PTO Information 
: Other Tractor Brands  -- Other Tractor Brands Discussion Forum and Review PTO Information : Other Tractor Brands -- Other Tractor Brands Discussion Forum

parts   |   manuals   |   discussion   |   photos   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   contact   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index
New As Posted | Active Subjects

www.emerichsales.com - New & Used Equipment
          View Tractors For Sale!

www.partsbynet.com - Lawn and Garden Equipment Parts

Bernardsville Landscape Lighting
Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Other Tractor Brands Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 02-07-1999, 00:00 Post: 1047
Daryl

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster
 PTO Information

I'd appreciate some advise on live PTO. We have a 44 acre hunting farm with about 8 acres we are using a bushhog to keep clear. We only do a little plowing. My question is this, I've looked at the Kubota L2500 but this doesn't have live power, the dealer say a overrun clutch can be added. We currently use an old Massey 25 that's about to give up the gost. I understand that live power is when you push in the clutch power to the PTO stops. What is the disadvantage of not having live power. Thanks for your help.

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us | Stumble This

02-07-1999, 00:00 Post: 1049

Filter by User
 PTO Information

If you are doing a lot of bush-hogging get live pto. What happens without live pto every time you shift the bush-hog stops thus leaving uncut grass. I don't know much about the overiding clutch but if they work I say go for the L2500 they are a great tractor for the price.

02-07-1999, 00:00 Post: 1053

Filter by User
 PTO Information

Mike is correct that grass will be left uncut as the PTO winds down when you push the clutch in if its a single stage unit. For mowing in tight places or on a hill, where you can't go sideways, a single stage clutch is much more tricker as you have to engage the clutch (i.e. the tractor begins to move) to get the PTO to power up the mower. On a dual stage clutch, you back the mower into where ever, stop and drop the mower while it's fully powered up, then fully engage the clutch to go forward. Clean cut every time.The down side is that the clutch is MUCH expensive to repair.If you get a tractor with a single stage clutch, definately consider an over running clutch as on a mower, the momentum of the blades will turn the pto and then on to your gears, even if you have the clutch depressed. This will push you forward, sometimes into places you don't want to go (over an embankment, into something/someone, you get the picture). They cost about $60 and attach to the end of the pto shaft. Keep them well greased.Lee

02-07-1999, 00:00 Post: 1059
Jeff in NC

Filter by User
 PTO Information L2500

The L2500 is already equipped with an over running clutch internally (no it will not "push" the tractor). No need to add one on externally. I use my L2500 with a finish mower and a "bush hog". True the PTO is no longer drive when you step on the clutch but I have found that the cutter (or finish mower) spins a whole lot longer than it takes to change gears so it will keep cutting. I was concerned at first about the lack of live PTO but I have not missed it yet.Jeff in NC

02-07-1999, 00:00 Post: 1060
Jeff in NC

Filter by User
 PTO Information L2500

The L2500 is a great tractor for the money. The DT (4wd) includes power steering. I've got a Kubota brochure on it some where around here if you don't have one (and want to look at it). E-mail me and I'll scan it in and send it to ya. Jeff in NC

02-10-1999, 00:00 Post: 1082

Filter by User
 PTO Information L2500/mower?

How big is the finish mower you are using, and is it rear mount? If its rear, any tips on buying a rear deck?

02-10-1999, 00:00 Post: 1088
Jeff in NC

Filter by User

I'm using a 72" Farm King Finishing mower. It has has 4 pneumatic tires and an anti scalp roller. It is a side discharge unit. I am very pleased with it. Tractor has plenty of power for it. The quality of the cut looks better than the old riding mower. It took a time or two of mowing with it to get use to a mower behind instead of underneath. I'm use to it now and rarely look back now. If I had it to do over again I might have purchased a rear discharge so it could get close to things on both sides. I didn't get a mid mount because they are a "pain" to remove and cost quite a bit more. I use a 4' rotary cutter for some uncleared stuff I'm trying to reclaim fom the black berry bushes and various other vines. It handles the 4' unit in the thickes of stuff with ease. I have seen some others are using a 5' rotary cutter "bush hog" with theirs. IMO I think a 5' would be fine. I don't use the rotary cutter that often so the extra foot is not missed. After reading about the guy with the "dusted" excavator engine on the KTMB I e-mailed my dealer (Carver Equipment) and bought a dual element air filter. It may be over kill but it can be dusty when mowing at times and it is not a BIG expense some where about $100. I didn't think I could justify a loader to the wife when I bought the tractor so I didn't get one then. Will be getting one with the ole tax refund in the next couple of months.Jeff in NC

02-12-1999, 00:00 Post: 1098

Filter by User

Thanks for the feedback. I took delivery on a used L2350 last night, and I need to buy a mower. I have a mid-mount on my Yanmar, and it is a pain to put on and take off. With the limited ground clearance, it is necessary to take it off for some jobs. The person I bought the 2350 from had a 6 footer on the back, and claimed it worked fine. So, I will start looking around for a rear mower. I really wanted a loader, but ditto on the wife! When you find a used unit with loader, they are beat up!

02-12-1999, 00:00 Post: 1102

Filter by User

Just curious steve how much did you get it for?

02-15-1999, 00:00 Post: 1133

Filter by User

I paid the $8500 for it. Thing is, after I got it home, cleaned it up, and seen it in the daylight, it is not as "clean" as I first thought (I bought it at night).It seems good mechanically, it just hasn't had the care I thought, like dentsin the hood, a little rust, things like that. I guess the moral is, look it over in the daylight!Steve

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Other Tractor Brands Forum

Thread 1047 Filter by Poster:
6 | bruce beitz 1 | Dana Brigham 1 | Daryl 1 | Jeff in NC 3 |

Most Viewed

+ Task Master Tractors.Are they any good??
+ Branson Tractor Review
+ Mahindra are they good review
+ Branson vs. Century
+ What about Mccormick tractors?
+ Leaf vacuum for catagory I three point
+ New to me Bolens Tractor
+ Mahindra - Starting problems
+ TYM and Terramite Tractors
+ FarmTrac 300DTC

Most Discussion

+ Task Master Tractors.Are they
+ TIME TO START MAHINDRA DISCUSS