Instead of a Rotary Tiller: Tillers and Ploughs  -- Tractor Attachments Implements 3ph Discussion Forum and Review Instead of a Rotary Tiller: Tillers and Ploughs -- Tractor Attachments Implements 3ph Discussion Forum

parts   |   manuals   |   discussion   |   photos   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   contact   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index
New As Posted | Active Subjects

www.emerichsales.com - New & Used Equipment
          View Tractors For Sale!

www.partsbynet.com - Lawn and Garden Equipment Parts

Bernardsville Landscape Lighting
Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Tillers and Ploughs Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | 4 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 02-26-2005, 13:33 Post: 106857
StephenR

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 Instead of a Rotary Tiller

Like some other people here I'm searching for a tiller, new or used. Preferably used due to cost factors, but that's another story. So I'm wondering if I can achieve the same goal with bountiful used implements. What I accessed that I would need; 1 or 2 bottom plow, small disc, and small harrow. Would this be sufficient? What would I be able to get away without or instead of? Plows and discs are usually for sale, I haven't seen too many small harrows though. Any input would be appreciated. What benefits would doing one over the other have?

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us | Stumble This

02-26-2005, 16:38 Post: 106859
brokenarrow

Filter by User

Stephen
What are you trying to accomplish? Is this food plots for hunting. Gardens? or actually farm production fields?
Harwood is still in farming I believe and is more than likely up on those practices. Food plots on the other hand are similar but may use different paths to accomplish the same thing. Being no profesional I will throw in my .02 worth. See my pics for my results last year.
I have every thing you talked about except the tiller. Guess what? The tiller is my next purchase. The tiller will replace all your former mentioned tools. Here are a few reasons to by that tiller and forget the other things.
With out a tiller you better have some time on your hands.
You have a timothy field and are ready to replant. You spray it with round up,(not a necessity with a tiller but is ideal) wait 2 weeks. run your tiller thru it to make a near perfect seed bed. Wait a few more weeks for any new weed seeds you brought to the surface to germinate. round up that field one more time and the next day you are ready to spread the seed lighty incorporate with any old bed spring or spring tooth harrow or chain link fence etc. (as long as it is not seed that needs to be too deep) you done! You could cultipack if you have one but not a necessity.
IF you have the other tools. Ideally you would spray with roundup. You have to wait till the moisture is perfect and then plow. The your problems start. you tractor is limited with the disk you can pull. the weight to disk ratio should be 100 pounds per disk and you will never even get close. yes after many passes you will be able to achieve this but like I said after many passes. Proceed as usual after that
I am not saying you cant do it the older way, heck farmers used the 8n's for many years just the tiller makes life so much easier and your seed bed will be perfect. I wish I would of spent my money on a KingKutter tiller last year before spending all kinds of money on other tools.
Your KK tiller will run you $1400 including tax at the most! 5'tiller brand new, slip clutch etc.
Your 2 bottom plow used will be 2-4 hundred more than likely, disk? The sky is the limit 100-800 depending on your luck and the shape its in. your drag or harrow the same as before depending on your time spent looking or your luck in finding it. IMHO The tiller will last you for a heck of a long time and will give you many options for different uses. (Not to mention you will make a ton of new freinds) If I were in your position I would not even think about the other options. Stephen, thats just my opinion and that is from experiance with food plots. I am as cheap as they come and have learned the hard way so many times its pathetic. What you save in money is not worth the time and effort nor the hassel of using all the other impliments not to metion the space they take up.
What ever you choose I wish you the best.
Brokenarrow

02-26-2005, 17:59 Post: 106863
StephenR

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Dude,
Thanks alot! You sure answered alot of questions, some I didn't even think of asking. Your pretty much dead on with those numbers. I posted the message before I called a guy in the paper who had the implements. 1 bottom plow - $175; 2 bot - $450 (claims it's new); 5 1/2' disc - $495; 10' harrow - $150 (said I'd only have to use 2 sections). KK Tiller new at TSC ~ $1200+ tax.
I've always been something of a purist but hey, they were invented for a reason.
Good luck with your moving decision, sounds exciting but stressful. Such is life.

