Go Bottom Go Bottom

Nortrac 204C Tractor hydraulic and pto problem

View my Photos
kawidoo
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2011-04-25          178155

Need some help with my nortrac 204c. 1st problem: York rake will not stay up, slowly creeps down. 2nd, Hyd fluid seems at normal level pours out of full vent after tractor's been operating for a while??. 3rd problem, after using tractor for a while I start losing my steering. Im thinking this some how is all related. Can someone please help... thanks

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2011-04-25          178156

Only related in that they're hydraulic problems.
1. rear lift needs a cylinder repair kit. Inexpensive and simple to install, just a little messy
2. hydraulic fluid will spill out the fill vent when going up steep hills. If it does it all the time, you've over-filled it. The level is supposed to be checked WITHOUT screwing the dipstick back into the hole. Just remove it, wipe it, set it ON the hole, remove and check level. I never added fluid to mine unless/until the dipstick came out dry. Also - always lower FEL and TPH with the engine running. If you do it when the pump's not turning, you'll also overfill the hydraulic sump
3. steering priority valve probably needs cleaning. Some call it a diverter valve. It's located in front and to the left of your brake pedals.

//greg// ....

View my Photos
kawidoo

2011-04-25          178157

Thanks greg for your help, called northern tools a little while ago and they said it sounds like I need a new Hyd pump... $177. Steering seems to get worse as the fluid gets hoter, nothern also told me to adjust the pump speed, a knob under seat. Maybe pumping to slow or to fast, does that sound right?? ....

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2011-04-25          178159

"Sounds like" wouldn't be good enough for me. I recommend you go through those 3 steps I listed above before making what could possibly turn out to be an unnecessary $177 expenditure. I'm going to respectfully suggest that part of that amount would be better spent buying the NorTrac manuals specific to your tractor.

And there is no "pump adjustment", I can't believe they told you that ! The "knob under the seat" is the flow control valve. All it does is regulate the volume of fluid flowing back into the sump. Like when the loader is lowered, the bucket dumped, and the rear hitch lowered. Specifically the rear hitch. The idea is that you want a slower return flow when heavy implements are mounted, and a faster flow for lighter implements. It has NOTHING to do with the problems you describe.

Your topic title by the way, indicates you have a PTO problem too. But so far you've not described one.

//greg// ....

View my Photos
kawidoo

2011-04-25          178160

Thanks again, Yeah I guess my title should have said rear lift problem... sorry.

yes I just ordered the manual.I will look into those three steps. Thanks again for taking the time to answer my post. ....

View my Photos
kawidoo

2011-04-29          178250

Got my owner's manual and HYD lifter rebuild kit today. looks pretty involved, around 12 O rings, 2 Teflon rings, a couple of oil seals and 3 gaskets. looking at the manual it only shows the break down. was wondering if I can get away with just rebuilding the cylinder and piston or does that whole assembly need to be taken apart. if so... where can I find a shop manual or rebuilding procedures. ....

View my Photos
greg_g

2011-04-29          178252

I'm not sure what 12 O-rings is all about, but I note that you used the term "rebuild". It was a repair kit that I recommended, not a rebuild kit. I wouldn't expect a cylinder repair kit to have more than 2 large O-rings (about 63mm) and 2 wipers (the white ones). Some cylinders take only 1 O-ring a 2 wipers. Might you have ordered the wrong kit? Or perhaps have been sent the wrong kit?

//greg// ....

View my Photos
kawidoo

2011-04-30          178253

It was inexpensive, has all the O rings for the entire power lift assembly. It does include the O rings and wipers for the cylinder, So it looks to me that I might just have more then I need. Can you help me out with the repair procedures, or give me some direction. Looking at the diagram, looks like you have to remove the cylinder cap, pull out cylinder and piston and replace the O rings and wiper. Does that sound about right?? Im going to drain the HYD fluid before I pull cylinder and replace the HYD filter. Is there any procedure on bleeding after I put it all back together and add new HYD fluid?? ....

