Go Bottom Go Bottom

TC33 SMOKING AT TIME OF TEST DRIVE

View my Photos
LOU
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

1999-08-07          6720

I AM INTERESTED IN BUYING A NEW TC33D. WHEN I WENT TO TEST DRIVE THE UNIT, IT SMOKED MILDLY FOR THE ENTIRE FIFTEEN MINUTES I DROVE IT (I HAVE NOT SEEN THIS WITH DEERE OR KUBOTA). NOTE THIS WAS AT 2000 RPM'S, ALTHOUGH IT SMOKED AT ALL ENG. SPEEDS. WHEN I ASKED THE DEALER ABOUT IT HE QUICKLY SAID IT WILL DEMINISH DURING BREAKIN AND THEN HE CHANGED THE SUBJECT. FROM READING OTHER POSTS ABOUT THE 1925'S AND THEIR SMOKING PROBLEMS AND ASSOCIATED DEALER SERVICE PROBLEMS, I AM WORRIED. DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THE TC SERIES HAS THE SAME PROBLEMS AS THE OLDER BOOMER SERIES. ARE THERE ANY OTHER PROBLEMS WITH THE TC'S. HAS NH CUSTOMER SERVICE IMPROVED?I REALLY LIKE THIS TRACTOR. I WAS THINKING ABOUT A KUBOTA 3010 WITH R4'S, BUT THE TIRES ARE SO LARGE THAT ALL THE IMPLIMENTS HAVE TO BE 72". THE TC33 HAS MORE POWER AND IS MORE COMPACT, AND COSTS LESS.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Jon

1999-08-09          6761

This is the same problem I found when testing the NH boomers. This is partly because it has indirect injection. Do yourself a favor and look at the B2710 Kubota or simalar Deere. It's not that the NH is not a good machine but there are better! ....

View my Photos
Kevin_SC

1999-08-09          6765

I also looked at the NH boomer tractors. After driving the NH, the Deere 4000 series and the Kubota's. I bought a Kubota L3010 HST. And LOVE IT. The 3010 is only 157 pounds more than the TC33 and with larger R4 tires the weight is dispersed more evenly. I cut my lawn (whats left of it with this drought), loader work, landscaping.....etc. The tractor is great and the HST trans. is more than great. Good luck ....

View my Photos
Rodney

1999-08-09          6769

Funny, my new TC18 does not have a smoking issue and everything on it is as good as or better than Kubota or JD for less $. ....

View my Photos
greg h

1999-08-09          6773

to clear up one issue the Kubota uses indirect injection and they dont smoke. the bottom line is something wasnt right with that tractor. all the compacts are great but noone makes all perfect machines. the dealer is suspect, honest??also to the one with the superior tc18, i doubt it is any better than the others. i bought a Kubota but dont have the mistake thateveryone else has inferior equipment. just be careful what you buy, dont be color blind. Good luck!!! ....

View my Photos
Rodney

1999-08-09          6774

Sorry Greg. Re-read my post. Did not mean to imply that others had inferior equipment. By in my investigation, the features available for the $ I had available, the NH was best. I can't even remember what color it is. ....

View my Photos
Joe Konecny

1999-08-09          6790

I picked up a MFWD JD855 with hydro, JD70A loader, JD 72" belly mower, turf tires (fronts are worn) and 4 new ag tires for $11000.The unit shows 1200 hours but the meter doesn't work anymore. Looks clean, runs great. No clomplaints. Not sure what year itis. But did I get screwed by not knowing the actual hours? What symptoms are there when the 855 gets worn out? ....

View my Photos
out back jack

1999-08-09          6791

if you think the 55 series is built like a garden tractor then you also mustthink a 1/2 ton truck is the same as a 1 ton truck ! they both have the samedesign ! have you ever owned a 55 series? do you have any experience withcompact tractors? the 70 series is a larger frame and gear shift transmissionhowever, the 55 series hydro is as tough and dependable as any. go drive a955 and use it hard. this tractor will flip a kobota up side down and pulla ford/new holland in two! the 4000 series is nice but dont ever look down ona 55 series. there is more of these tractors out there than all the otherscombined. their dependibility records tell the story. one other thing. try toget parts for a kobota. good luck! ....

