How do you get stumps out? 
: Other Tractor Brands  -- Other Tractor Brands Discussion Forum and Review How do you get stumps out? : Other Tractor Brands -- Other Tractor Brands Discussion Forum

parts   |   manuals   |   discussion   |   photos   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   contact   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index
New As Posted | Active Subjects

www.emerichsales.com - New & Used Equipment
          View Tractors For Sale!

www.partsbynet.com - Lawn and Garden Equipment Parts

Bernardsville Landscape Lighting
Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Other Tractor Brands Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 06-12-1999, 00:00 Post: 5016
Roger L.

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User

To remove stumps I try to get a little up force or I push on them witheither the loader or the backhoe. Then while the bucket is holding the force on the stump I take an old chainsaw reserved for thispurpose and cut through all the dirty roots that I can find. I will even stick the nose of this chainsaw into the ground. Then climb back on the tractor and try to tilt the stump somemore.....repeat until done... Sure is a lot of work. Anyone else have a better way? Roger L.

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us | Stumble This

06-12-1999, 00:00 Post: 5019
Rob

I'm kinda new at this tractor business so I don't know if this is a better way or not...Visualize the stump in the center of a square box. I dig down with the backhoe on all four sides, usually moving the tractor twice. If the 'hoe can't break a root, I just move a foot or so over and dig again where the root is most likely smaller. I only had to actually dig on all four sides once, that was on about a thirty inch stump that had a ball about four feet in dia. once I got it out. I've tried to cut the roots, but for me it is easier to rip them with the hoe. I'm also learning how to use the dipperstick together with the bucket to get some serious digging force. My total lifetime hours on a tractor is around 23, so I'll be interested in hearing from some of the more experienced tractor folks also.

06-12-1999, 00:00 Post: 5023
Alan

Filter by User

I have a Kubota B2710 with loader, no backhoe. I've only tried to pull two stumps and gave up on both. I tried pushing and digging with the loader but neither stump would budge. One was about a 6 inch honey locust stump about a foot tall, the other a bois'darc about 10 inches in diameter and only about a foot tall. Power is not a problem, but all four wheels spin and I get nowhere. I didn't spend a whole lot of time on this, I just assumed I needed a bigger tractor for such chores. I don't have any ballast in the tires. Just a 5 foot cutter on the back.

06-13-1999, 00:00 Post: 5032
daryl

First of all you have to be smarter than the stump?

06-13-1999, 00:00 Post: 5036
Alan

Filter by User

Thats probably the problem.

06-13-1999, 00:00 Post: 5038
Roger L.

Filter by User

Alan, I don't think a bigger tractor is the answer, because I have a big JD thathas more loader most any compact....and I have seen it completely defeated by an 8" fence post sunk four feet in the ground. Of course for the fencepost the trick is to wobble it with the tractor and then pull it out with a chainand a half hitch. Stumps are harder for me to deal with. Yes, I have tried the old trick of attaching the chain to the stump, backing upto the stump, and running the chain over the tire and driving onto it. The amountof tension that you can put on a chain in this manner is incredible. It completely flattened the tire. This was heavy logging chain; I'm luckyit didn't break. The stump didn't budge, but I still feel stupid for even trying this stunt. If the stump had come loose, all that stored energy in the tire would have flung both the stump and chain halfway to town. Sometimes I wonder what makes guys do such crazy things .....? Roger L

06-13-1999, 00:00 Post: 5039
mike

Rob's got the right idea. Usually by digging around the stump moving out if the hoe will not break the roots is the best way to get the stump out of the ground. Be patient and don't abuse your equipment, I've spent an hour on a big pine stump and ended up with a huge hole but I got the stump out without damaging tractor or hoe. Start maybe 4' away from the base and get deeper as you move in. Eventually you will break loose and be able to remove the stump. Patience, Patience, Patience

06-14-1999, 00:00 Post: 5055
Dave

Do a search on the subject, both here and onthe farm machinery forum, this is an old discussion. I run a stump grinding service and spent year working construction. I have offer opinion on several occations before. If I can find the time I will try to come back and repeat them.

06-14-1999, 00:00 Post: 5069
Brian

It helps if there is a tree attached to the stump SmilePush on the tree as far up as your loader will go. move around to the other side and try again it you couldn't get it on the first try. Repeat as required. It amazing how big a tree you can take down like this... especially it you do a little digging around it first.

06-15-1999, 00:00 Post: 5142
diggerdarol

I have a little (23hp) Yanmar excavator and have got a number of fir and cedar stumps out with it. I have found that in my soil digging around it and then tipping the stump off the resulting column of dirt/clay that it ends up on top of. Once tipped I dig more dirt off the bottom of it to lighten it and then I have it down to about 1000-1500lbs and I can tumble it along if it's too heavy to pick up between the hoe and blade. I end up with a pretty big hole. I take my time also so as not to abuse the digger or get hurt. If I had a lot of large stumps I'd probably rent a bigger excavator that can just grab them and rip them out.

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Other Tractor Brands Forum

Thread 5016 Filter by Poster:
Alan 2 | Billy 1 | Brian 1 | daryl 1 | Dave 1 | davegoodine 1 | dick 1 | diggerdarol 1 | Kevin M 1 | MichaelSnyder 1 | mike 1 | Mike_Va 1 | MRETHICS 1 | paul m 1 | Rob 1 | Roger L. 2 | slowrev 1 | Steve Offiler 1 | TomG 2 |

Most Viewed

+ Task Master Tractors.Are they any good??
+ Branson Tractor Review
+ Mahindra are they good review
+ Branson vs. Century
+ What about Mccormick tractors?
+ Leaf vacuum for catagory I three point
+ New to me Bolens Tractor
+ Mahindra - Starting problems
+ TYM and Terramite Tractors
+ FarmTrac 300DTC

Most Discussion

+ Task Master Tractors.Are they
+ TIME TO START MAHINDRA DISCUSS