Go Bottom Go Bottom

Lubricants for Nor-Trac Tractor

View my Photos
homesteader
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-10-16          157306

I have purchased a Nor-Trac 30hp Tractor. Acording to the manual after the 10hr break-in period I should change the engine oil, transmission fluid. and hydraulic oil. I had no problem finding the engine oil but can not find the transmission fluid. (API CF/SL 30W)or the hydraulic oil (AW/AL Hydraulic ISO 32-SAE 10. I would appreciate any help I can get. I really would hate to mess any thing up at this stage. It seems that the more I read the manual the more mixed up I get. Thanks

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-10-16          157308

They can't make anything simple, can they~!? Depending on how hot it gets in your part of VA, you can use 80W90 gear oil in the front diff, creeper or shuttle (if so equipped), the tranny, and the rear diff. If your July/August get as hot as it does here, you might want to make that 85W140.

Hydraulic fluid is plain old AW32. But make sure the label specifies hydraulic fluid. Some new folks have mistakenly used AW32 machine oil.

But when you do the change sorta depends on whether or not Northern left the original fluids in. You can tell the Chinese fluids, because they look like somebody puked in the sumps. They may be green, brown, yellow - and almost certainly thick and milky looking. Some folks have even reported them to have curdled. If they look like normal petroleum fluids, then Northern probably drained the Chinese stuff and put in American.

Long story short, change Chinese fluids NOW. If they're American, wait till 50 hours - when it's also time to retorque the head and adjust the valve lash

///greg/// ....

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-10-16          157312

A buyer of a new tractor from an established retailer is entitled to a clear manual or at least support from the seller where it's ambiguous. We're glad to help, but Northern should have saved you the trouble of asking us. ....

View my Photos
candoarms

2008-10-16          157313

Homesteader,

Here's an AW/AL ISO 32 hydraulic oil for you.

See the link below.

Joel

Link:   Mystik Hydraulic Oil AW/AL ISO 32 by Citgo

View my Photos
candoarms

2008-10-16          157314

Homesteader,

I'm guessing that ISO 32 is the MINIMUM grade of oil that you should be using in your tractor. It just so happens that ISO 32 is just the bare minimum grade.

Note:

Designation AW = Anti-Wear
Designation AL = Anti-Leak

You could easily move up to a higher grade ISO 46, as this would provide you with greater peace of mind. It's a higher quality hydraulic oil.

For more protection, better performance, higher temperature ratings, better cold weather operation, etc......use ISO 46 or even ISO 68 lubricants.

See the link below.

Joel ....

Link:   AW/AL ISO 46 Hydraulic Oil

View my Photos
greg_g

2008-10-16          157318

Quote:
Originally Posted by candoarms | view 157314
I'm guessing
Yes Joel, you are. The number has nothing to do with "grade", it's an indicator of viscosity. The higher the number, the thicker the viscosity. The ISO is an international (primarily western) standards organization, just as SAE is an American standards organization. ISO viscosities range from ISO2 (thin) to ISO1500 (thick). In this country, ISO and AW are used interchangeably. AW32 happens to be a SAE 10W (10 weight) equivalent. Switching to AW46 of AW68 simply moves you up to 20W territory

//greg// ....

Picture Link
Jinma Farmpro Agracat Nortrac Lubricants for Nor-Trac Tractor

View my Photos
Paul161
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2009-03-05          160801

Get your numbers together from your tractors manual. Go to a "Tractor Supply" store and look up the numbers for your recommended oil. My 60 hp uses mostly the same Hyd oils used for Massey Ferguson's. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login