deep tilling: Tillers and Ploughs  -- Tractor Attachments Implements 3ph Discussion Forum and Review deep tilling: Tillers and Ploughs -- Tractor Attachments Implements 3ph Discussion Forum

parts   |   manuals   |   discussion   |   photos   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   contact   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index
New As Posted | Active Subjects

www.emerichsales.com - New & Used Equipment
          View Tractors For Sale!

www.partsbynet.com - Lawn and Garden Equipment Parts

Bernardsville Landscape Lighting
Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Tillers and Ploughs Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 12-10-1999, 00:00 Post: 10880
bill

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 deep tilling

I use my compact tractor for working a small garden. I thinking about buying a tiller for this purpose but most only go about 6" to 7" deep. I would like to find a type that will till down to about 12" or more in order to effectively double-dig the soil.Any ideas on this?Bill

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us | Technorati | Furl | Stumble This

12-11-1999, 00:00 Post: 10902
rm

Filter by User
 deep-tilling

bill, I have found the best companion to a 3pt. tiller is a ground breaking implement, i.e., a plow or sub-soiler, middle-buster etc. Idea being to use the ground breaking implement down to the depth you wish to till. After breaking up or turning the soil the tiller will work with ease. I can bury my tiller after a couple of passes with this method in oklahoma hard clay soil. The sizing of ground engaging implements to tractor size and horsepower is important.

12-11-1999, 00:00 Post: 10916
JerryG

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
 deep-tilling

If you want to really tear it up deep, get you a "one" bottom plow. Match the size to you tractor HP. They are made in 10",12",14" and 16". This plow will go deep and turn the soil upside down to bury the weeds, grass and stems. When you use a bottom plow you wouldn't have the hard ridge between the rows that you would have with a potato plow (middle buster). JerryG

12-12-1999, 00:00 Post: 10933
Bird Senter

TP Contributor

Filter by User
 deep-tilling

Bill, if anyone makes a tiller that will go 12", I haven't seen it yet. About 4 years ago, I started a new garden spot by just going over it many times with a new tiller, but a couple of weeks ago, I started an additional new spot by using the single bottom moldboard first, then the tiller, as mentioned above. That really does work SO much better and faster.

12-12-1999, 00:00 Post: 10949
rm

Filter by User
 deep-tilling

Bird, you got me wondering about my tiller today. I have a Befco G50. I got the tape measure out and found my tines tip to tip is 13". There is about a
1-1/2" clearance inside to the top of the 'box'. When I say 'bury' my tiller, the top of the box is riding maybe 3" above grade. It is so deep that the swing-gate on the back is wide open horizontal. I have my shoes pulled all the way up and they are running well below grade. My guesstimate is that I'm getting down 11" or better. Maybe someone can offer further insight?

Bill, I decided to put in an asparagus bed this fall. I wanted to go down really deep. Used the old 8N and 2-bottom plow to turn the soil. (Made several passes each direction). I then removed 6" of topsoil from the bed. After this I used the tiller to churn all that was left in the new bed. The newly tilled bed 'rose' like flour to become only 3" or so below grade. Now for my goals I plan to add sand and peat, but one could just as easliy bring the old topsoil back in to come back to grade. This method may not be practical for a large garden plot. Note: I do not have a front-end loader, just a poor man's version of one, the 3pt. dirt scoop.

12-12-1999, 00:00 Post: 10952
bill

Filter by User
 deep-tilling

Thanks jerryG, Bird, and m for the advise. The moldboard plow looks like the way to go however, what size can my 20hp 4wd tractor pull? Also I did find a source for deep tillers from Europe. They are called Spaders and a company called Imants sells them. Their WEB site is www.imants.com. bill

12-12-1999, 00:00 Post: 10961
Bird Senter

TP Contributor

Filter by User
 deep-tilling

rm, now you've got me wondering about the tillers. I have a Bush Hog RTS40 and it only tills 6-7" deep. But you talk about your shoes riding well below surface level? The only thing I can think of is that you probably have a lot softer, more porous soil than I. A local soil engineer called mine "Wilson clay loam". It's black dirt that's hard as a rock when dry and will stick to your shoes and build up like you wouldn't believe when it's wet. So in the last 4 years, for an 8,500 square foot garden plot, I've tilled in 3 dump truck loads of wood chips and 2 dump truck loads of cow manure, plus a lot of leaves, a bale of straw, rabbit manure, etc. I have a really nice texture now, and while I've never tried to be a certified organic gardener, I use no chemicals of any kind on the vegetable garden. I have wondered whether the tiller would go deeper and/or whether it would damage anything if I just took the skid shoes completely off.

12-13-1999, 00:00 Post: 10970
RCH

deep-tilling

The Imant deep tiller was very interesting-I was unaware of such a machine for compact tractors.Is there any price information ?
One caveat;ROCKS.In Europe many farms have been picking rocks for centuries or horticulture beds are built up so that rocks are eliminated. Here in Central Wisc. the farmer that rents my bigger fields had a dutch machine by LELY that had 2 bars 12 ft long with 12 inch long prongs every 10 inches that stuck into the ground.The PTO oscilated the 2 bars in opposite directions [perpindicular to the direction of travel]. Rocks basicly destoyed it. It would sweep the rocks in front of it and deposit them where ever you lifted it up for handy picking. The right sized rock[s] however would raise hell.

12-13-1999, 00:00 Post: 10983
rm

Filter by User
 deep-tilling

Bird, I should have stated better how it is I'm able to achieve that depth with the tiller. My plot is small (under 1000 sq. ft.). It generally takes several passes through in each direction before it begins working that deep. I try to choose favorable soil conditions when I till. For me that means hard red clay that dries like rocks. After a soaking rain I wait a few days then go check the clods. When it's just right they break up like cake. Too wet and it's like you describe yours. In a few more days they will be like rocks again. I till slow as my HST will go. (I'm talking crawlin' here). The machine and tractor never complain, just me. It's like Christmas dinner, trying to get everything to come together and work on time. There lies the rub Wink yeah right

12-13-1999, 00:00 Post: 10993
Bird Senter

TP Contributor

Filter by User
 deep-tilling

rm, sounds like you soil is a lot like mine, all right, except for color. And some folks (not the fair minded ones of course) have said I'm not the most patient fellow in the world; sometimes I try to go a little too fast on some jobs, and of course, the slower you go the better job the tiller does.

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Tillers and Ploughs Forum

Thread 10880 Filter by Poster:
bill 3 | Bird Senter 4 | Doug in W. PA 1 | JerryG 1 | Larry 2 | mark 1 | MRETHICS 1 | RCH 1 | rm 3 |

Most Viewed

+ KingKutter vs. Landpride
+ Yanmar Rototiller
+ raised beds attachment
+ Tiller Purchase - Befco, Woods, KK, Bush Hog??
+ Woods GTC52 tiller
+ What is a FLIP PLOW?
+ Tiller vs. Disk harrow
+ Ploughing advice
+ Tiller for BX-22
+ Electric lift cylinder for Cub Cadet tiller

Most Discussion

+ Instead of a Rotary Tiller
+ KK tiller sale
+ CMM Tillers experiences
+ IMMEDIATE ATTENTION KK tiller
+ kk tiller