Go Bottom Go Bottom

raised beds attachment

View my Photos
alexeir
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-08-10          155977

Greetings,

Any reccomendations on what kind of attachment would work best for making raised beds - aprox 3'wide. It would need to fit a 24 hp tractor with 3 pt hitch.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

raised beds attachment

View my Photos
hardwood

2008-08-10          155979

Alez; Tell us a bit more, are you using landscape timbers or railroad ties to contain the soil? Are you bringing the soil for the beds from another location or building them from the surrounding soil? A three point hitch box blade with scarifier teeth will move lots os soil short distances, but for long distasnce a front end loade on your tractor and some kind of small dump trailer will work too. Frank. ....

raised beds attachment

View my Photos
alexeir

2008-08-10          155985

am using the existing soil in the field, just want to create hilled or mounded rows ....

raised beds attachment

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-08-10          155996

Wouldn't a simple rear scraper blade do the job? ....

raised beds attachment

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-08-11          156011

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexeir | view 155977
Greetings,Any reccomendations on what kind of attachment would work best for making raised beds - aprox 3'wide.It would need to fit a 24 hp tractor with 3 pt hitch.

There are a few options if I understand you are wanting to make beds for such as a garden. They make plows for this and you might be hit with having to make multipible passes due to your hp limit. Have link to a frame for such you use "hiller blades" which look like disc blades with for such and there are also bedding sweeps you can use and if not needing to keep the width the same you can also use a middle buster. Middle buster does have its limits on keeping the bed uniform and you probably will be driving on top of the area you are bedding and thus hurting the tilled soil by pressing it. The soil will have to be tilled for any of these to work. kt ....

Link:   hiller blade frame

raised beds attachment

View my Photos
SamSpade

2008-09-15          156678

I want to do something similar. I'd like to be able to pull a hiller behind my 84" tiller to move the soil out of the middle 24 inches and make a lowered path between two rows. It would need to be something I can pull in conjunction with the tiller, though. If I had to make a second pass, the rear wheels will be compacting the area I want to move. These would be pretty long beds, as much as 200 feet long.

My dad had a small v plow he ran behind a troybuilt (rear tine) tiller. I spread the freshly tilled soil out to either side. He would run it down either side of his intended raised beds to form them and sometimes mid season to shape them up and take down the weeds in the paths between beds. I just want to use it to establish the beds prior to planting, though.

For reference, I'll be pulling it with a 48 hp tractor.

Has anybody seen or heard of anything like that? ....

raised beds attachment

View my Photos
kthompson

2008-09-16          156702

Sam, Use to have a Troy Bilt with bedder sweep also. I would think you could do the same with tractor tiller. Look for a old single row cultivator for parts. You will need to mount it to the tiller. Not to the sheet metal but the 3 pth mount.

The bed width and tiller width will not work out just right so you may have to make all right or left when tilling and making the beds. At same time not thinking of any reason it would hurt to run the tiller back over the bed you just made as you will be rebedding it. If you have your spacing set correctly you should place your front tire in the furrow you just made to keep your spacing correct.

With driving as slow as you are, you probably will need an aggressive bedding plow and the setting on it also as you will not have speed to help move the dirt. Just play with it. There are bedding sweeps for use with cultivator much like those with the Troy Bilt. If they don't move enough dirt then you may have to add on metal to make the sides of the sweep taller. If you want a flatter top bed than this gives you, placing a chain to drap across the top may do it.

Sam, you will see many operations hitch together in the large farms, in my part of the world we have small fields and do a lot of raised bed growing. If you are using the sweeps right behind the tires as I think you will, there should be no problem with the tiller being one pass and the bedding another one. You are not planting where the tire just ran and the sweep is breaking it up any how. kt ....

raised beds attachment

View my Photos
GreenWannabe

2008-09-25          156843

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexeir | view 155977
Greetings,Any reccomendations on what kind of attachment would work best for making raised beds - aprox 3'wide.It would need to fit a 24 hp tractor with 3 pt hitch.

You might try these folks. I foubd them on an internet search for "disc tiller." http://fergusonmfgco.com/products.htm ....

raised beds attachment

View my Photos
SamSpade

2008-09-25          156864

I found this at ferguson Mfg

http://fergusonmfgco.com/middlebusters.htm

It looks a lot like what my dad used behind the troy built.

If I could mount it behind the tiller on my tractor, I think it would work.

And the 3pth on my tiller mounts to a square bar that looks similar to the ferguson design. It's the main structural piece ont he tiller. Too bad there isn't one behind the tiller as well as the leading edge. ....

Link:   Ferguson Middle Buster

Picture Link
Operating and Attachments raised beds attachment

raised beds attachment

View my Photos
catred57

2008-09-26          156866

I had good luck with attachments from The Smart Farmer. You might want to look at:
http://thesmartfarmer.com/farm-equipment/Implements/Garden-Bedders.aspx ....

Link:   Attachments

raised beds attachment

View my Photos
kthompson

2008-09-26          156869

At this site it works better to place the web address in the link area below than in the message body. It also makes it show up better. I for one appreciate the effort of each of you. kt ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login