Mahindra Kioti Brason and Cub Cadet Comparison Review: Other Tractor Brands  -- Other Tractor Brands Discussion Forum and Review Mahindra Kioti Brason and Cub Cadet Comparison Review: Other Tractor Brands -- Other Tractor Brands Discussion Forum

parts   |   manuals   |   discussion   |   photos   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   contact   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index
New As Posted | Active Subjects

www.emerichsales.com - New & Used Equipment
          View Tractors For Sale!

www.partsbynet.com - Lawn and Garden Equipment Parts

Bernardsville Landscape Lighting
Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Other Tractor Brands Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 06-10-2008, 13:36 Post: 154460
Hambrospiper

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 Mahindra, Kioti, Brason and Cub Cadet Comparison Review

I too have been looking - researching my options for the purchase of a new more reliable tractor. It's what brought me to this site. Thanks to all for your participation.

My needs are to pull medium sized Pine stumps, 20"+/-. Pine Bark Beetle is wiping out our trees and I have more all the time in dry rocky soil. We would also like to dig a new cistern for irrigation, run underground power lines to out buildings, terracing and general landscaping, plow snow and maintain our 700ft driveway and just have something around that's ready to work when needed in sub-zero to 100+ F. temps.

The closest dealership in our area is Cub Cadet. Great people and service, I'd like to buy from them, but so far I'm not sure about their tractors. "Bulletproof" is all I've heard, but I'm not planning on using it for target practice. Unless of course I decide to buy one and it craps out on me.

I started out looking at Kubota and JD, mostly for their resale value. I decided against Kubota because I understand from owners I've talked with (who love their tractors) say it just takes too long to get parts and service. And (from what I've heard) John Deere parts are just too expensive period. Although they're not entirely out of the running.

Mahindra, Kioti, Brason and Cub Cadet are at the top of my current list, pretty much in that order. I'm thinking 4x4, something around 30hp with FEL and backhoe. Preferably priced in the low 20's. Reliability, ease of maintenance and efficiency are my priorities.

Any feedback, agreeing or disagreeing, experiences (good and bad) with specific models of any of the above mentioned tractor brands or info on other brands I might want to consider is appreciated, thanks.

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us | Stumble This

06-10-2008, 13:56 Post: 154462
yooperpete

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

From my understanding most of the Mahindra are an older design from Mitsubusi. Cub Cadet marketed that design in the mid to late 90's and early 00's. I have one of those Cadets and have had no major problems. I felt it was a superior design at the time and still stand by that judgement.

I have had some local dealers of Mahindra's drop the line or complain about service parts and factory help.

The new Cub Cadet recently came out but being that it is a Yanmar design, it would appear to be trustworthy.

From my viewpoint, I would only consider major brands and tend to go with a local dealer that can give me service if needed. I have no experience with the other named brands but know that many of the people here have them. They may be able to enlighten you with their experiences.

06-10-2008, 14:05 Post: 154464
kwschumm

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

You would need much more than a 30hp CUT to pull 20" stumps. A big, heavy CAT would do the job. Now if you want to dig them out a 30hp machine with a backhoe would do the job after a fashion. Is that what you had in mind?

06-10-2008, 14:25 Post: 154465
Hambrospiper

Filter by User

We had a friend out with a mini excavator, 12" bucket(?) He knew that machine like it was an extension of his arm and it still took him about 10 hrs to dig out 7 stumps. I should have put a pool in to the hole that was left.

We had another guy out who did some leveling and excavating for us. I'm guessing it was about a 70hp Case backhoe and he was pulling those trees out as fast as he could get to them. Boom, done.

I'm willing to give up a bit of time to dig out the stumps with a smaller machine, but don't what to make a career out of it. Perhaps renting a larger HP machine to get the job done is the way to go and just go with a 30ish for general use. I'd still like to have a backhoe for when I need it.

06-10-2008, 14:41 Post: 154466
Hambrospiper

Filter by User

Candoarms made a good point another post about parts availability - say 20 yrs down the line.

Kubota may be slow in getting parts to you, but at least they will be available. Kubota is our next closest dealership. I drive by and gawk everyday on my way to work.

They quoted me a price of 21K for a B7800 with HST loader and backhoe. Would the B3030 be better for my needs and if so, why?

