TC-30 First Impressions: New Holland Tractor Review  -- New Holland Tractors Discussion Forum and Review TC-30 First Impressions: New Holland Tractor Review -- New Holland Tractors Discussion Forum

parts   |   manuals   |   discussion   |   photos   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   contact   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index
New As Posted | Active Subjects

www.emerichsales.com - New & Used Equipment
          View Tractors For Sale!

www.partsbynet.com - Lawn and Garden Equipment Parts

Bernardsville Landscape Lighting
Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > New Holland Tractor Review Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 04-10-2003, 18:40 Post: 52945
boatman

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 TC-30, First Impressions

I have now had my TC30 for exactly one week. When I tested it at the dealership it had .3/Hr on the clock. When I took delivery it had .7/Hr. and it now has 15.4 hours. I have done a lot of mowing with a 60" rotary cutter, some loader work, and some minor material spreading with a rear blade (I don't have a box scraper yet, but soon). I like the spring-ride seat (very comfortable) but it would be nice if it had a swivel. I like the flat (steel), uncluttered rear fenders (provide a very nice support for my forarm when leaning over seeing how close I can get while mowing along an 800' irrigation line). Ilove the 9x3 trans (the shift lever is on the dash just to the left of the steering wheel and 2nd and reverse are in direct line so that I don't even need to look when shifting from forward to reverse - works great when I'm backing the mower in and out of tight spots). Also, I don't even have to take my hand off of the wheel to shift (very nice) all steering and shifting is done with the left hand. The 7308 loader has worked flawlessly and picks up a full 60" bucket of gravel just fine (unsure of the weight I've had in the bucket). The pasture I mowed was very rough in spots so the fastest I could go was mid-range second gear. In the next week or so I will see how the tractor pulls my 14" two bottom plow (I'll let you know). By the way, my wife mowed some of the pasture (the tractor is actually hers) and she wanted to know why we waited so long to buy one (a compact tractor that is - she's afraid to use my old JD 50). One thing that this tractor does not have is a Parking Brake Warning (Idiot) light. After stopping and getting off and then back on the tractor, I resumed mowing and noticed a slight gear type, whining noise for about 50 yards before I noticed that I had forgotten to release the Parking Brake. After releasing the brake - no more noise. The good news is that the tractor has plenty of power (mower+brake). The bad news is that I now know why some people call that an Idiot light(because Idiots like me sometimes need one).

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us | Stumble This

04-10-2003, 22:34 Post: 52954
sweetbrier

TC-30, First Impressions

Congrates on the new tractor ..mine has about 25 hrs on it so far and the only thing i was didipointed about was the loader wont lift the front end of the ground ...you can roll the bucket to do it ..might need the hydro pressure checked ...what did it cost you with the 7308 loader on it ..... wondered what the diff in pricing was ....

04-11-2003, 05:45 Post: 52958
john.
2003-04-11 00:00:00
 TC-30, First Impressions

sounds great boatman! im real interested in how well it bush hogs with a 5' hog,i noticed sweet said his wouldnt lift the front off the ground with the loader,how about yours? some other threads said to bump up the pressure or something like that.i belive it was using a gauge so you didnt go over the pressure ratings.have fun,john!

04-11-2003, 07:18 Post: 52966
TomG

TP Contributor

Filter by User
 TC-30, First Impressions

SB: My loader lifts the front wheels fine when the bucket is angled down but it won't when the bucket is flat. My particular loader just doesn't lower that much. Holding down-pressure with the lift with the bucket flat takes a bit of weight off the wheels and then the pressure relief valve opens. The valve opens because the cylinders are at the limit of their travel rather than because the hydraulics lack power.

I think that a fair number of loaders are like mine. If you haven't already, I'd try raising the front with the lift when the bucket is angled down before I'd start thinking about adjusting the relief pressure. I've also heard that the lift on some loaders just won't raise the wheels on some tractors. Adjusting the relief may improve the power available and that's what should be done if the pressure is below spec. Raising the pressure above spec is done but then the owner takes some additional responsibility for safety and equipment damage.

04-11-2003, 11:20 Post: 52987
AC5ZO

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 TC-30, First Impressions

NH loaders that I have seen look like they are mechanically limited on the downstroke as Tom discussed. I have a 16LA, and the main loader arms just don't go that low to lift off the front end. But when you tilt the bucket down, it will lift the front end easily with either the bucket or main cylinders.

Don't assume that the pressure is low in the hydraulic circuit. It is not advisable to boost the hydraulic pressure beyond the factory specs and would probably void your warranty. There are also safety concerns. The 7308 is a very capable loader without hotrodding it.