02-26-2005, 21:30 Post: 106875
AnnBrush

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

All this tiller talk, here is my $50 solution. I had a bush hog and bought two very large pry bars from Harbour Freight Co. Drilled two holes on either side of the 3 point frame on the bush hog and attached the pry bars with saddle bolts to the front of the hog so that the pry bars extended 10" below the hog when it was lowered. Then drove the tractor with the bush hog lowered so that the pry bars dug in to the soil with the weight of the bush hog and I could lift them when the clay got too stiff. OK it took an hour to till a 30' x 30 section just going round and round and in figure of 8's etc., but it worked damn well and I didn't need to lay out n$1400 for a tiller just $ 10 in extra fuel. Unless you are tilling a large area a 3 pt tiller just cannot be justified, you are better off getting a sub soiler or pry bars as I did.

02-26-2005, 21:43 Post: 106876
Archdean

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Would be interested to know how compacted the soil is below the 10" depth of your pry bars with all that driving around and around!!

Just the otherside and perhaps a question worth considering!!

Personaly a one pass tiller like the Landpride is worth the money!!

Link:   A Quality Tiller Here 

02-27-2005, 07:08 Post: 106903
hardwood

TP Contributor

StephenR; Either system will get the job done but will require different preparations. A moldboard plow does have an advantage of turning under greater amounts of old crop residue that will clog a tiller. If the plow leaves the soil pretty rough then a disk and harrow will be needed after the plow and each pass adds back to the compaction you were trying to relieve in the beginning. As was said before mowing the aeria first then spraying with roundup at least a couple weeks ahead of tiller use will produce a very nice seedbed in one pass. With either machine wait till the soil is good and dry, working it too wet makes either big clods with a plow or marble size ones with a tiller. My vote goes to the tiller. Frank.

02-27-2005, 16:13 Post: 106925
earthwrks

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

I use my 6' power box rake (aka Harley rake)like a 'tiller. And it works great for removing rocks too as it digs hem out and rolls them ahead or off into a windrow. I tilled my buddys' gardens with it with good results. I can also regrade my 1100' gravel road with it--even when it's slightly frozen--like now!

02-27-2005, 19:35 Post: 106939
WVTC33

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Stephen,
I have to agree with brokenarrow on this one.
I bought my 5' KK gear driven tiller and slip clutch new at TSI last spring for under $1000. (10% discount if you signed up for their credit card at the time). I use it for gardens and food plots in heavy WV red clay. I average a minium of 1/4 acre per hour to a max. of 1/2 acre per hour, depending on how deep I am tilling. I follow that with seed and a fourwheeler pulling a piece of chain link fence. If you have some helpers along you can cover a lot of ground in a day.
I am looking forward to spring to get started again, we have app. 3 miles of logging roads I want to seed, plus two more 1/2 acre well sites.
The tiller is the a little expensive, but will make shot work of these kind of small to moderate size jobs if you can swing it.
Don't forget to pull and run soil samples before starting, your local state extension office will run these for free, at least they do here. Getting it right the first time can save a lot of money in the long run.
And as brokenarrow said, when people see you have a tiller, everybody wants to be your friend.
Gerald C.

02-28-2005, 09:35 Post: 106965
StephenR

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

"And as brokenarrow said, when people see you have a tiller, everybody wants to be your friend."

Maybe I can park the tractor and tiller in the front of my property with a "For Hire" sign on it. No better friends than dead green presidents in your pocket. ;^)

03-01-2005, 14:55 Post: 107053
brokenarrow

Filter by User

ROTFLMAO!!!
Dead green Presidents!
Good idea

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | 4 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Tillers and Ploughs Forum

Thread 106857 Filter by Poster:
091755 2 | AnnBrush 2 | Archdean 2 | Art White 1 | BillMullens 1 | bmeyer 5 | brokenarrow 3 | DK35vince 4 | earthwrks 1 | glocknut30 1 | gozarian 1 | hardwood 1 | Ironpeddler 1 | JBarron 1 | JParker 1 | StephenR 5 | WVTC33 1 |

Most Viewed

+ KingKutter vs. Landpride
+ Yanmar Rototiller
+ raised beds attachment
+ Woods GTC52 tiller
+ Tiller Purchase - Befco, Woods, KK, Bush Hog??
+ What is a FLIP PLOW?
+ Tiller vs. Disk harrow
+ Ploughing advice
+ Tiller for BX-22
+ Electric lift cylinder for Cub Cadet tiller

Most Discussion

+ Instead of a Rotary Tiller
+ KK tiller sale
+ CMM Tillers experiences
+ IMMEDIATE ATTENTION KK tiller
+ kk tiller
+ KingKutter vs. Landpride