Northern Tool / FarmPro Tractors?: Other Tractor Brands  -- Other Tractor Brands Discussion Forum and Review Northern Tool / FarmPro Tractors?: Other Tractor Brands -- Other Tractor Brands Discussion Forum

parts   |   manuals   |   discussion   |   photos   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   contact   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index
New As Posted | Active Subjects

www.emerichsales.com - New & Used Equipment
          View Tractors For Sale!

www.partsbynet.com - Lawn and Garden Equipment Parts

Bernardsville Landscape Lighting
Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Other Tractor Brands Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 10-23-2003, 10:20 Post: 66895
denfun

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 Northern Tool / FarmPro Tractors?

I've been looking at Northern tool and FarmPro tractors as well as Yanmar. Are Northern tool and FarmPro the same tractor? Seem to be from the descriptions. Anyone have any experience with them. Debating betwene used Yanmar 1610 and a new FarmPro or Northern tool. Any other suggestions in the 4WD, 18-25hp range that are in the $7-19K (w/ FEL)? Need it mostly for post hole digging, dragging a rake and moving snow (at times 30" plus here in denver)
thanks

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us | Technorati | Furl | Stumble This

10-23-2003, 10:22 Post: 66896
denfun

Filter by User

Sorry, meant to say $7 to 10K. Not 19K.

10-23-2003, 10:50 Post: 66897
Chief

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

I believe these tractors are made by Jinma. They are very simple and basic, kinda rough as far as finish quality but I have heard very good reviews and comments about them. Homier has them of about $1,000 less.

Here is another thread on these tractors if you have not looked at it already.

Link:   click here 

10-23-2003, 11:39 Post: 66905
kwschumm

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

I have no direct knowledge of these tractors, but they are made by Jimna. Check out the CTOA (Chinese tractor owners association) at this link. Personally, I wouldn't buy one unless I had a local source of parts and the ability to do my own repairs. A broken $10k tractor is just a big paperweight if you can't get parts for it and Murphy's law says it will break when you need it the most.

Link:   CTOA 

10-24-2003, 02:47 Post: 66947
chipuren

Filter by User

There is an interesting advantage regarding parts for Jinma tractors. Besides Homier (Farm Pro), Northern (Nortrac), Agracat,etc. there are literally dozens of other importers/dealers who sell the Jinma tractor under many different names (Some even call them Jinma!). At last count there were about 110 Farm Pro dealers alone (I am one), I'd guess there are over 200 Jinma dealers now in the US.

Several of these dealers are making big commitments to the spare parts business. In 2002 some 3000 Jinmas came to the US, could be as much as double this year. The parts market is significant. ONe company even has an online parts ordering.

So even if one importer drops the line, others are there to pick up the slack. I had heard that in 2002 appx.3000 Jinma's found thier way here. This year may double that number.

As for trade-ins I think the big problem is that there are so few seen on the used market. Price guides are spotty at best on these. Naturally a tractor that cost $7,000 new will be worth a lot less than one that cost $15,000. But if after 10 years the 15,000 tractor is worth 9,000 and the 7,000 tractor is worth $2500, who came out better?

It is true that in general the castings are rough (but heavy), sheet metal a little wavey, no synchos, (mechanical shuttles are coming soon). Not for everyone, but they do offer an affordable alternative to folks that need a tractor once or twice a week around their place and they seem to hold up well in that environment. I don't recommend them for heavy daily commercial use, there are plenty of good high dollar tractors to choose from and they will give you a better tax write off too.

Link:   Jinma Parts 

10-24-2003, 07:30 Post: 66955
TomG

TP Contributor

Filter by User

Thanks for the note and I'll likely be keeping track of this type tractor. I have a mid-80's Ford and the many times recombined NH Company likely doesn't feel a huge commitment to somebody else's older products. They've been nibbling away at the parts support for awhile now.

The big 3 or 4 manufacturers probably need some help from a NAPA like organization because parts price and availability may kill their products. After all, how many people would buy N.A. autos if they had to pay dealer shop rates and buy dealer parts? NAPA is real good for auto manufacturers.

Eventually I'll face a huge repair problem and an inexpensive new tractor may seem like a bargain. New customers may start asking themselves 'Why pay top dollar for a tractor that's expected to last a life-time and have cradle to grave dealer support if there's a chance that some future organization might pull the plug?' Anyway, that's the sorts of things I'll be thinking as I watch how the Chinese tractors evolve in N.A.

10-24-2003, 07:54 Post: 66956
Chief

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

chipuren, thanks for the good parts and information post! Hope you will keep us updated with news and developments with these tractors. I have looked at them several times in the past but did not know enough about them or logistical support available. Learning info. such as this definitely changes my view of the Jinma line for the better.

Dennis, not sure if you saw my last post about this but what do you think about making a forum for the Jinma tractor line?

10-24-2003, 09:33 Post: 66973
kwschumm

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

My comments about parts availability come from another Jinma product, the Jinma chipper. When talking to a Jinma dealer in Oregon about those I asked about parts availability. The belts and bearings could be picked up at NAPA, but when I asked about things like gearboxes, shafts, or flywheels he said it might take a couple of months to get those. I still might buy the chipper, but that kind of parts lag time would be hard to swallow on a tractor.

10-25-2003, 15:08 Post: 67077
gauthier

Filter by User

As far as [rebuilding a chipper],if you need those kinds of parts,hell any brand would take a while to get those kinda things in,don't you think? Richard

10-25-2003, 15:39 Post: 67078
gauthier

Filter by User

Parts are not a problem with these tractors so every body who likes saying that can now quit.What you don't have[for the most part],is your local chinese tractor garage,like the big three have,but you do have many mechanics out there who are ready to take your money just the same if it was a big three or four or ever how many bigs they are now.All you have to do is order the parts and get them to Mr. mechanics shop and there you go.I got a northern 254,its now got 163 hrs on it,I've had it one year,and no major problems so far,[couple of leaks,had to replace the chinese battery with an interstate,which northern payed for],its a solid little tractor,moter has allkinds of power for a 25 h.p.,four wheel drive will move you in mud over front axils,I use a 5 ft brushog onit and a 6 ft. blade with power to spare,Now it is a standard shift,brakes require leg power,and it has its other quirks that you have to deal with,but you can deal with them,[at least so far for me],8,ooo dollars ready to go to work,you can get them cheaper and put them together like all dealers do imports,but thats not a real option for most people and its a great deal of trouble in any case,but some people,[I guess],like a challenge.I mean you could buy two [about],for the price you would pay for new green or orange and this is not a little tiny riding lawn mower tractor,its about 3,000 lbs.,I think.But ifin you got plenty of money then you should buy one of the big uns,with all the bells and things that money can buy,than when something breaks,[and things break on the big uns to as we all know,then you can drive over to your local dealer and look him right in the eye and say hey man,what kinda piece of junk did you sell me and I want this thing fixed tommorow if not today and you can come and get it yourself. Richard

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Other Tractor Brands Forum

Thread 66895 Filter by Poster:
bjr2351 1 | Chief 2 | chipuren 3 | Cub104129 2 | denfun 2 | gauthier 6 | kwschumm 8 | TomG 2 |

Most Viewed

+ Task Master Tractors.Are they any good??
+ Branson Tractor Review
+ Mahindra are they good review
+ Branson vs. Century
+ What about Mccormick tractors?
+ Leaf vacuum for catagory I three point
+ New to me Bolens Tractor
+ Mahindra - Starting problems
+ TYM and Terramite Tractors
+ FarmTrac 300DTC

Most Discussion

+ Task Master Tractors.Are they
+ TIME TO START MAHINDRA DISCUSS