Mahindra - Starting problems: Other Tractor Brands  -- Other Tractor Brands Discussion Forum and Review Mahindra - Starting problems: Other Tractor Brands -- Other Tractor Brands Discussion Forum

parts   |   manuals   |   discussion   |   photos   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   contact   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index
New As Posted | Active Subjects

www.emerichsales.com - New & Used Equipment
          View Tractors For Sale!

www.partsbynet.com - Lawn and Garden Equipment Parts

Bernardsville Landscape Lighting
Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Other Tractor Brands Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 01-05-2008, 20:58 Post: 149915
dnsmithnc

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 Mahindra - Starting problems

I have a 2000 Mahindra 4500 with around 325 hrs. Lately, the tractor barely turns over when I turn the ignition. The battery is new and fully charged. Cables are clean and attached well.

I was thinking maybe the starter is dragging. If so, how hard, expensive is this to fix. If not the starter, what else?

Also, I have a 5 gallon container of diesel that I had from the summer that now has a LARGE chunk of ice in it. There was no way that water could have got into the container other than through the nozzle where I bought the fuel from. Has anybody had a similar problem of buying contaminated fuel like this. What could this do to my tractor. It seems to run okay but, I am worried about long term effects.

Thanks

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us | Stumble This

01-05-2008, 21:37 Post: 149919
kwschumm

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

What does the battery voltage measure when it's not cranking and then when it is cranking? I don't know how the cables connect on that tractor but if the starter isn't well grounded it will cause problems. Does it never crank well? Or only when cold or hot?

01-05-2008, 23:45 Post: 149925
dnsmithnc

Filter by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwschumm | view 149919
What does the battery voltage measure when it's not cranking and then when it is cranking? I don't know how the cables connect on that tractor but if the starter isn't well grounded it will cause problems. Does it never crank well? Or only when cold or hot?

It does turn over a little better when it is warm but, it does not spin nearly as well as it did when I got it with about 225 hrs. I mean, the last time I tried to start it, it just barely turned over. Again, brand new titanium battery from Advance Auto which is their highest grade, cables clean and well connected.

I had a the same grade battery from Advance before in this tractor and it did fine until recently when the tractor began having this problem. I thought the battery was bad, took it in and they gave me another new one. Same problem.

Any suggestions how to proceed with a diagnosis would be appreciated.

01-06-2008, 00:22 Post: 149930
kwschumm

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

I don't know your tractor but some of these questions *assume* a negative ground. What does the positive battery cable connect to? What does the negative battery cable connect to? If the negative cable connects to the chassis the starter has to get the ground from somewhere. Is there a ground strap from the chassis to the engine? Is it in real good shape, with real clean (not rusted) and tight connections? If the positive cable connects to the starter what happens if you use a jumper cable to connect the negative battery terminal directly to an engine ground? Does it crank faster? The voltage measurements I mentioned before are relevant. If the battery measures 12.6V when you're not cranking and drops to 8-10 volts when cranking then there is excessive resistance somewhere. Might be due to a bad starter or bad starter ground.

01-06-2008, 00:59 Post: 149934
dnsmithnc

Filter by User

Thanks kwschumm. I'll check it out using your suggestions. I'll let you know how it turns out. That is one thing I like doing is providing the problem and solution once it is found.

01-06-2008, 01:28 Post: 149936
candoarms

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Dns,

I recently heard that North Carolina has received some snow, and that it has been fairly cold in your area.

May I ask what the temperature was when you last tried starting your tractor?

Many thanks.

Joel

01-06-2008, 08:06 Post: 149942
kleinchris

Filter by User

Once again, Oggens Razor. Cold enough to have a chunk of ice in a can of diesel.

01-06-2008, 15:05 Post: 149944
dnsmithnc

Filter by User

Hi Joel,

It might have snowed in the mountains but not in the piedmont where I am at. It was certainly cold enough to snow a few days back with low temperatures in the high teens in some areas close by.

But even today, with temperatures in the low 60s, the tractor doesn't turn over nearly as fast as it did when I got it. When the temperature was hovering around freezing the tractor would just barely turn over. I mean it was to the point where there was some hesitation between revolutions. Something else is definitely going on.

01-06-2008, 16:32 Post: 149945
candoarms

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Dns,

It's obvious that you have power going to the starter, but this is not an indication of having a proper connection.

Any loose electrical connection causes a whole lot of resistance. This will cause a voltage drop to the starter, as well as eating up a huge amount of current.

Starters call for huge current draws. If you don't have the proper amount of current available, the starter will have a difficult time turning the engine over.

I'm all but sure that you have a loose connection in the starter circuit. It could be a wire on the solenoid, or even the ground wire going to the tractor's frame. In most cases involving a weak starter, the ground wire is the culprit, but it could be either wire, and any connection.

Corroded terminals will cause the same problems. Oxidized terminals also act like resistors.

I'd clean and reinstall all of the large wires in the starter circuit. Take a wire brush to both connections at each terminal. Brush the electrical terminal on the wire, as well as the connecting terminal at both ends of each wire.

If this doesn't solve the problem, my next suggestion would be to take your starter in and have it checked out on the bench. You could have a weak connection internally.

Joel

01-07-2008, 00:18 Post: 149962
kleinchris

Filter by User

dnsmithnc,
with the info you have given, this sounds like nothing more than cold weather/ cold engine problems. First, you mentioned 0 degrees- F or C? cause if you talking 0 F there are a lot of machines that wont turn over perdiod in that kind of temp. Second, you mentioned that the tractor was still turning over slowly when the temp warmed up- that could be do to draining power from the battery back when it was 0 degrees. Or, how cold was it the night before? Steel won't warm up as quickly as the day does.

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Other Tractor Brands Forum

Thread 149915 Filter by Poster:
auerbach 1 | candoarms 4 | dnsmithnc 9 | jeff6575 2 | jkmoye 1 | kleinchris 2 | kthompson 3 | kwschumm 3 | yooperpete 1 |

Most Viewed

+ Task Master Tractors.Are they any good??
+ Branson Tractor Review
+ Mahindra are they good review
+ Branson vs. Century
+ What about Mccormick tractors?
+ Leaf vacuum for catagory I three point
+ New to me Bolens Tractor
+ Mahindra - Starting problems
+ TYM and Terramite Tractors
+ FarmTrac 300DTC

Most Discussion

+ Task Master Tractors.Are they
+ TIME TO START MAHINDRA DISCUSS