Go Bottom Go Bottom

New Holland TC45D Fluid leaks

View my Photos
Blueman
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-09-24          64709

I haven't been using my Boomer much lately, mostly finish mowing, but noticed on the wood floor of the barn a few drops of antifreeze, and some oil from the front axle. 135 hours, 1 month left of warranty...suggestions?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-09-24          64714

For starters, I would strip the cowlings and panels down and make note of the suspected leak areas to determine if possible where the leaks are or if they may be normal (such as coolant expansion venting)or you may luck out and find a loose fitting or clamp. Then give the tractor a thorough pressure washer cleaning and degreasing. Take the tractor out and operate it for an hour of so to get everything good and hot. Check these previously noted areas to see if they are indeed still leaking. The front axle should not be leaking oil. Is is possible that the oil on the axle is residue from the engine crankcase vent tube? The one on my Cummins makes a mess I have to clean every oil change. Contact your dealer to get these issues and concerns on the record so in the event he can't get you in right away; you are still covered under warranty since you brought these issues to their attention during the warranty period. ....

View my Photos
Blueman

2003-09-24          64717

Thanks, Chief, I see a lot of helpful info that you post on this site. I haven't had a chance to investigate further, but was concerned when I saw the leaks. I will check out the areas you mentioned, and let everyone know... ....

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2003-09-24          64734

I have a small antifreeze leak on my TC45. I have not found where it is coming from. My tractor is due for the 50 hour service, so I will let you know what I hear after they take a look at it.

I have just been keeping the radiator and reservoir topped off with fluid, but it is still annoying. I have lost not more than half a gallon of fluid in 50 hours, but I do occasionally see droplets on the floor.

View my Photos
TomG
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-09-25          64799

I used to use an old laundry product called liquid bluing to find leaks. A bottle in the rad and after some running the leak has a blue residue around it. I don't know if liquid bluing still exists or how it would mix with current coolants. It was a poor man's pressure test, which is a better way to find leaks. ....

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-09-25          64809

A little red food coloring might work well too. I personally would not wash the engine with a power washer. You dont want to cause more damage. It seems a split descion on to or not to power wash but with a pending warraty issue I sure wouldn't take any chances. Besides, once you remove your panels the areas where there is excessive areas of dirt/grime etc should be the ones that draw your attention when looking for a leak. If you wash it all away first if can leave you with fewer clues to the source of the problem. Especially with a collant leak. Some how high pressure spray and radiators seem like a poor idea. Dave ....

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2003-09-25          64814

I do agree with not using the pressure washer on engines. Oil seals and so forth are designed to keep oil in and don't work well to keep high velocity water out.

I used to race motorcycles in the California desert and the debate about pressure washers or coin operated car washes was alive and well even then. The bottom line is that the guys that would clean off their motorcycle engines at teh car wash may have looked better when the bikes were new, but after a couple of seasons the insides of the motor had rust where the ones that were left "dirty" looked much better inside and generally required fewer repairs.

I have been very careful with my pressure washer since that time. I certainly avoid any area where high pressure water could come near any vent or shaft seal. ....

View my Photos
bobad1

2003-10-03          65420

Geez! Never thought of that! I use a power washer on my engine about once a month. If I didn't, the engine would be extremely hard to inspect and do maintenance on. Heck, it would be extremely hard to FIND! ....

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2003-10-03          65456

Bobad, is your engine leaking fluid that is causing it to get so dirty, or is it mud and other dirt? ....

View my Photos
Blueman

2003-10-06          65661

Just a quick follow up, and thanks for all your input, I appreciate the help since I am new to the compact tractor world! I've got the local dealer picking it up this week, unfortunately, I have what appears to be hydraulic oil all over the place, not sure where the leak is. I'll update later. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2003-10-06          65664

If there's oil all over the place than it may be a high-pressure leak. If you go looking for it, use a piece of cardboard rather than your fingers.

Pinhole leaks often can't be seen and there's enough pressure for the oil to penetrate skin. If that happens the solution often is medical treatment within an hour or so or face the possibility of amputation. Hydraulics aren't really scary stuff but there are some things that are good to know about.

View my Photos
omb00621

2011-10-13          180868

Blueman
I also have a TC45D with antifreeze and hydraulic fluid on the floor. Did you find out where the leaks are? Mine are coming from on top and cannot be seen without disassembly. Thanks, DB ....

View my Photos
auerbach

2011-10-14          180874

I hope you get a reply, but this thread is a decade old. ....

View my Photos
Blueman

2011-10-14          180879

Wow, I haven't been on this site in ages, and miss keeping up with some of you. Still have the TC45D, around 800 hours. The antifreeze leak was an O ring that was almost impossible to get to...can't remember if we ever did fix that, just add some occasionally. And, I'm getting old, I forgot what exactly the hydraulic leak was, but as I mentioned, still using the Boomer. I do know that the 3PH will struggle to stay up under load at idle, I'm not sure what is causing that.
Hope everyone is doing well. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login