04-11-2003, 13:19 Post: 52990
boatman

Filter by User
 TC-30, First Impressions

Sweetbrier, The TC-30:$11850 (included R4 tires w/calcium chloride). The 7308 loader:$3000 (included 60" HD bucket with capability for bolt-on edge).
John, I'm using a 60" King Kutter Rotary Cutter. I have mowed 7 acres of thick, overgrown,uneven, wet pasture including some brush. Both TC-30 and mower have worked flawlessly (the pasture almost looks like a golf course now -what a difference). The loader will not lift the front end off of the ground unless the bucket is angled down. It is not that the hydraulics are weak - it's just the design limitations. It will lift the front end off of the ground easily by rolling the bucket or by simply angling the bucket first (either cylinders will lift the front end).

04-11-2003, 16:23 Post: 53005
drcjv.

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 TC-30, First Impressions

Sweetbrier, I have had several discussions on other threads about turning up loader pressure. Although I may not agree with others when it comes to saftey and warranty issues(my pressure was turned up by my dealer)I can respect their opinions. I totally disagree when someone tells you not to assume the loader pressure is low. My 7308 would also not lift the front up without curling the bucket nor would it lift very much. The loader is limited in how low it can go, but if you put something about 6" high under a level bucket it should raise the front. My loader would not, so I had the dealer check the pressure. It was over 300psi low from the factory. I am a doctor and I would never tell a patient NOT to assume a symptom could mean they have a problem unless the proper testing to prove otherwise was done. I would definitly have it checked. I had my pressure turned up and now the loader can lift well over 2000lbs. If it is low you can decide if you want to boost past factory settings or not. good luck!

04-11-2003, 23:09 Post: 53013
AC5ZO

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 TC-30, First Impressions

I guess that given that logic, Doc, if you prescribed an antibiotic or other drug, I should take more than you recommend to get more action out of the drug and get better quicker.

Actions have consequences. Cranking up the pressure on a hydraulic system is a safety risk for both man and machine. And as you say, you are no expert.

I have read your statements before where you have said that the best safety device on the tractor is the operator, and I do agree with you on that point. However, I also believe that it is irresponsible behavior to suggest that it is OK run hydraulic pressures at levels beyond what the designers and engineers specify.

04-12-2003, 05:55 Post: 53020
drcjv.

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 TC-30, First Impressions

AC unfortunatly you missed the analogy. It would be more like you told me you had back pain and I ASSUMED it was a sprain/strain without the the proper testing and it really turned out to be prostate cancer. My point was directed more towards diagnosing a possible problem with the loader than fixing it. Like I said we can disagree about the safety issue, But I Know of two other 7308 loaders that had low pressure from the factory and needed to be adjusted.(it was the dealers idea to check pressure) You are correct, I am not an expert on loaders but I knew enough to know something was wrong with my loader. I guess if I would have ask you (an expert) what the problem was with my loader you would have ASSUMED It was operator error or some other unrelated issue because as you stated earlier you would not ASSUME it was a problem with the loader pressure. I don't think making sure the pressure settings are correct is hotrodding.

04-12-2003, 08:12 Post: 53026
cutter

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 TC-30, First Impressions

My TC29D was limited by the length of the lift cylinders. Both my JD 4100 and my current Kubota 2910 easily lift the front end and can dig to a significant depth. I was surprised by the NH, and after taking a look at the design determined that mine was limited by cylinders and not low pressure. I was able to dig to a depth of about a foot when installing drainage in my barn floor but the rest had to be done by hand. On the other hand, the large bucket and lift capacity proved effective for carrying the huge rocks left over from my water line installation. These machines are different in ways that may affect certain uses, that is why most people on this board recommend to a new purchaser that they determine use and then purchase. Cost me several thousand not to do that initially. Had I been a member of this board at the time, I could have flown to Hawaii on the money I would have saved in trading cost.

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > New Holland Tractor Review Forum

Thread 52945 Filter by Poster:
AC5ZO 5 | Billy 1 | boatman 4 | cutter 2 | DRankin 1 | drcjv. 4 | glenn1720nh 1 | john. 1 | sweetbrier 1 | TomG 2 |

Most Viewed

+ New Holland TC33D Tractor Frame broke in Half
+ Boomer 8N CVT
+ TN-75 reliability question
+ AG vs Industrial Tires
+ Ls Tractors Rebadged New Hollands?
+ New Holland TC29D rear hydraulics
+ Need advice before Buying Ford NH 1720 tractor
+ NH 7308 LOADER ON , OFF....
+ New Holland TZ25 DA - not feeling the love!
+ TC25 Boomer Vs. Kubota B2400

Most Discussion

+ New Holland TC33D Tractor Fram
+ Liquid Tire Ballast
+ JD 4210 or TC35D????
+ New Holland TC 33D Hydraulics
+ TC 33D Blowing Fuses
+ Lights on ROPS
+ Buying TC34DA
+ Diesel Fuel
+ TC25D rear pto shaft broken
+ Boomer 8N CVT