Go Bottom Go Bottom

Nortrac NT304C 4wd shifter stiff stuck

View my Photos
sjrogers1
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-08-09          144506

We have a NT304C. The 4wd shifter has been real hard to shift, sometimes impossible. I have the shifter out now and will be taking it to a machine shop to hopefully modify and fix. With lubrication the shifter will again move. Any suggestions?
Steve

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-08-09          144513

Northern sells a confusing spectrum of tractors. Is your lever connected by cable or connected by conventional finger and fork ?

//greg// ....

View my Photos
sjrogers1

2007-08-09          144553

Coventional lever connected to a fork.
Steve ....

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-08-09          144565

I don't have access to the manual right now to confirm this. But if your gear oil level is correct, that mechanism should get sufficient splash lubrication. Check the pivot for binding. Alternatively, the finger could have jumped out of the fork. Depending upon which side it jumped out on, it could be binding the fork on the rail.

The rails themselves should have detentes; one for forward, one for reverse. It's typically a spring-pin-ball arrangement where spring pressure holds the ball in a rail detent. Sometimes the ball will drop behind the rail and jam it up.

//greg// ....

View my Photos
sjrogers1

2007-08-11          144617

The shift mechanism is intact. No parts out of place. I can move the shifter with a lot of effort. Does it help to shift with the tractor in motion? I'm having a machine shop take the shift mechanism apart. He may drill an oil passage into the spring and ball passage, don't know what he will decide.
Steve ....

View my Photos
greg_g

2007-08-11          144618

Ok, I understand the problem now. Engaging the front diff with that lever is no different than engaging the diff lock. The wheels must make sometimes as much as one quarter revolution before the respective engagements take place.

So yes, engage the front diff with the 2wd/4wd select left while the tractor is moving slowly in either direction. It's permissible to turn the steering wheel while doing this. When engaging the diff lock though, it's important to keep the tractor moving in a straight line - or driveline damage could occur.

//greg// ....

View my Photos
sjrogers1

2007-09-25          146073

I took the shifter apart and replaced the shifting fork. The tractor now shifts as it did when new. The shifting fork had some wear marks.
Steve ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-09-25          146082

The worn fork, to me, is a cause for concern. I would expect it to happen again, and probably sooner now that the oil is laden with metal particles. The gear is likely poorly machined and has, and will be, chewing up the new fork. That means you'll have metal filings-contaminated oil from both forks. I suggest you change the hydraulic filters and the fluid. Otherwise, you will likely have pump wear/failure in the near future if the filter media isn't doing it's job (goes into bypass) or the micron size is large enough to allow contaminates to pass. For example, the wear you saw on the fork...the inside of the pump may look like that too. ....

View my Photos
chipuren

2007-09-28          146189

More likely the fork got slightly bent trying to engage the front wheel drive. once bent the forks stayed rubbing on one side of the grove in the sliding gear. NO worry with hydraulic filter as the oil in the transmission has nothing to do with hydraulics, no pumps to worry about either. it is a simple splash lube. Most of these tractors have a magnet at the bottom to collect metal fragments, but not sure on this 304 assuming it is jinma. we have seen a couple of 2430 Farm pros with stiff shifting front wheel drive and new forks cured them. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login