Go Bottom Go Bottom

Replacing Hydraulic lift cylinder

View my Photos
hlmacy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2010-02-23          168763

I an in the process of replacing a hydraulic lift cylinder on my NorTrac 204C. I am loooking for any advice from anyone who may have some experience at this or may know about replacing these cylinders. Also I am having a problem raising the loader and believe there maybe additional problems that need addressing. Any information on this would be absolutely appreciated and helpful. I would also like any suggestions as to what to use to cap the hydraulic system to prevent moisture or other things entering the system. Finally I would like to know if rebuilding the bad cylinder would be better than scrapping it.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-02-23          168764

You don't want to "cap" the system, it must remain vented to stay self-priming. There are moisture inhibiting additives, but the best (and cheapest) solution is simply to minimize condensation. Exposing the hydraulic sump to a combination of humidity and heating/cooling cycles is the cause of moisture in most tractor hydraulic systems. Whereas keeping the machine in an air conditioned shelter all the time is impractical, at least select a dry parking place that will provide as much full-time shade as possible

Responding to the cylinder questions depends pretty much upon who made the loader. If it's Chinese, you're facing an uphill battle. If it's American aftermarket, you've a much better chance of coming up with reasonable solutions.

//greg// ....

View my Photos
hlmacy

2010-02-23          168765

Greg,
The loader is a Model NT620 and appears to be manufactured by Amerequip Corporation. I believe this is an aftermarket loader for Northern Tool. ....

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-02-23          168766

It would seem then to me that your starting point - if not Northern - should be the manufacturer (see link below). I'm pretty sure you'll find more folks rebuilding cylinders, than you find replacing them. Ameriquip can almost certainly steer your in the right direction of the proper seal kits.

When working on cylinders, secure the lines in a position so the exposed fittings just slightly above the sump line. That will stop them from dripping, and the fluid already IN the lines - will keep the water OUT. If fittings are to be disconnected and exposed for an extended period - like while awaiting parts - cover them with cellophane wrap held by rubber bands.

It might be wise to rebuild the cylinders first, then see how (or if) it affects any of the other issues you touched upon

//greg// ....

Link:   Ameriquip

View my Photos
hlmacy

2010-02-27          168855

Greg,
Thanks for all this information I will use the link you provided to help me get the right parts and information for the cylinder rebuild. You have been a big help and I thank you again. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login