Go Bottom Go Bottom

NEED A BOX

View my Photos
skipll
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2011-06-14          179008

Anybody know where I can buy a metal box to bolt on the front of my new tractor to carry a chain saw----chains---etc..
I suppose I could build one-----but would ptefer to buy one.
Perhaps I can have one made here------but getting things done here takes a long,long time around here LOL

THANKS

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

NEED A BOX

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2011-06-14          179010

Never thought about what my four were made of, only their dimensions. One is wood that I made (sits on the hood), two are metal toolboxes, one's a plastic toolbox. Many stores stock them in all sorts of sizes.

Chainsaws have various handles; I hang mine from a simple hook. ....

NEED A BOX

View my Photos
kthompson

2011-06-15          179022

I would want it removalbe as it will be damaged over time on the front. Most install one behind the seat and there could be bolt holes there already. But look at tool boxes. Simple heavy ones. Better will be ammo box. ....

NEED A BOX

View my Photos
Murf

2011-06-15          179026

Skip,

We use a sort of holster, think of a scabbard for a sword, mounted (in our case) to the upright mount for the FEL.

It would be easy enough to make one up out of plywood and mount it somewhere safe. I agree with Kenny, out front's not a great spot. Maybe you can mount it to the ROPS with rad hose clamps and some rubber. a bungee cord around the handle to keep it bounce-proof is a good plan too.

Best of luck. ....

NEED A BOX

View my Photos
skipll

2011-06-15          179029

HI Murf--Little new to this lingo---I figuered out what 'FEL' ment not long ago---But what does 'ROPS mean Please ? ....

NEED A BOX

View my Photos
Murf

2011-06-15          179030

ROPS = Roll Over Protection Structure.

NEED A BOX

View my Photos
skipll

2011-06-15          179031

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf | view 179030
ROPS = Roll Over Protection Structure.

Thanks Murf--been tryin to figure that one out for a week or so.
Hummm--will have to think bout that. Perhaps I could do as I have on ATV. I took a 8" 2X8 ---Sawed it in 1/2 --thickness wise---removed the thicknes & width of the chain saw blade & bolted bak together.

I'm goin down to the carport to have a look at the ROPS rite now----ya got me thinkin---yup ....

NEED A BOX

View my Photos
skipll

2011-06-15          179033

Well just had a look at the ROPS------Yup---Thats where it is gonna go. I will make it out of wood ---easy for me & I have plenty of wood around here left over from various jobs. Also some metal from the dumpsters ( I grab every bed frame I find there---good for welding )
I guess I wanted it mounted on the front cause a friend has one on the front of his tractor & he keeps saying while pointing to my front bumper ( mounting plate )-----" ya need to mount a box there etc.".
I did have one made out of thin metal mounted on the front of my Yanmar-- ( no ROPS on it )---It did not last long with all the bouncing LOL.

Thanks for the informative replies ---

Hope to start building one tomorrow ----Soon as I draw a plan ....

NEED A BOX

View my Photos
auerbach

2011-06-17          179046

If you want a scabbard why don't you just buy a plastic chain-guard and use that? ....

NEED A BOX

View my Photos
skipll

2011-06-17          179051

A plastic scabbard is hard to mount----& not very strong the ones I see ---My holder is way better & stronger--
Besides I need to carry chains, cable & snatch block, peve, gas for saw, and a few small tools-----Thinkin I need a box ---I do.
But thanks for the suggestion-- ....

NEED A BOX

View my Photos
Murf

2011-06-17          179052

Skip, you do have another option if you're handy with a welder, both for a tool/chain box and a saw holder.

On each side of the tractor, just ahead of where your feet sit, is what's called a "mounting boss". This is where the FEL would mount if you had one. It would be easy to weld up a bracket with holes to bolt into the engine block.

It's a handy spot since it's inside the wheel track and not to high nor low.

Best of luck. ....

NEED A BOX

View my Photos
skipll

2011-06-17          179055

Will have to scope that out Murf----But I can weld---just not very good :)
Way, Way better with wood

THANKS ....

NEED A BOX

View my Photos
kthompson

2011-06-17          179059

You might could use a short piece of PVC pipe and use clamps to hold it to ROPS for the saw. Yes, drop the blade in the PVC pipe.

As to what Murf is talking about all you probably will need to two shelf type brackets. Bolt them to the tractor and set your wooden box on them. Be sure you don't seal the bottom, it will get water in so it needs to get out easy. ....

NEED A BOX

View my Photos
skipll

2011-06-17          179063

All interesting ideas-----but so far think I will go as the picture shows----minus the wire rack.

Still open to new ideas though---have not started yet--cause we been with out power for 2 days now & my gerator is tied up running the house stuff & I been busy cleaning up & gradeing after our storm wenaday.

THANKS for all the replies ;) ....

Picture Link
Operating and Attachments NEED A BOX

NEED A BOX

View my Photos
skipll

2011-07-03          179267

Well After givin all this some thought---I came up with this idea---In the testing stage so far----Little smaller than I want----It wont hold my large Husqvarna chain saw though---But will my small Stihl & some chains etc..
I put it here for now as I don't want a box on the front---I need some weights there ( another project ) ....

Picture Link
Operating and Attachments NEED A BOX

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login