View my Photos
JimBinMI

1999-08-09          6792

I agree Rodney, I recently bought a TC18 and I wasn't color shopping. I just found in Southern Michigan that I could buy a TC18 for less than a B1700 or a B7300. More HP for less $. I love it and I too don't have a smoking problem, neither does the tractor. One point of comparison that I found interesting is the 3 - pt. lift capacity at 24" behind lift point: TC18 - 1265 lbs. JD4100 - 930 lbs. B7300 - 860 lbs. B1700,2100,2400 - 1015 lbs.This to me is an indication of strength of the entire unit and it impressed me. It also didn't hurt that when I bought New Holland Credit was offering one year same as cash! ....

View my Photos
Tom

1999-08-24          7280

NH customer service doesn't exist. Make sure you find a delaer who will stand by the product beacuse the factory doesn't care. ....

View my Photos
sam

1999-08-27          7399

I just bought a new tc33 boomer and it has yet to smoke it has r4 tires and frontend loader its a real machine. ....

View my Photos
Greg G. Gleinig

1999-09-03          7637

I bought a New Holland TC29D and so far has over 30 hours on it. Only smokes a bit when started, but after that, no smoke.As for New Holland customer service, it all depends on the dealer. I have bought some weights and a few attachments and have had no problems. They are even helpful when I call for stupid questions.My general opinion is, the New Holland Boomers are good machines.-Greg G. Gleinig ....

View my Photos
Dick

1999-09-22          8207

I have a new TC33D and it doesn't smoke at all. While comparison shopping I tested a variety of Boomer models and don't recall any noticable smoke except possible briefly when starting. I really like this machine, but a new one should not smoke and a responsible dealer should correct this. ....

View my Photos
Bill

2000-02-22          13080

Hi All, I had read this thread when it was first out back last year. I had a similar problem with my New Holland but there were a bunch of little problems which caused a difficult problem to diagnose. The unit would occasionally loose power, as though starving for fuel and sometimes would stall ( showed up in the shop before delivery). Well we went with the fuel injection cleaner first. Seemed solved but this really did nothing. Then the electric fuel pump was changed. Changed the symptoms, but still no cure. They then changed a bushing in the governor that was excessively tight(wasn't allowing the governor proper movement, and the motor was partially disassembled for this operation). This again changed the symptoms, made an improvement, but increased the visible smoke, (even though none of the adjustments were touched) but still no cure. They then changed everything from the tank to the injector pump, including lines and again the electric fuel pump. Again an improvemnet, but not completely cured. At this point they gave me a strong injector cleaner with lubricant. The power loss ceased, but I still had excessive smoke, as far as I could see. Well I called the service manager again, and he checked the book and found what was called a "Smoke Screw". He came yesterday and made the adjustment. As far as I can tell, this smoke screw is the air fuel adjustment setting(he agreed). My tractor had been just pumping to much fuel into the injectors after the surgery on the governor. Problems are all solved now, including the excessive smoke, over two years after I first took delivery. (Time laps was more a New Holland problem than the dealer. I don't think New Holland believed us for a long time as the problem was intermittent and the dealer couldn't get it to do it. Made them come to the house, and I got it to do it for them, different story ever since) The service manual says that you should see a grayish smoke from the exhaust on acceleration, but not any other time except under heavy load. And at no time should it smoke black while not under load at any RPM. So, anyone that is smoking black, see your dealer, and ask him to cut back on the fuel flow. Less carbon build up, less oil dilution by the fuel, less soot build up in the oil, better fuel economy and you won't stink as much after your done doing what you need to do!! Bill ....

View my Photos
Dave

2000-02-22          13083

Excellent post Bill. That explains a lot and eases the fears of a smoking Boomer. I'm seriously looking at them. Come to think of it, it's been a while since I've seen a smoking Boomer problem posted here on the CTB. They may have even made this adjustment at the factory after they got wind of it. Again, thanks for the good news. ....

View my Photos
Dave

2000-06-29          17564

Hey, same prob with my 25D. Took 30 seconds & a screwdriver to fix.
Found that I could have saved a good bit by shopping around, but the service & the local dealer here is very good. 5 years from now, I guess that means more than 1k at purchase.
dave. ....

View my Photos
squires

2011-04-29          178249

Hi Dave,

I have a TC33D and I just replaced the injectors. I am having the same black smoke problem. I can't seem to find the smoke screw. Can you give me some insight on where it is located?

Thank you,

Burt

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2011-04-30          178265

That was 11 years ago.

Just sayin'. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login