View my Photos
greg_g

2011-04-30          178258

As you probably know, AW32 hydraulic fluid is as clear as - and almost a thin as - water. If what you drain out is thick, milky, discolored - give serious thought to flushing the system before pouring clean fluid into a dirty sump.

And sounds like you've already sussed out the right game plan regarding the cylinder repair. So I don't think you need any more help from me on that front. Regarding all those other parts in the rebuild kit, put'em on your spares shelf. I'd say they fall into the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" category right now.

These systems are vented, which means self-priming. Give the vent/fill plug a good bath in diesel fuel, and use compressed air to make sure the vents are open. After you top up a clean system, just exercise the hydraulics. There will be erratic operation for a brief period, while the circuits purge themselves of air (through the vent you just cleaned).

//greg// ....

View my Photos
kawidoo

2011-05-01          178269

Thanks greg, I'll let you know how I make out. As always thanks for the help. So glad I found this forum...
Kawidoo ....

View my Photos
kawidoo

2011-06-04          178823

Replaced the o-rings and scrapers on the lift piston and now.... no more problems, stays in the up position at all times. still havent looked into the steering proplem yet. Not really sure what im looking for??? ....

View my Photos
greg_g

2011-06-04          178825

3. steering priority valve probably needs cleaning. Some call it a diverter valve. It's located in front and to the left of your brake pedals.

//greg// ....

View my Photos
Huddleston

2013-10-28          188207

Just want you to realize that this is a job that takes quite a bit of mechanical knowledge.

It does seem that your main cylinder seal may be leaking, yet it could be that the direction valve isn't in its correct position. I was mowing my field when I went down into a slight dip and I notice that the lift didn't work. What I thought was the main cylinder lift inner seal blew out. This will cause the lift not to raise the implement. I went ahead and order the kit. It had two scrapers and one rubber seal that fit around a piston that fits into the cylinder that is about three inches round and 5 inches long.

It will not come all the way of the cylinder unless you take the complete reservoir off the tractor. You can take it apart which will consist of all those seals that fit into the hydraulic lines that bolt to the sides of the reservoir. I used the old ones. You can order a complete set of seals from harbor freight that is lot cheaper than from anyone else.

To remove the piston from the cylinder will take a quite a bit of work and time to remove. You will have to remove the back compressor spring on the back of the reservoir this will let you get into the guts of the reservoir. Before you do all this I would check the value stem that controls the up and down of the lift. I found out the this hydraulic fluid has a tendency to collect water from the heat buildup in the system. The stem is made from a metal that easily rust. If there is water buildup in the bottom of the reservoir the block of metal that holds the stem will sit in the water and rust. The stem will gradually stick and will not open or close all the way. If you take off the seat and remove the plate that sits on top of the reservoir you will see that the oil completely covers the mechanical mechanism.

You will need to remove this oil to work on the system. It would have been nice if they installed a drain on the reservoir. I just pumped mine out. You will notice that the draft and lift controls come through the side and operate some levers and springs. The springs make sure that the levers have enough tension against the stem and control levers.

Before removing anything I would get a camera and take pictures of each part that you remove so that you know how to re-install it. Before removing any parts look down into the control levers to see if it is push up against a piece of metal about the size of a nickel this will be the head of the valve stem that controls the lift of the tractor.

Mine was stuck inside of the block that lets the oil go through the cylinder. You will notice the springs and the springs fit against the lever and the lever is push against the stem head. There is a spring inside of the block that will push the stem out to let the lift down. Your lever pushes the stem in to raise the unit. The stem is a direction valve that controls which way the oil flows into the cylinder. What happen with me is that I removed everything in the reservoir except the cylinder which can't be removed unless you remove the reservoir from the tractor.

Anyhow, what I'm stating is that my issue was with the stem being stuck in the direction block. I removed all of these parts and placed them on the table. I had to put about ten pounds of air to blow the piston out of the cylinder. You can not remove the piston out of the cylinder because the back of the reservoir will block it.

You can go head and replace the the scraper and rubber seal. I notice that if it took that much pressure to blow it out that it couldn't be bad. A bad seal would let the air bypass and you would hear a hiss. Anyway I had removed all the parts, which took me about 16 hours to remove and repair and replace. If I just removed the direction block that had the stem in it I would have saved 13 hours or more. I remove the direction block, took it apart and notice that the stem was stuck in it.

