobcat plate which connects to my quick attach buchet was $135. Hydraulic hoses & fittings were about $80. I have an etra 7.5' blade laying around if ya want it. With some thought & a welder you can create anything. I would let it go for a few hundred. Its in mint shape.
Hope I helped. ....

JD plow

View my Photos
Murf

2005-01-10          103917

Thanks for the defense DR I trust you missed the big snow storm, or did you have rush the pipe through the design & development departments and straight into production ?

If you look at my updated pic. # 15 you can see how I mounted a snowplow onto the same bracket I use to also accomodate a set of forks (picture # 18 also) and a trailer ball or anything else that fits into a 2" square receiver, including a 3pth adapter to allow implements to be FEL-mounted.

The base plate is a home-made version, similar to commercially available units but stronger to reduce sideways stress on the FEL arms.

Best of luck. ....

JD plow

View my Photos
grassgod

2005-01-10          103920

Murf meister - Does that chain you have on there support any weight of the plow or is it a safety type chain? What size does is that blade? Looks like a 7' er like mine. ....

JD plow

View my Photos
Murf

2005-01-10          103922

The chain has the exact same function as it does on the older style truck plows, it carries the plow when lifted, but allows the blade to float freely when plowing.

I have tried rigidly mounted plows like yours in the past but IMHO it put too much of the FEL's weight on the plow. That is OK if you are mounting to a SSL, but on a CUT it throws too much weight forward onto the blade. The way mine is set up when I am plowing all the weight of the FEL is on the front wheels, this adds tremendously to their traction, the only weight on the blade is the blade itself, just like when it is on a truck.

It is a 7.5' Meyers off a truck that was stolen from me many years back, being summer the blade was in the yard. It became my test subject that fall and still is.

Best of luck. ....

JD plow

View my Photos
steve4300

2005-01-10          103926

thanks guys, thinking of going with murfs way only because i am going to make a set of forks. I am going to try to shorten up the frame can shorten it up almost a foot. thanks for the good pichures and great ideas, I am glad I joined this form. Now for the next question where does the hydrolics hook in. I don't want to use the bucket hydrolics if i can help it. Also how to you post pichures on here. ....

JD plow

View my Photos
DRankin

2005-01-10          103927

Hey Murf..... We are right in the middle of the "big dump", at least by local standards. This would be just an average storm in Anchorage.

I couldn't get all my poo in one sock, so I am plowing with what I got: a 54 inch front blade on the 4115.

It's working ok.... especially since I cobbled up some bigger skid shoes for it. There is way more snow to move than this blade is designed for, so I have to take it off in layers and making multiple passes.

I think I am going to adapt your idea and use a 2" pipe as an adjustable skid bar behind the blade (in lieu of skid shoes), as I am having lots of trouble gouging the gravel driveway.

Whoops. It just started snowing again. Looks like I will have to put off re-inventing the wheel for now. We are supposed to get a foot of snow in the next 24 hours down here in the valley. The mountains west of us are going to get another 5 feet or more.

Later............. ....

JD plow

View my Photos
grassgod

2005-01-10          103951

Murf - Its hard to see but it doesnt appear that there is a hydraulic cylinder attached to the end of the chain so how does the chain lift the blade? ....

JD plow

View my Photos
Murf

2005-01-11          103987

Steve, unless there is a real good reason to do so, there is no need to shorten the plow frame any. On this setup I have two long nies made up and merely ran them back along the loader arms and around the cab and they are hooked to one of the two sets of remotes. On others I have done I put a 'T' fitting inline to the curl cylinders and a remote outlet. Then I make up a brace to bridge the curl cylinders lock them in the fully retracted position.

Mark, you get all the fun man, sheesh, all I have in the forecast of any interest is a thunderstorms and highs of about 50° F. for Wednesday and Thursday. I think it's me that needs the squeegie.

Grassy, did you a little get too much 2-stroke fumes sledding this weekend? LOL. How do I lift the blade with just a chain?

