Is a compact really enough tractor? 
: Other Tractor Brands  -- Other Tractor Brands Discussion Forum and Review Is a compact really enough tractor? : Other Tractor Brands -- Other Tractor Brands Discussion Forum

parts   |   manuals   |   discussion   |   photos   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   contact   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index
New As Posted | Active Subjects

www.emerichsales.com - New & Used Equipment
          View Tractors For Sale!

www.partsbynet.com - Lawn and Garden Equipment Parts

Bernardsville Landscape Lighting
Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Other Tractor Brands Forum

Page [ 1 ] |
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 04-03-1999, 00:00 Post: 2323
Keith

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

So here I am, I've narrowed my choices down to a JD4300, or a 955, or a 790, or a Kubota L3010, or a B2710; when I get to talking with my neighbor, who's an agricultural extension agent, or something like that. As though there isn't enough confusing opinions out there, he starts telling me that compacts only sort of barely do the job when it comes to farming. In my case, I've got about 10-13 acres of pasture (my place is a 27-acre horse farm). And if I want to improve my pastures, he says, I'm going to be using a chain harrow, possibly a no-till seeder (which requires hydraulic valves to the back implement, he says), maybe a high-lift finishing mower in the back (to suck up leave, mince 'em, and blow 'em into the woods), and possibly stuff to lime, fertilize, and seed. His opinion is that even the largest sub-40pto compacts are only slightly effective at any of these jobs, compared to a real tractor. One problem for me is I want to go into my woods some and bush-hog and clear out some of the brush and small trees to make "park-like" areas and walking paths. Another major concern is, when I look at the specs on some of the 40hp machines, they have category 2 hitches! What am I getting myself into?! Does this mean I'm buying implements that don't fit a category 1 tractor hitch. Any help on my neighbor's opinion would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us | Technorati | Furl | Stumble This

04-03-1999, 00:00 Post: 2324

Filter by User
 Is a compact really enough tractor?Sure!!

If yo do not plan to farm full time the large tractors you look @ are fine as far clearing goes you should not work your machine to hard. I manage a 10 ac farm in southern indiana with 1 15hp 4wd compact at times I wish I was heavier but it does most of my work very well. got to the link below this will help you!!good luckIan

04-03-1999, 00:00 Post: 2327

Filter by User

I grew up on a small farm and used a Satoh 650G quite a bit. That unit was about the same size you are now considering. We used it for everything - plow and disk 5 acres, spraying, pulling rocks & logs, bush hogging - anything we figured we needed a tractor for. It was 2wd and worked out OK. Could we have gotten along better & faster with a larger unit? Sure, but Dad wan't trying to make a living on it either.Go check out the implements you will need. If they are mostly Cat II, that will help guide you there. If you find Cat I stuff, the difference is that they are likely to be smaller (don't read lower quality in "smaller"). Smaller generally means it will take longer to do the work, an issue with profit farming. Most of the use of a tractor will give you comes from what you can hitch it to. Good Luck!Lee

04-03-1999, 00:00 Post: 2329
Hevin

I had a Oliver 550 that I trade in for a Kubota 2150 and have now complaints. The dealer told me it would do everything the Oliver would and then some he is was right.

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] |

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Other Tractor Brands Forum

Thread 2323 Filter by Poster:
2 | Hevin 1 | Keith 1 |

Most Viewed

+ Task Master Tractors.Are they any good??
+ Branson Tractor Review
+ Mahindra are they good review
+ Branson vs. Century
+ What about Mccormick tractors?
+ Leaf vacuum for catagory I three point
+ New to me Bolens Tractor
+ Mahindra - Starting problems
+ TYM and Terramite Tractors
+ FarmTrac 300DTC

Most Discussion

+ Task Master Tractors.Are they
+ TIME TO START MAHINDRA DISCUSS