valvetrain tc30: New Holland Tractor Review  -- New Holland Tractors Discussion Forum and Review valvetrain tc30: New Holland Tractor Review -- New Holland Tractors Discussion Forum

parts   |   manuals   |   discussion   |   photos   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   contact   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index
New As Posted | Active Subjects

www.emerichsales.com - New & Used Equipment
          View Tractors For Sale!

www.partsbynet.com - Lawn and Garden Equipment Parts

Bernardsville Landscape Lighting
Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > New Holland Tractor Review Forum

Page [ 1 ] |
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 03-20-2003, 19:13 Post: 51531
samuel
2003-03-20 19:13:20
 valvetrain tc30

NEW TC30 2HRS RUNNING TIME STARTED MAKING NOISE RATTLING SOUND FROM VALVECOVER. MECHANIC SAID VALVE OUT OF ADJUSTMENT AND CHANGED OIL IN IT AT SAME TIME OF SERVICE. WOULD ONLY MAKE NOISE WHEN HOT. NOW 12 HRS ON TC30 AND VALVES MAKE ATICKING NOISE NOT LOUD BUT I HEAR IT.MOTOR RUNS FINE OTHERWISE IS THIS JUST NORMAL VALVETRAIN CLATTER. CAN SOMEONE EXPLAIN DIESEL KNOCK TO ME THANKS.

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us | Technorati | Furl | Stumble This

03-20-2003, 21:04 Post: 51538
Peters

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster
 valvetrain tc30

Knock in a gas engine is caused by pre-ignition of gas before the detonation with the spark plug. The compression forces or carbon build up ignite the gas/air mixture before it reaches top dead center on the cylinder stroke. Premature detination can cause considerable damage in the engine as the valves may not be close and the ignition tends to want to force the piston in the wrong direction.
A diesel engine uses the compressionary heat to ignite the fuel. The engine's structure is stronger to hold the high compression and accomidate ignition of the fuel. Fuel is added with injectors either directly into the combustion chamber or in the area above the valve. Depending on the timing of the injection considerable knock can occur.
Peters

03-20-2003, 23:10 Post: 51541
sweetbrier

valvetrain tc30

I too have a new Tc30 with about 8 hours on it ... havent heard any engine noise other than the norm ..all diesels sound pretty much the same ,,,but I have had problems with the 7308 loader breaking off the greas zirks on the loader cylinders...the dealer said it happends ...have you had any other things happen

03-21-2003, 05:46 Post: 51549
TomG

TP Contributor

valvetrain tc30

Maybe for your own piece of mind you could be at the dealers when another TC-20 is running so you'd be able to compare the sounds of two different engines.

In generally, a diesel is just fine as long as it starts easily and doesn't make exhaust smoke except a bit of gray until it warms up and then on acceleration. Almost everything that's out of adjustment or wrong with a diesel will make it smoke.

I don't know if the mechanic adjusted the valves during the servicing and if so whether there was any change in the sound. The mechanic may be waiting until the 50-hour servicing to go through the adjustments. For all I know, excessive valve clearances may be desirable during the initial break-in. Wide valve clearances do make valve heads run a bit cooler.

I'm guessing that the valve-train and the diesel knock are separate questions. Many diesels do have a characteristic knock or ping and clatter that is normal and isn't pre-ignition knock. In addition to what Peters said, seriously wrong fuel of excessive use of gas engine additives also could give pre-ignition. I say seriously wrong fuel because I run lighter #1-diesel during the winter rather than standard #2 and it doesn't give me pre-ignition. I use #1 fuel because there is little potential for it to gel during cold weather and it starts a bit easier than #2.

03-28-2003, 21:04 Post: 52102
SAMUEL
2003-03-28 00:00:00
 valvetrain tc30

THANKS FOR THE REPLY I WILL BRING IT BACK TO THE DEALER AGAIN AND SEE WHAT HE THINKS

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] |

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > New Holland Tractor Review Forum

Thread 51531 Filter by Poster:
Peters 1 | samuel 2 | sweetbrier 1 | TomG 1 |

Most Viewed

+ New Holland TC33D Tractor Frame broke in Half
+ Boomer 8N CVT
+ TN-75 reliability question
+ AG vs Industrial Tires
+ Ls Tractors Rebadged New Hollands?
+ New Holland TC29D rear hydraulics
+ Need advice before Buying Ford NH 1720 tractor
+ NH 7308 LOADER ON , OFF....
+ New Holland TZ25 DA - not feeling the love!
+ TC25 Boomer Vs. Kubota B2400

Most Discussion

+ New Holland TC33D Tractor Fram
+ Liquid Tire Ballast
+ JD 4210 or TC35D????
+ New Holland TC 33D Hydraulics
+ TC 33D Blowing Fuses
+ Lights on ROPS
+ Buying TC34DA
+ Diesel Fuel
+ TC25D rear pto shaft broken
+ Boomer 8N CVT