Ummmm, the chain and the blade are hooked to the FEL remember? ....

Best of luck. ....

JD plow

View my Photos
grassgod

2005-01-11          103997

i do understand the concept i guess i just dont understand how the 2" reciever lets it rotate...seems like it would almost be ridgid also. A for the 2 stroke fumes...yeah I think they have impaired me. Do you find that the blade bounces alot when your traveling with the blade up? ....

JD plow

View my Photos
Murf

2005-01-11          103999

Grassy, just pullin' your leg a little.

It's tough to see in the picture but where the stock plow frame connects to a truck there is of course large holes through which a large pin, 1.25" maybe, goes on each side.

On mine I made a 2" x 2" crossbar with a pair of tabs on each side. A 1/2" Grade 5 bolt goes through the tabs and traps the plow frame in the middle. The combination of the larger holes in the plow frame (~1.25") and the 1/2" bolt means there is actuially a considerable amount of room for the plow to swivel up & down in the frame.

The chain restricts the downward swivel to about the amount you would have on a pickup, after that it gets picked up. I run the FEL with the bucket curl cylinders in the fully retracted position, to raise the blade I use the FEL's boom lift function.

The one really nice part about this setup, is the ability to adjust the angle of 'attack' on the blade. This blade has a back-dragging edge so because I can effectively change the height of what would normally be the truck's mount, I can pivot the blade front to back on it's cutting edges (front or rear) also. If I want to scrape slush or hard-pack, I can raise the FEL slightly, rocking the blade into a more nose-down attitude. Conversely, when I want to clean the gravel area around the shop, or plow or just push snow out over the grass for stacking room, I put the FEL down slightly rocking the blade back onto the rear edge and raising the front edge clear of the ground. This leaves justa little snow behind and wont scalp the grass or gather gravel up in front of the blade.

Best of luck. ....

JD plow

View my Photos
grassgod

2005-01-11          104019

Now that makes alot more sence & a nice set up. I couldnt see the pins from the pic. For the applicationa i am using my fel plow, I like the ridgid style because i do 80% backblading with it & its nice to have down pressure rather then just the wieght of the plow as your down pressure. I will say though when i am plowing forward I do loose a little traction unless i pick up the blade a little. But usually I plow in float. ....

JD plow

View my Photos
Murf

2005-01-11          104020

When we are doing locations where a lot of back-dragging is required, mostly condo's where you have to plow around parked cars, we use a box blade on the 3pth.

This gives us traction in the up position, and the snow doesn't spill out off the sides like it does with a straight blade.

Best of luck. ....

JD plow

View my Photos
grassgod

2005-01-11          104022

thats a very good idea. I would be a little nervous of loose of traction though as the boxblades dont wieght much. I would probably want a 72" box blade. I need to look for a used one. ....

JD plow

View my Photos
MIFarmin

2005-01-11          104032

Gheeesh, I did pay the price, $2200, but all I had to do was hook up and start plowing. ....

JD plow

View my Photos
grassgod

2005-01-11          104035

I built mine in October when things were settling down a bit. took me about 5 hours to complete the plow project. The time i spent was well worth the $1600.00 savings. ....

JD plow

View my Photos
Murf

2005-01-12          104060

Our 72" Bush Hog brand box blade weigh about 1,000 pounds so loosing traction is not much of an issue for us.

Even when they are in use we rarely set them completely down anyway, if you leave most of the weight on the 3pth and have the cutting edge just tickle the surface they perform far better, all year-round.

Even if you bought a standard pickup-type blade and paid a welding shop to do the fabricating I doubt you would spend half of $2,200.00 on it and IMHO you would have a far superior, stronger blade.

Best of luck.

JD plow

View my Photos
1timefarmer

2005-01-13          104144

MURF:

Could you post a picture of the pipe you mention for the FEL bucket lip.
What size, and how is it fastened to the bucket lip? ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login