I really didn't know exactly how it was suppose to look until I check it
out noticed that the stem wouldn't come out. I set it in a vise and took some channel locks and worked it back and forth until it came out. Looking at it I noticed all the rust. I used a 3/8 round brass brush on the direction block and I used 1000 grade emery cloth on the stem. Put it all back together and it works like a charm.

I cleaned the filter and refilled with new oil. I didn't use any new seals or gaskets. Started it up to make sure it had no leaks. Like I said I wished that it had a pipe coming out of the back of the reservoir to drain the fluid. From now on I will place a clear hose into the filler hole and remove the oil to see if it has water in it.

My tractor is a 304 b model and I couldn't find any oil filters. I talked with a man at affordable tractor parts and bought an adapter where I can use an American oil filter instead of paying a high price for a filter that is hard to find. The adapter cost 50 bucks, the Chinese filter cost 23 dollars. No brainer. Hope this helps. Send me your email and I will send you my pictures of the unit.

Stanley

From the back of the reservoir looking toward the front of the tractor you will see that there are two large ....

View my Photos
jayshu

2015-04-15          192564

Hi,may I ask, is the steering priority valve at the base of the steering column? and can you clean it in place with the lines off? Never done this before...on mine, the steering wheel never stops turning like it should when the steering the wheels are turned all the way left or right. Gets worse when hot.Thanks for your time! ....

View my Photos
Huddleston

2015-04-16          192565

You can find quite a few pictures and messages if you look for the name Huddleston up in the upper right side of the page. They will show you the power steering and the pto reservoir and some of the issues that your having. ....

View my Photos
jayshu

2015-04-17          192577

Is the diverter valve at the base of the steering column?, and can it be cleaned in place? Nortrac spoke if an orbital which I am guessing is the same thing. ....

View my Photos
Huddleston

2015-04-18          192582

I noted this earlier, however I went ahead and placed it below.

http://tractorpoint.com/results.php?cx=partner-pub-6780862062946639%3A1071103289&cof=FORID%3A10&ie=UTF-8&q=huddleston&sa=Search

this address should take you to a page in which may help you with your problems, just highlight the address and cut and paste it to the address bar at the top and hit enter. If it doesn't work just type Huddleston in the search bar. ....

Link:   

Click Here

View my Photos
greg_g

2015-04-20          192603

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayshu | view 192577
Is the diverter valve at the base of the steering column?, and can it be cleaned in place? Nortrac spoke if an orbital which I am guessing is the same thing.
Two different things, two different purposes.
I think what you're referring to as a diverter valve is the PV or priority valve. It's what diverts hyd fluid from the main circuit to the power steering pump controller sub circuit. PV is usually painted black, and can be found just forward and slightly left of the brake pedals. The steering controller is at the base of the steering column, and I'm pretty sure what your calling orbitals are inside the controller.

You can remove and disassemble the PV for cleaning, but I don't know of anyone who's attempted to remove a steering controller. If you've ever done a kerosene flush of the hydraulic system, you'll be cleaning the steering controller in the process.

//greg// ....

View my Photos
jayshu

2015-04-25          192651

thanks for that tip> I will try the flush first thing. IT's just a bit strange...when you turn the steering wheel all the way to the right or left it doesn't come to a stop like it used to. I have heavier hydro oil in it then called for and at the end of summer I plan to change that anyway. Here in TN is gets really hot and humid. ....

View my Photos
Catsquirell

2015-06-30          193037

Greg, This lady i do work for hit a stump with her nt-204c while bush-hogging and now the pto will jump out of gear where the 540/1000 rpm lever is when your working the tractor, I tried looking in the manual but it dont show a breakdown of the pto gears. Any suggestions? ....

View my Photos
Huddleston

2015-06-30          193038

There are pictures outlining your issue with the power steering slave unit.

You will only use a few of the seals, they send you enough to cover other type of units.

Go to the right side of the page and type in Huddleston, you will get a list of pictures and messages which might help you with your problems. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login