Go Bottom Go Bottom

What to do about mold water in a pole barn

View my Photos
pleasantbarn
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2013-07-31          187761

Hi all,

New homeowner with a pole barn garage. My pole barn has no foundation, so the posts are driven in the ground and the floor of the garage is dirt. The back of the pole barn has flooring, but it is just wooden 2x4 planking (like a deck) built a few inches off the dirt ground. This back area is used as a pool house with a changing room, fridge, and cabinets. Also in the back of the barn is an office room which is more insulated and sealed with a door, and I have noticed through cracks in the wall panels that there is vapor barrier/insulation behind the wood walls. I'm not sure if it's insulated under the room floor or not.

There is no ventilation in the roof of the pole barn at all, either at the peak or on the eaves. But since there is no foundation, the bottom of the pole barn is open an inch or so to the elements all the way around, except at the insulated room. There is also a fair amount of leakage to the elements under the garage doors and by the pool house, where there is a sliding barn door to the pool which simply has 2 latches to hold it against the pool barn and semi-seal it.

I've noticed that some of wood near the bottom of the pole barn is black, probably from mold. I also see it above the garage doors. Even the insulated room smells a bit like cat pee (maybe that's what it is, or maybe it's the smell of mold, I don't know)

I don't think I can run a dehumidifier, because I feel like I'd just be dehumidifying the great outdoors due to all the leaks around the bottom of the building. Is there anything I can do for a building like this to keep moisture under control?

Thanks,

Bill

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2013-08-01          187766

TO begin with welcome to TP.

Bill knowing some about mold get it tested for type of mold first. Some is safe but others kill and the typical homeowner will make those more dangerous trying to remove them. Even the color the mold will help tell the type it is.

With no idea where you are will make my comments for the humid southeastern US. Get vents in/near the top of that building. May need fans in them to move or change the air out often. If the building does not have guttering and drain line around it install both. Consider raising the floor of the building. Would probably install treated wood to keep it off of the metal but get the inside some higher than the area around it. Have no idea about installing moisture block (plastic) with dirt over it but if you had concrete floor here you would do that. I have that under any concrete even outdoor if something will sit on it.

Good sources on local advance would be with a company who treats for water damage on the mold type and for keeping dry a pest company as they try to keep soil dry. ....

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2013-08-01          187767

Or, the black stuff might be creosote - which is a good thing. Nothing suggested so far is incorrect. But before proceeding into those areas I'd first stop ground water from coming in in the first place. Usual solution is to backfill the perimeter where the outside walls meet the ground. Force the water to go anywhere BUT under the walls. Perforated drainage tubes can stop it at the door(s)

//greg// ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login