Go Bottom Go Bottom

Branson 4220 racing problem

View my Photos
bobs4220
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2016-03-05          194671

I have a 2005 or so Branson 4220. When I turn it on it races and I have to shut it off for fear of over revving the engine. Any thoughts. I purchased it three years ago and it has 600 hours on it. Just got it back from some minor repairs. The mechanic thinks it might be a problem with the injectors. Please let it be an inexpensive fix...!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2016-03-08          194692

So you have checked to be sure your throttle is not stuck open?
Second question what type of work was done on it?

To me if it was working and went in shop for repair and now there is this issue sounds likely something they did either meaning to or not even aware of it have affected it. ....

View my Photos
Imfedup

2016-03-09          194695

I too have to wonder what "minor repairs" were performed, and how that might be connected to the fuel pump and it's related controls.
On another note - I hope you misunderstood or mistakenly reported the mechanic's statement concerning this issue to be a possible injector problem. Engine RPM running wild is by no means the fault of the injectors. Throttle controls, governor problems, injection pump rack issues, maybe, but NOT injectors. If this is indeed his position as a possible explanation, you should be looking for someone else to work on your tractor in the future. ....

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2016-03-09          194696

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imfedup | view 194695
I too have to wonder what "minor repairs" were performed, and how that might be connected to the fuel pump and it's related controls. On another note - I hope you misunderstood or mistakenly reported the mechanic's statement concerning this issue to be a possible injector problem. Engine RPM running wild is by no means the fault of the injectors. Throttle controls, governor problems, injection pump rack issues, maybe, but NOT injectors. If this is indeed his position as a possible explanation, you should be looking for someone else to work on your tractor in the future.

So correct! ....

View my Photos
bobs4220

2016-03-10          194700

The minor repairs included a starting problem. I could not start using the key. He replaced a switch. I asked him what he thought when I described the racing and thats when he said it could be something in the injector box. Perhaps he was talking about thee injection pump rack as suggested by Imfedup. I'll check the throttle and governor to see if anything seems to be sticking.
I appreciate all the help from everyone. ....

View my Photos
Imfedup

2016-03-10          194701

The throttle linkage is about all that's visible. Anything beyond that requires taking something apart. I"m sure the procedures can be explained to you, should you choose to "do it yourself." I've dealt with any number of such pumps, and may be of some help if you're interested. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2016-03-10          194706

Bobs please forgive me on this but the first time I saw the title you gave this I chuckled then and still do. The idea of a Tractor race and it running away in it was what still comes to my mind. I know that does not help you, unless the purse is rather large for such. lol ....

View my Photos
bobs4220

2016-03-17          194738

Well KT TP contributor makes me scratch my head a little....:)
Bob ....

View my Photos
bobs4220

2016-03-17          194739

I see the linkage and everything seems to work ok. Glad to have some advice in checking it out though... ....

View my Photos
bobs4220

2016-04-05          194934

I checked the linkage and all seems to be working fine. Not sure where the governor is located and could use some help with that. ....

View my Photos
Imfedup

2016-04-06          194935

If you're satisfied that the external linkage is operating properly, the next step is to remove the pump and see what's going on behind it. This requires removing the four nuts and washers holding the pump in place. All injector lines, the fuel shut off solenoid, and anything else in the way of lifting the unit out of the engine block. As the pump is lifted, tilt it toward the outside and look behind it for a slim metal link attached to the pump and secured with a small hairpin. Next trick is to remove the hairpin (without dropping it), slip the link off and work the pump out of the hole. Usually the shims under the pump will stay in place during all this, but take some care to make sure, because they all need to be there, intact, when the pump goes back.
Once out, examine the rack the link was connected to. You should be able to slide it back and forth with a fingertip. I suspect yours will not. At this point you should consult a qualified pump shop. If the pump is NOT actually the problem, then the governor and it's associated components come into question. ....

View my Photos
bobs4220

2016-04-06          194937

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imfedup | view 194935
If you're satisfied that the external linkage is operating properly, the next step is to remove the pump and see what's going on behind it. This requi ...
doesnt sound so bad to try. Does that mean the governor might be more difficult? ....

View my Photos
Imfedup

2016-04-06          194938

I have not yet been into the governor on one of those engines, so I have comment. I will say that to the best of my knowledge it's somewhere under the front cover, nestled among the timing gears. ....

View my Photos
bobs4220

2016-08-27          195681

I contacted the mechanic at the branson dealer in Simpsonville,KY because the local guy didn't seem sure about the problem. The mechanic said he had never had to change a injector on a branson! He told me to have the local guy try a part can of transmission fluid thru the fuel pump to try to loosen up what might be sticking. Didn't work.he even Reyes Seafoam. The local guy was not happy that I asked someone else...he said he had changed many injectors. So I had them bring it back to me as I was going on vacation for 6 weeks. So here I am back without a tractor. I may try checking it out myself as advised above. Is there any step by step instructions out there? How about a part number from someone who has a manual? ....

View my Photos
bobs4220

2016-08-27          195682

I contacted the mechanic at the branson dealer in Simpsonville,KY because the local guy didn't seem sure about the problem. The mechanic said he had never had to change a injector on a branson! He told me to have the local guy try a part can of transmission fluid thru the fuel pump to try to loosen up what might be sticking. Didn't work.he even Reyes Seafoam. The local guy was not happy that I asked someone else...he said he had changed many injectors. So I had them bring it back to me as I was going on vacation for 6 weeks. So here I am back without a tractor. I may try checking it out myself as advised above. Is there any step by step instructions out there? How about a part number from someone who has a manual? ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login