06-10-2008, 15:44 Post: 154467
Art White

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Rather then staying in a large fine mowing chassis like the 7800-3030 chassis why not move up to the L-3400hydro chassis. The money is about the same and the added weight will be a plus! I don't back away from the Cadet/Yanmar tractors as far as quality as they did well for deere. As far as Kubota's parts, in the last couple of years they have made some change for the good. We have different ways to order as well as overnite! Just like Case-IH and the rest of the major companies in the industry!

06-10-2008, 16:51 Post: 154469
Hambrospiper

Filter by User

From what you've said, the L series sounds more suited to my needs. Since I only have about an acre or so of lawn to mow and many flower beds and trees to mow around a riding mower doesn't cut it(no pun intended). My little self propelled Honda does a fine job of handling that. I mainly need something to work in the woods with and to maintain our gravel driveway.

We already have a good relationship with the Cadet dealer as far as the purchases and servicing of some of our smaller equipment. I've only talked briefly with him about his new tractor line at the last Farm & Garden Show where they had a booth with a couple of the Cadet tractors set up. Looked like good machines at the time, but I wanted to do a little more research and comparison shopping before actually going in to see him.

Some of the reviews I read in tracorbynet.com were not favorable for the Cub Cadet and it turned me away early on. Same with one of the first Mahindra reviews I read, but it seems like you can find good and bad reviews on just about any machine out there.

All my dealings with other brands has been over the phone or internet. The Kubota owners I know (3) have all given high marks to the Kubota dealer in town. Their only complaints have been that it's sloooow, but it sounds like perhaps they've worked that out. From internet reviews, it sounds like they're getting too plastic, cheap and flimsy compared to their older machines, especially the B series. One of the reasons I went back to looking at the Mahindra, Kioti and Bransons. Now it sounds like I should seriously consider the Cub Cadet/Yanmar line again as well.

Feels like I've gone full circle...

06-10-2008, 17:46 Post: 154472
kwschumm

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Oh no, the plastic vs. metal debate So Sad

I used to like metal, now I like plastic. Plastic doesn't dent or rust. Metal feels more substantial and you can always learn to enjoy doing bodywork.

Around here, working in the woods, the metal tractors always look beat up.

06-10-2008, 18:55 Post: 154473
Hambrospiper

Filter by User

That was my first thought. My old rusty 9N's looking pretty lumpy.

06-10-2008, 19:46 Post: 154479
candoarms

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Hambrospiper,

Most people settle for a smaller machine, simply because they want to use it for mowing and other yard work, where a larger tractor would tear up the lawn.

Since you don't need your tractor for lawn work, you might want to with the Kubota L Series -- a much larger machine.

Parts aren't hard to come by. Kubota offers a huge line of parts. Most common items will be stocked by your local dealers, but nearly every part is available if you're willing to wait about a week.

Kubota is one of the few tractor manufacturers who design and build their own parts......and every part. Most other manufacturers contract with other companies to make their parts, and a whole lot of those contracts eventually expire, or the contracting manufacturers go belly up during the middle of a production run. This is big problem in the industry.....with the exception of Kubota. You'll be able to get parts for your Kubota for many, many years to come.

If I were in your shoes, I'd be looking at tractors in the 40-50 horsepower range, such as the Kubota L4630.

I congratulate you for taking the time to research this, prior to buying a tractor. Far too many people join this site after they've purchased something, only to discover that they could have made a better choice.

Good luck, and happy tractor hunting. Shopping is more than half the fun!

Joel

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Other Tractor Brands Forum

Thread 154460 Filter by Poster:
Art White 2 | auerbach 2 | bvance 1 | candoarms 3 | DRankin 2 | Hambrospiper 13 | kthompson 4 | kwschumm 2 | yooperpete 1 |

Most Viewed

+ Task Master Tractors.Are they any good??
+ Branson Tractor Review
+ Mahindra are they good review
+ Branson vs. Century
+ What about Mccormick tractors?
+ Leaf vacuum for catagory I three point
+ New to me Bolens Tractor
+ Mahindra - Starting problems
+ TYM and Terramite Tractors
+ FarmTrac 300DTC

Most Discussion

+ Task Master Tractors.Are they
+ TIME TO START MAHINDRA DISCUSS